Shocked

ayano3

I have not really took a look in all the other topics on this site for some time. I have a look at sale items occasionally but usually look in here. I have a day off the Pigeons due to the weather so thought I would have a look at what goes on in other subjects...and guys I AM SHOCKED. I have read some things that I had to read more than once to believe..I will copy & paste just a couple of the things I read. Guys, Its a pleasure to read our section.

I read where one guy wants to go shoot something other than clays ..The first time he went on a game shoot he expected Pheasants to be in 'flocks' ..'How do I go about getting a shoot? What am I legally allowed to shoot with an SGC?'........ I don't really care what I shoot.. I just want to shoot something other than Clays !

and see the link below

http://forums.pigeon...ada-geese-shot/

Edited by ayano3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not really took a look in all the other topics on this site for some time. I have a look at sale items occasionally but usually look in here. I have a day off the Pigeons due to the weather so thought I would have a look at what goes on in other subjects...and guys I AM SHOCKED. I have read some things that I had to read more than once to believe..I will copy & paste just a couple of the things I read. Guys, Its a pleasure to read our section.

I read where one guy wants to go shoot something other than clays ..The first time he went on a game shoot he expected Pheasants to be in 'flocks' ..'How do I go about getting a shoot? What am I legally allowed to shoot with an SGC?'........ I don't really care what I shoot.. I just want to shoot something other than Clays !

and see the link below

http://forums.pigeon...ada-geese-shot/

Well at least he was straight up about it, haven't we all seen and met those who talk a good talk but end up being full of ............. and just interested in slaughter? I know I have

Hi Ayano3,

I understand what you mean and the way it makes you feel...cringe...

but...

At the same time, I understand that these posts are from young guns, (its not an excuse ,they should read a bit more about codes, laws and quarry), but we have been all young and in need to learn from more experience hunters.

Thats why its so important this forum, were young guns can learn the best practice and etiquette, its really important for more experience hunter like myself, I will never stop learning 9I still have to learn lots), especially with such a pool of experience that this forum offers.

Hence its critical in my view, that when a young gun or experience gun asks something....lets say...something a little silly, instead of squashing them down, its better to help them by giving the best advise available....like many of you have done.

Mark

Rather out of order chap...it is shocking that people have a SGC but don't understand where and wha they can see it for.

Why is it shocking. The guy got a gun for clays only - fair enough. Now wants to broaden his horizons - fair enough. Asking how to go about it on a shooting forum - fair enough.

I fail to see what is so shocking about that, would you rtaher he just go out and shoot whatever & wherever he fancies? Everyone has to learn somewhere, I think that is what southeastpete rightly alludes to.

Why is it shocking. The guy got a gun for clays only - fair enough. Now wants to broaden his horizons - fair enough. Asking how to go about it on a shooting forum - fair enough.

I fail to see what is so shocking about that, would you rtaher he just go out and shoot whatever & wherever he fancies? Everyone has to learn somewhere, I think that is what southeastpete rightly alludes to.

Did you drive a car straight away...or did you do some theory first???

And

You agreeing with Southeastpete, in calling somebody a rather offencesive name???...just because he as exspress concerns about people not knowing what they doing....well if you think like that you are as bad as each other.

I , don,t think we need personal insults on the forum southeastpete, perhaps a more constructive post would be more useful.

Ayano3 I dont think the canada goose thread you link to is the best example of someone doing things wrong .

At least the guys has asked for advice before going out and shooting the geese with lead shot etc , we all have things to learn sometime or other .

Far better to be like that than others who post on here about things they have already done breaking laws in the process only to comment "oh I didn't know that " after its pointed out .

I have seen people posting things on here from game shot on a Sunday to ducks shot with steel , numerous threads on baiting/ lamping woodpigeon electronic callers for geese to name just a few .

I think any responsible shooter has a responsibility to find out what they plan to do is legal BEFORE the event .

Its good for us youngsters to ask questions, i'm sure many of you have seen me asking lots of questions, but people need to go about it in the right way and have the right attitude. If someone has the "kill it all" attitude then of course people are going to be worried.

With the vast amount of information available on the internet, i don't think there is any excuse for not being able to find anything out.

Its good for us youngsters to ask questions, i'm sure many of you have seen me asking lots of questions, but people need to go about it in the right way and have the right attitude. If someone has the "kill it all" attitude then of course people are going to be worried.

With the vast amount of information available on the internet, i don't think there is any excuse for not being able to find anything out.

For me the " kill it all" attitude certainly exists among some on here , for instance I have over the last few years seen very few people complaining about their farmers cattle suffering from TB , but as soon as the cull was mentioned we start getting the how can I shoot a badger posts , now I am not Brian May in disguise but Have no wish whatsoever to shoot a badger ,yes I understand the problems they cause and have nothing against the cull , but do I want to see everybody who owns a rifle out trying to shoot the brock to extinction just because they can , no I dont.

That is why the government licence the cull and ensure responsible marksmen carry it out .

For me the " kill it all" attitude certainly exists among some on here , for instance I have over the last few years seen very few people complaining about their farmers cattle suffering from TB , but as soon as the cull was mentioned we start getting the how can I shoot a badger posts , now I am not Brian May in disguise but Have no wish whatsoever to shoot a badger ,yes I understand the problems they cause and have nothing against the cull , but do I want to see everybody who owns a rifle out trying to shoot the brock to extinction just because they can , no I dont.

That is why the government licence the cull and ensure responsible marksmen carry it out .

+1 :good: :good: :good:

Ok, I'm sorry for the name, that was out of order. But it gets my goat that every newbie who asks for advice is jumped on! At least they are asking for advice BEFOREHAND. I see others, who should know better postin pictures of rock doves, woodcock shot after dark, and game shot out of season etc.

The day someone posts I went out and shot in a public park, then jump on them for being an idiot. But people need to learn somewhere. The guy who was askin where to shoot, was taken out by experienced friends, or shot at a club. He hasn't even tried to shoot elsewhere before seeking proper advice. Seems sensible to me. His flo obviously thought so.

And the other chap was asked to shoot something he doesn't normally shoot, and so has come to find out the best practice, again PRIOR to doing it. He takes that information on board, and becomes more knowledgable.

You may have learnt from a father or neighbour or uncle. Perhaps these people like the sport, but don't have someone to turn to in person, so turn to a useful resource like PW. Soon we wot have any new members if they all get abused.

Again I apologise for the name calling, but I sat by my point.

I think the whole idea of this forum is for people to ask for advice who are new to our sport which we all love, alot of the post's are from young ones coming through who haven't much idea on what to do, not all of them have been taught and past on the right and wrongs of shooting like some of us on here by our grandfathers, fathers,college etc, its good to see them asking advice before they go out and shoot something there not supposed to, I know sometimes they make mistakes and they learn from them, its good people post on here on whats the best way to go about gaining experiance, I will gladly help anyone wanting advice especially young guns as they are our future of shooting.

I guess that the internet is now the place to ask the world how to do things right. Never had that when I started out so started by learning before ever owning a gun. Maybe I'm too old or stuck in my ways. I guess its best not to read. I should just stick to my shooting and not bother with this modern technology.

I guess that the internet is now the place to ask the world how to do things right. Never had that when I started out so started by learning before ever owning a gun. Maybe I'm too old or stuck in my ways. I guess its best not to read. I should just stick to my shooting and not bother with this modern technology.

neither did I but it's the way things have gone I have alwys thought whatever you want to know ask for it be it knowing alot of people or joining a forum as they seem to do nowadays if they don't know many people in the shooting world.

Did you drive a car straight away...or did you do some theory first???

And

You agreeing with Southeastpete, in calling somebody a rather offencesive name???...just because he as exspress concerns about people not knowing what they doing....well if you think like that you are as bad as each other.

I suppose when you learned to drive you had the skills of Mansell and never asked a question? As for expressing concern, maybe he could give some helpful advice rather than starting a thread to express his outrage that a question got asked on a forum?

southeastpete was right, even if he was rude. He's apologised now, but he is still right.

I suppose when you learned to drive you had the skills of Mansell and never asked a question? As for expressing concern, maybe he could give some helpful advice rather than starting a thread to express his outrage that a question got asked on a forum?

southeastpete was right, even if he was rude. He's apologised now, but he is still right.

He didnt make a point so how could he be right?

I often read posts and shake my head a bit, but then I think back to what I was like when I was a youngster and some of the stuff I got up to LOL.

So, I think credit should be given to those novices (and not so novices) who do ask questions before pulling the trigger, no such thing as a daft question.

I did reply first, but in my anger at yet another closed minded post from someone who knows it all and expects newbies to learn without asking, I was rude and got my post deleted...

I don't think expressing concern is being closed minded?

Edited by Big Mat

There's nothing wrong with asking questions it is though a case of how you ask. And what shocks me is some of the replies not the questions.

Asking questions is not a new phenomena people have been doing it for years without the aid of the Internet. I'd say the majority of people asking a reasonable question will get a reasonable reply even though they may not like the answer.

Ayano3 is right in my opinion and I'd help most people get started

Joe...what I ment was, you study theory before practicing, something that young guns tend not to do.

Ayano3 has all the rights to express his concerns by pointing out some posts, where people have made a mistake or don't know the law or code of practice, he as highlighted a problem, that toghether we have to address, with good advise and sharing our experiences.

southeastpete was caught up in a anger response, that made him wrong.

But

It takes an adult to publicly apologise, I think we all apreciated that he did apologize and exsplained himself, thank you Southeastpete.

yeh :lol:

Its right that new shooters should ask questions but , like many on here I am concerned at the number of people who no not seem to have a clue what they can and cant shoot and yet have a SGC. It was unbelevable there was a guy who did not know the difference between a moorhen and a coot on the forum the other day. I and I dare say all the guys i shoot with knew that before we even thought about shooting and certantly well before our teenage years.[/i]

A basic grounding in our wildlife and countryside management is very important for anyone who shoots live quarry. When that is lacking at least members of this forum can point new shooters in the right direction , but how much attention is played to our advice I wonder if the asker does not have that basic grounding.

Edited by anser2

I've been extremely lucky with my wildfowling career so far, and ayano3 (And a few others from here) has had a major part to play in it. He's been a great teacher to me but i would imagine he has given me the time of day due to how i approached him. In my personnel opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a great site to ask questions but we need to ask the right questions on here. In a world were school teachers may now be able to carry guns in america i think we need to be very careful about what we say and how we say it. Someone who just writes that they want to kill something as they've had enough of clays may not be painting the best picture however someone who has learnt the art of shooting on clays and now has the confidence to shoot live quarry and would love to learn the field craft from people on here may get a better response.