Recoil, a slap in the face.

sitsinhedges

Just bought myself a new O/U but having tried it a couple of times at the clay ground I come away feeling like i've had a good slap around my right cheek. No particularly noticeable recoil in the shoulder. The gun is 20gauge but at nearly 7lb is no lightweight and the cartridges were largely 21gram magnasonics

Why is this and what can be done about it?

could be poor gun mount.

i had a similar sounding thing when using my 682, but didnt get it with a 391 i had at the same time.

turned out i wasnt mounting gun properly in my shoulder pocket and due to the rising sporter comb on the 682

i was getting knocked on the face as the gun recoiled backwards.

a bit of gunfit advice from a good coach had it sorted pretty much straight away.

Just bought myself a new O/U but having tried it a couple of times at the clay ground I come away feeling like i've had a good slap around my right cheek. No particularly noticeable recoil in the shoulder. The gun is 20gauge but at nearly 7lb is no lightweight and the cartridges were largely 21gram magnasonics

Why is this and what can be done about it?

The gun doesn't fit!

See a decent coach and have it fitted.

I've got a Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter that I once used in a pigeon hide to shoot over 100 pigeons. It's my clay gun and I've used it with no slap-cheek on clays but always shot it pre-mounted.

Obviously on the pigeons I wasn't pre-mounted and it didn't half rattle me in the face in the end.

My conclusion is that it doesn't fit me as well as I thought it did, which when pre-mounting didn't seem to matter so much. I was scoring pretty well, some days 80-odd % on sporting.

Are you shooting Sporting or DTL?

My Browning 325 Sporter was fine for shooting Sporting,but I couldn't shoot DTL with it as it slapped me in the cheek...hard.Nephews Beretta SP 5 does the same,even at Sporting.Gun fit issue I think.

Just Sporting and skeet etc. It's ultimately going to be a field gun but I want to get bedded in with it so I can hit stuff as well as I can with the Urika.

Well I went to Kibworth today and the owner, Rose, and the Coach very generously had a good look at my shooting stance along with trying a few clays to confirm.

It was found I was holding the gun too much onto my shoulder rather than in the shoulder pocket meaning I was tilting my head too much and catching the recoil.

Now things seem to be back on track and I'm starting to shoot well with the new gun :yahoo:

sometimes its helpful to try the Churchill mount method - hold the gun as usual but place the butt under your shooting shoulder. As you mount, push forward with the left hand(if right handed) and push the gun into the shoulder socket. It should mount on your cheek without moving your head significantly and, hopefully be correct for the shot as it touches the cheeck midway between your top and bottom tooth line. Might be worth a try.