lamping with the .22 and the hornet

aister

Scarvister picked me up last night around 7.15 and we headed out for a lamping session. We had a great night with some good shooting. Scarvister was picking up what he shot with the .22 for feeding ferrets/birds with and we left what was shot with the hornet. I was really pleased with my 35gr V-max homeloads, anything in the lamp was just point and shoot which was what I was after when buying the hornet. Scarvister was using his new to him CZ .22 with a hawk scope and SAK silencer which was oh so quiet compared to the un-moderated hornet. We finished at 11.30 after a successful night (except for the hinge breaking on the back door of the disco) with 117 rabbits and I was glad to see no evidence of myxy which was in the same area not that long ago. Scarvister has better pics he might put up later but here is one off my phone.

post-29954-0-10784500-1362397501_thumb.jpg

It was a very good night shooting, but i think our efforts were in vain after driving back through places that we had shot and seeing even more rabbits than the first time around. Not so good for the farmer but a lot more great sport for us. Aister dont think my picture is much better than yours but i will post it anyway.

post-62685-0-53819400-1362426870_thumb.jpg

Interested to hear about carcass damage using the v-max, do you know the velocity? Cant get 35's shooting well very far out in my own CZ so am still wondering how explosive they are on bunnies

I obviously can't speak for the handloads, but factory 35's from my Ruger .22 Hornet leave a bunny inedible. Head shot's out to about 100 yards still cause too much damage.

Interested to hear about carcass damage using the v-max, do you know the velocity? Cant get 35's shooting well very far out in my own CZ so am still wondering how explosive they are on bunnies

I havn't tried them through the chrono yet but they are quite messy, I am guessing 2850-2950fps, the PPU soft points are less devastating. These homeloads are giving me 3/8" at 100yds but 2" at 200yds.

Thats alot of rabbit, sold them?

I can get £1.50 a head shot rabbit. That 150 count would of been a nice earner!

U. :)

No market for them up here mate, wish there was :/

They leave big holes in them kent. It pretty much guts them.

Ive shot 35grs past 200m with good accuracy. Not sure what damage was like because i couldnt be bothered to walk to pick them.