Kukuri knife Info

IXI KARL IXI

I have a kukuri knife which I have had since I was a kid, was given it after routing round a cupboard at my nana's. I was given the story of it was her brothers and was brought back from when he was in the army. I was going to clean and polish the blade and have it as a semi usable knife. Before I do anything to it I wanted to know if its as old as its said to be, may have been a story to keep a kid happy second is it worth anything money or historical value before I do anything to it. I've had a look on line and can't find the mark which is on the blade I have. So up to now I am non the wiser. I know the forum is about shooting but maybe someone has something.

image_zps3fe79345.jpg

image_zps1ba969a5.jpg

image_zps7e94bfe5.jpg

Yeah am going to leave it alone until I can find out any info. Sent a email off to a gurkha museum to see if they can shed any light.

Wouldn't go at it with wire wool, wouldn't touch it until you know what it is, saw a episode of pawn stars where a bloke polished his and it was worth less....

I had seen this ep i think and is why am holding back, seen one where the knife would have been worth a couple of hundred dollars and after cleaning was worth about fifty . I mean I know its not going to be the find of century and be worth hundreds, am just thinking would be a shame to abuse something, which could be passed on and maybe one day be worth something one day. Also its a bit respect of the blade I mean if it is a original knife the original owner would of had a lot of respect for it.

Is it true that a Gurka would not draw his knife unless it spilt blood, and did a youing man have to be-head a goat with one blow to prove his manhood??

Blackpowder

I don't know about beheading a goat with it but I was always of the belief that whenever a Gurka drew his Kukuri(sp) that it had to draw blood and that was what the small notch was put in the blade just below the handle for. - If a Gurka drew his Kukuri but did not draw blood "in anger" the Gurks would slide his thumb across the small notch cut into the blade to draw some of his own blood.

Whether this is true or not I don't know!

I used to have one which had the two small/minature (About 4 inches long) Kukuries in the same sheath but I don't remember what happened to that one, I have one with a scabard that I was given - I think this one is a reproduction though and worthless!

I don't know about beheading a goat with it but I was always of the belief that whenever a Gurka drew his Kukuri(sp) that it had to draw blood and that was what the small notch was put in the blade just below the handle for. - If a Gurka drew his Kukuri but did not draw blood "in anger" the Gurks would slide his thumb across the small notch cut into the blade to draw some of his own blood.

Whether this is true or not I don't know!

I used to have one which had the two small/minature (About 4 inches long) Kukuries in the same sheath but I don't remember what happened to that one, I have one with a scabard that I was given - I think this one is a reproduction though and worthless!

On my kukri, the notch in the blade is to hold the knife into the sheath. (Though it could of course also be used to draw some of the user's blood if necessary!)

Mine's made from an old truck leaf spring by a bloke in Nepal, and is a lovely knife. Haven't really used it for that much, though I do find it does a great job of destroying old bank cards!

The Kukri was just a farmers tool used for cutting rice and weeding before it was used for war. It was just that the Gurkhas picked up what they had to hand and were skilled with and for many this was the Kurkri and the rest is stories to romanticise it all really from what ive been told by a serving Gurkha !

http://utting.org/site/late-victorian-private-purchase-military-kukri/

Karl, try this link, I think you have a Victorian Kukri......

Your a star cheers for that, had read and looks very similar. If I get anything back from the emails I have sent out I will let people know. Goes to show "ask and you shall receive" thank you everyone for the responses and advice. Am thinking of making a sheath for it as I don't have one and wrapping it up with a bit oil on the blade

mine doesn't look much like any on that link, it has a bone handle, brass end cap, and silver bands, it's marked military issue so i might just have to do some digging.

Further down the link there is a bone handled kukri, apparently made for women !!, didn't see any silver bands though :)

Further down the link there is a bone handled kukri, apparently made for women !!, didn't see any silver bands though :)

no it's not that one, the blade is too thin, mine is single fullered and fairly hefty, the handle is darker, probably horn, i'll dig it out of the shed and put some pictures up. i don't think it's an officers kukuri.

its a Gurkha Kukuri I have 3 or 4 different types the one you have is the every day use Kukuri for in the field it should have two smaller knifes in with it these are used to sharpen it,as for the Gurkha having to draw blood with them its a myth I served 14 years with them and they don't have to draw blood.

they do however kill a yak or type of cow with one but they are about 4 ft long. these are/where kept in the armory with the rifles. oh and Gurkha in Nepal don't eat beef

Edited by fergie