novice's advice to other novices

indio

Started pigeon shooting a bit more regulalry and thought i might pass on a few observations to other newbies.

1/read as many posts as you can on this site......loads of years experience will make your day more successful

2/ get some kit you can afford without going over the top ie shell decoys to start maybe seconhand camo net etc etc

3/ do your recce's and watch where you are going to shoot I've found that afew hours trying to get to know flight lines and feeding patterns helps

4/ don't get despondent if on the day you choose to go there are not as many birds around as you saw yesterday or will see tomorrow that seems to be normal

5/ when setting your hide remember shape/shadow/shine/silhouette/movement/movement/movement

6/ dress warmly.....when there is no action it always seems colder than when you do get birds around

7/ don't worry about the How the - - - - days. ie how the - - - - did i miss that or how the - - - - did I hit that. Sometimes i can't hit sweet fa and other days i can (mainly i can't !!)

8/ remember the Sod's law factors such as : birds will always arrive when

a/ you light a fag

b/ you pour a cuppa

c/ you want a wee

d/ you are adjusting your hide/clothes etc

e/ when you re-arrange your decoys

f/ your phone rings

g/ you are setting up or more often when you haven't seen a bird for two hours, you're p'd off and start to pack up

9/ remember waht you take into the field/wood you take back out with you.fag butts/packets / litter / spent cartridges / birds and of course double check you have all your kit

Lastly, remember even the best have bad days and if you can't take a joke find something else to do with your time .

Kind regards

Number 8, a and b sure fire ways of getting them in a. I roll a fag even if i don't want one because i know that when i get my baccy nicely evend out in the paper ready to roll one will appear in the decoys ,so i end up with my tobacco floating in my nice fresh cup of tea. 8 , b. You will definatly get some come in if you have your cup between your legs whilst pouring very hot water from your flask into it. So take lots of baccy and wear 3 pairs of trousers so you don't burn ya nuts.

Nicely put, let's hope a lot of people read it!

Thanks for your encouragement

Yep number 8 a to g all true, but nothing brings them in like the good old ring tone, next time my phone rings i might just throw it at the decoys B)

I've had plenty days when i might have hit more by throwing something at 'em

Yep number 8 a to g all true, but nothing brings them in like the good old ring tone, next time my phone rings i might just throw it at the decoys B)

Great post

I would add one more recommendation

Take some toilet roll, holly leaves hurt!!!!

Great post

I would add one more recommendation

Take some toilet roll, holly leaves hurt!!!!

that's one i will defintely take advice on !!

Number 8, a and b sure fire ways of getting them in a. I roll a fag even if i don't want one because i know that when i get my baccy nicely evend out in the paper ready to roll one will appear in the decoys ,so i end up with my tobacco floating in my nice fresh cup of tea. 8 , b. You will definatly get some come in if you have your cup between your legs whilst pouring very hot water from your flask into it. So take lots of baccy and wear 3 pairs of trousers so you don't burn ya nuts.

I thought i might have been the only one who has either p'd down his leg , burnt his face on a fag or poured coffee in the sanwiches but I see i'm not alone as i thought.

Excellent. I think however you should highlight point 8 a-g as the most important of all the advice.

ATB,

Lee

Excellent. I think however you should highlight point 8 a-g as the most important of all the advice.

ATB,

Lee

Helps me cut down on the fags 'cos more end up on the floor than i smoke !

Exellent post and advice. :good:

Exellent post and advice. :good:

Kind words Sir. thanks

Good post,you sure you are a novice,because you not mentioned anything about setting up 40 yrds in the wrong place.

Best tip,wave your tobacco pouch about :lol:

Had previous experience with rabbiting/ferreting but not pigeons.

maybe like some others, i've sat in the hide gnashing my teeth and swearing when they land about 70/100 yds further out than you want.

sense of humour helps (sometimes !)

Good post,you sure you are a novice,because you not mentioned anything about setting up 40 yrds in the wrong place.

Best tip,wave your tobacco pouch about :lol:

good post mate, well done :good:

Thanks , kind words Sir

Excellent post and spot on, I was out this morning over rape, been loads of birds in there all week ...... Until today....... then as you so rightly stated: 8 a & b came into play after nothing for an hour and half! Total 2 birds down in 3 hours, just nothing playing ball, (number 4!) whinged all the way back to the motor (number 7) but will be back to do it all again !

Top post mate!

Steve

Good post I went last week not much happening then gets the buttys out and yes just like fishing things start happening crow drops in for a look😮 to quick he gone buttys every were finish buttys then roll a fag and pigeons drop in on the decoys I think that's called Sod's law