Cost of a leg of lamb

HDAV

Ta I'll aldi if not it'll be tesco..... Shame but I can't get to butchers tomorrow

if buying it from a supermarket just be sure its not shergah,s leg :lol::lol: :lol:

as i work as a butcher in a farm shop i would say support your local small business even if it cost £20 for a leg of lamb lol

at least we know where ours come from

colin

+ 1,000000000000000000

as i work as a butcher in a farm shop i would say support your local small business even if it cost £20 for a leg of lamb lol

at least we know where ours come from

colin

If I could get to the local butcher I would but that's unlikely, I will try but they won't be open Monday morning I'll see if I can get to one tomorrow.

My wife has just come back from buying 5.5lb of leg of lamb at a butchers and it cost her £30. My comment was not repeatable.

Almost ashamed to say it but that is why we got ours from Sainsburys at 1/3 of that price!

And while I'm here can someone tell me why lamb IS so expensive? As far as I know lamb production should be the least affected by cereal prices and to my mind should be the cheapest meat on the market(apart from horse that is!)

GH

My wife has just come back from buying 5.5lb of leg of lamb at a butchers and it cost her £30. My comment was not repeatable.

I'll top that...... Went to a local proper butcher, 3 shops own abotoir lamb is from 5 miles away from the shop in Taunton ! £12.57 a kg..... Needed a big leg as 8-10 for lunch on Monday £45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's is over 7 lbs the missus went nuts! I just told the guy who is bringing the wine he better not scrimp on that now!

Almost ashamed to say it but that is why we got ours from Sainsburys at 1/3 of that price!

And while I'm here can someone tell me why lamb IS so expensive? As far as I know lamb production should be the least affected by cereal prices and to my mind should be the cheapest meat on the market(apart from horse that is!)

GH

My friend, if you ever find out can you let me know lol.

Alas lamb trade as with cereals and beef is greatly affected by the world market and currency fluctuations.

Early in the year prices at market for fat lambs were poor due to over supply (everyone was finishing around the same time due to lack of feed / wet autumn and summer), poor exports due to the crisis in the euro etc.

Lamb has crept back up the last couple of weeks due to the fall in sterling.

However the average fat lamb gets sold at the moment for anything between 60-80 ish quid a head live weight at the moment (when I say average I mean fairly decent stock).

As with everything in life the big profits lie with the middle men, we are sheep farmers and eat lots of lamb but even I wince now and again at the butchers lol.

Hope that sheds a little light?

Ps: forgot to say prices are very regional and also depend on the type of breed etc