Ford garage talking ********

poorpeet

2012 Mondeo diesel with 18k on it. Driving down the m20 earlier when it lost all power. No warning lights but could not get more than 2000rpm so limped to my local Ford dealer Luckly I was on my way home from a meeting close to home.

Company car so left it there for them to investigate.

Just had a call to say it was the cold weather (only -4 for Gods sake!) causing the diesel to congeal in the filter & it would need a new one!

Started to argue but company paying so said ok but seems odd as Ford do cold weather testing down to 'kin freezing! & I'm sure the fleet manager will be in touch.

I'd be surprised if it was the temp causing it but what do you lot think?

Diesel can turn into a semi solid in cold weather. Once it turns to this state, it cannot be turned back. It is possible that some of the diesel has congealed in the tank, and has been picked up by the filter resulting in fuel starvation. This will either shut the car down, or reduce the flow of fuel to the injectors (causing limp mode). The garage may be correct with their diagnosis.

My Frontera goes into LIMP mode if No1 cylinder injector packs up, its called limp mode to get you home, so no damage to the engine:

Vauxhall only charge about £400 for them, I bought a second hand one: Thats why they will ONLY rev to 2000 revs:

it is a sticky point with the off road Frontera boys.. will not go above 2000 moving, but rev stationary they will go into the Red:

Edited by subsonicnat

iv been a diesel mechanic for nearly 10 years. i have never heard of diesel freezing above -10. but it could be right about bio diesel. the best time to fill your diesel is in the evening as this will reduce the moisture content in the tank. also most fuel filter have a water trap and id check it at least once a month. its pretty easy to do and you shouldnt spill more than a few small drops of fuel. also the best thing you can do with your own diesel car is to put a little 2 stroke oil in with every fill make sure it is Not fully synthetic, if you dont belive google 2 stroke oil in diesel. it really makes a difference. i work on engines from 2.0ltr to 16.00ltr and have come across most problems with diesels.

bxxxxxxx diesel is guarenteed to minus 10 deg these days,only had diesels cars for last 30 years an never had one freeze up yet,my truck used to freeze up way back.i have ad 4 mondeo,s in a row never had that problem got mk4 now.