Iphone or Samsung Galaxy?

Doc Holliday

Apologies as I know this has probably been done to death but in order to view new HD CCTV on the interweb I've decided to get with the 21st century and get either one of the iphone ranges (which ever is best) or Samsung galaxy of one sort or another. I know some are die hard apple fans (Billy) and will say iphone every step of the way but I would like to know the pro's and cons for both so I can make an informed decision.

Thank in advance.

Doc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iphone..................... NO contest

If you are an uber geek the Samsung can do some stuff the iphone can't easily (customise your home screen to look like a fish tank for example) everything else Iphone (iOS) device wins hands down except on price.............

One thing to note to view CCTV may be best to use an app, apps vary in performance and quality.

Edited by HDAV

Really depends on what you want to do with it. Go to a shop and play with both, or check out one a friend may have. I'm an iPhone/iPad man myself, but also have android devices. I will be receiving an android console gaming device in the next several weeks too. The galaxy 4 is supposed to be quite nice.

Got both in our house..

Wife swears her Galaxy is the best, I say my iphone 5 is..

Got to admit though, her Galaxy is a very nice phone. Larger & clearer, but is still have my iPhone over it.

The general view in gadget mags is that Samsung currently have the best phone by some distance, also the new Google Nexus is worth a look.

Got both in our house..

Wife swears her Galaxy is the best, I say my iphone 5 is..

Got to admit though, her Galaxy is a very nice phone. Larger & clearer, but is still have my iPhone over it.

The general view in gadget mags is that Samsung currently have the best phone by some distance, also the new Google Nexus is worth a look.

Was similar in my house for 6 months then she started to hate the Samsung to the point she wouldn't use it, wouldn't reply to texts or use it for email as it was to much faff and hassle gave her my 4S while i struggle on with my 3GS...... admitted last night she loves the 4S so much better than the galaxy.......

For ease of use straight from box iPhone,for being a lot better and getting a phone signal Samsung.

I was a committed iPhone user but it has a terrible habit of no signal or dropping calls,I went for a galaxy in December and I won't be going back, a breath of fresh air,just as easy as the iPhone makes calls with signal and I believe has the edge over an iPhone,I am typing this on an ipad.

I've got am iPhone and it's pretty rubbish, reception is poor compared to my old strawberry, same with the interweb connection and once u get a decent iTunes collection it's pretty hard to break away, I'll be shopping around for something different once my contract expires. I've just put the new win os on my comp at home and quite like it so wouldn't discount that either

Comments like that are the ones that I always wonder about how is a Samsung less tied in? Just tied to Google rather than apple?

You are correct in what you say,and when you have used both you can see why they are fighting each other in court as the similarities are striking,but in everyday use I have found the galaxy actually works as a phone as well as all the other things,unfortunately iPhone doesn't.

With android you can go outside of google but you run the risk of virus in apps,but at least you have the choice!

With android you can go outside of google but you run the risk of virus in apps,but at least you have the choice!

Erm you can do that with an iphone too...........(its called Jail breaking) I really don't get why people think being tied to google is better than being tied to apple?

Apple Genius support is truly amazing you can take your device to a real; place with a real person for free who will look at it if under warranty will swap it there and then for a new one! If out of warranty will cost a repair and book it in. Help you use it show you features etc, the OH went to the main samsung shop in london (olympic park) they have a similar concept after an hour her phone had been wiped and told it was fixed, was no better at all and they couldn't do anything else.

I have found signal to be fine on my 3GS (orange/T mobile) and OK on work 4S (O2) to be fair network coverage on EE is far better than O2 but i guess if you live on the fringe of a cell then a better antenna design by just a few dB will make a big difference.

Comments like that are the ones that I always wonder about how is a Samsung less tied in? Just tied to Google rather than apple?

Google is open source Apple is proprietary. Anyone is able to develop the OS and Apps for Android and are free to distribute their work in any way they see fit. Apple only allows you to use apps that it has strictly vetted (unless you want to invalidate your warrantee by jail breaking - don't let anyone convince you it does not !!!) many potentially useful apps never make it onto the Iphone simply because Apple see them as being competition for their own inferior apps - that benefits only Apple whilst the customer suffers.

If you really want to know just how untied Android / Samsung can be from Google then look up both the Chinese and Russian versions of "Googleless Android" - The Western world largely finds google integration to be a benefit rather than hinderence - but it does perhaps answer your question. Apple would rather go bust than allow an Appleless I phone.

Erm you can do that with an iphone too...........(its called Jail breaking) I really don't get why people think being tied to google is better than being tied to apple?

Apple Genius support is truly amazing you can take your device to a real; place with a real person for free who will look at it if under warranty will swap it there and then for a new one! If out of warranty will cost a repair and book it in. Help you use it show you features etc, the OH went to the main samsung shop in london (olympic park) they have a similar concept after an hour her phone had been wiped and told it was fixed, was no better at all and they couldn't do anything else.

I have found signal to be fine on my 3GS (orange/T mobile) and OK on work 4S (O2) to be fair network coverage on EE is far better than O2 but i guess if you live on the fringe of a cell then a better antenna design by just a few dB will make a big difference.

The point about being free to go outside of google was that you do not have to jailbreak you can just do it,you are not imposed with restrictions with samsung.

I have never had to have a phone replaced so can't comment on the service,but the signal or lack of is a real downside for an iphone,i have had 3g 4 and 4s all had signal problems, i travel the full length of the m4 corridor every week popping down to Bournemouth and up to Cheltenham and the signal is not good on an iphone, i had lots of sim card replacements from o2 to try and resolve the problems but nothing worked, the samsung gets a signal in places i honestly thought were not possible as iphone didn't even register.Half a dozen people at work went for the iphone5,4 have been replaced once for bad signal and one has been sent back and she now has a galaxy,her problem was she was on orange,has always got a signal in her house in croydon,but the iphone5 could not get a signal at all.

Google is open source Apple is proprietary. Anyone is able to develop the OS and Apps for Android and are free to distribute their work in any way they see fit. Apple only allows you to use apps that it has strictly vetted (unless you want to invalidate your warrantee by jail breaking - don't let anyone convince you it does not !!!) many potentially useful apps never make it onto the Iphone simply because Apple see them as being competition for their own inferior apps - that benefits only Apple whilst the customer suffers.

If you really want to know just how untied Android / Samsung can be from Google then look up both the Chinese and Russian versions of "Googleless Android" - The Western world largely finds google integration to be a benefit rather than hinderence - but it does perhaps answer your question. Apple would rather go bust than allow an Appleless I phone.

Hmm Apple uses the iOS eco system and the fact it is vetted is a massive benefit for 95% of users as for apps not making it to the iphone well apples T&C's are pretty clear if LONG. If you so wished you could write your own OS for an apple device (iOS) Apple dont publish the instruction sets but it's their instruction set....

PLease tell me one useful app not available on iOS that is on Android and the "inferior" apple offering. Apples argument is different an iphone is nothing without the integration between hardware and software. There are lots of hardware vendors and software vendors apple is different as it does both. I am no apple fanboy but as a complete package it is very very good, well supported and well made.

In my experience most people who deride the apple format are those who want to steal apps and content........

iphone if you want solid reliability with the software out of the box, android if you want to have loads of fun playing with customizing the phone. i had iphones for years moved to android its a lot more interesting think unless apple do something amazing in the next few years i will be staying with android for now. im not knocking iphones they are great bits of kit but i just got bored of it. i will say this the apple sound and video recording is un beatable

Edited by overandunder2012

The ONLY thing making me waver in favour of the Galaxy is the fact that Knights Armaments Bullet Flight is now available for Android and it integrates via Bluetooth with my Kestrel NV4500 meaning I could set my Kestrel up on it's tripod when shooting long range and the atmospheric data including wind speed and direction would automatically be fed to the ballistics calc whilst I was on the firing point!

Because of Apples ridiculous restrictions on 3rd party app access to the iPhone's Bluetooth stack, doing that on my iPhone is impossible.. all data has to be entered manually which would be nigh on impossible on the line!

As for everything else... overandunder has it... although the 'loads of fun' customising it is perhaps a little overstated.. you can make your home screen look pretty and add gadgets etc.. I think that makes up probably .0001% of the appeal of a smartphone after the first hour when the novelty wears off!

Edited by Vipa