looking for help with the (police)

richy new shooter

If the OP is in the BASC, he now knows what to do. The odds are though that he isn't and in which case I'd be inclined to e-mail the new Police Commissioner with a brief explanation as per his post asking do I sue you or the Chief Constable. Now the singing and dancing is all over he's probably looking for something to do.

ha yeah that'd do it

I think you might be in for a bit of a long haul,if the firearms department do what they are supposed to do,and complete a thorough investigation then that can take months and even though you have done no wrong they will plod along at their own pace.

It took me 4 months to get my weapons back after two police officers made an accusation that i was aggressive and violent toward them.The sad thing was i had videoed the whole thing showing me to be nothing of the sort,this was given to my FEO who was doing the investigation, i also did over 6 hours of interviews with him with everything written down and some misleading questions thrown in.I eventually got them all back and a letter stating that the accusations against me were totally unfounded.

The wheels of an investigation seem to roll very slowly when you are on the receiving end.

Some of the best advice given on here is contact BASC if you are a member,they have advice,solicitors they can put you in touch with and probably have a working relationship with your firearms department so can find out what might be happening.

Good luck,stay calm,if you give interviews, take a rep with you or tape them.

Sue the fools for wrongfull arrest and theft of your goods+charge them rental on everything they are holding that legally belongs to you.

Based on what the op has said the arrest was lawful and the seizure of other items that may have been stolen justified. As for the guns if he is suspected of being a thief or burglar then they were right in my opinion to seize them.

Your comments seem very childish.

If the op goes to the meeting and the situation is exactly as he has described then he will get his guns back.

Harry

I fail to see the issue here. The police did their job as they were supposed to and the fact that they were given the wrong info is no fault of theirs. They have now given back all the stuff they can and the firearms thing is going to be caused by them working to the rules that they are given - they probably don't see the point either but it is what it is and they have to work by the book. It's unfortunate that you're being put out by this, but you've got to just put it down to bad luck.

Go to the interview and if all is how you say it is that should be the end of it. If you've lost earnings by the loss of your tools then I'd be tempted to seek legal advice regarding compensation as that shouldn't be something you have to absorb.

Based on what the op has said the arrest was lawful and the seizure of other items that may have been stolen justified. As for the guns if he is suspected of being a thief or burglar then they were right in my opinion to seize them.

If the op goes to the meeting and the situation is exactly as he has described then he will get his guns back.

Harry

Funny i was going to put near the exact same thing.... but just couldn't be bothered to get into the circular argument of they have over reacted and poor old me i deserve better..... just for another post to come along and say the Police cant be bothered to help or act on any information... poor old me i deserve better

As you said it was fully lawful considering the (small amount) of facts we are provided with. The serial number is evidence enough in itself (and as it appears it was a one in a million chance the one in the shed mated the number of a stolen one) but as all seems in order now there should be no long and protracted 'case' as there is nothing ongoing to investigate (according to the OP)

I fail to see the issue here. The police did their job as they were supposed to and the fact that they were given the wrong info is no fault of theirs. They have now given back all the stuff they can and the firearms thing is going to be caused by them working to the rules that they are given - they probably don't see the point either but it is what it is and they have to work by the book. It's unfortunate that you're being put out by this, but you've got to just put it down to bad luck.

Go to the interview and if all is how you say it is that should be the end of it. If you've lost earnings by the loss of your tools then I'd be tempted to seek legal advice regarding compensation as that shouldn't be something you have to absorb.

Eminently sensible!

Mind you, with no further action and no case to answer, I would have thought that as the police removed all the kit, then the onus was on them to return it. It's lucky the OP didn't get arrested again for the same offence while lugging the whole lot home.

Harry

The thing that gets me, on your post Harry is as you say the arrests mey have been justified, OK fine i can understand.

PC's move into the house forcefully remove umpteen items including shot guns and fire arms, OK i can see why.

But what i fail to understand is. The PC's or whoever was responsible after the event had made the decision that it was a mistake. The chap was NOT guilty.

So why can they not return his (HIS) belongings there and then as soon as he was found NOT guilty.

Edited by Dougy

But what i fail to understand is. The PC's or whoever was responsible after the event had made the decision that it was a mistake. The chap was NOT guilty.

So why can they not return his (HIS) belongings there and then as soon as he was found NOT guilty.

Because there are protocols to follow and the police will follow them to the letter to avoid any other mistakes,the firearms dept will do their own investigation and this will take time.My evidence was on a high definition video with sound and it still took 4 months to return my weapons.

Because there are protocols to follow and the police will follow them to the letter to avoid any other mistakes,the firearms dept will do their own investigation and this will take time.My evidence was on a high definition video with sound and it still took 4 months to return my weapons.

Exactly. What you need to see is that the police have a routine that they follow. They most likely think it's a load of BS the same as we do but it's the same as any other rule in the work place. If your boss tells you to wear a hard hat when working near the forklift you do - the fact that the forklift is lifting a ton of steel and a hard hat isn't going to do a thing to help you if it does drop it's load on your head doesn't come into it. That's just how the modern workplace is run and often common sense has very little to do with it!

Why? What protocols?

The guy's arrest - as we are informed - had nothing to do with his guns (I could see that some inquiries may be necessary if someone describes theirs as weapons) and as no further action was to be taken, they should have been returned forthwith.

Edit; Question asked deleted.

Edited by wymberley

Why? What protocols?

The guy's arrest - as we are informed - had nothing to do with his guns (I could see that some inquiries may be necessary if someone describes theirs as weapons) and as no further action was to be taken, they should have been returned forthwith.

I wasn't arrested,i just had an email sent from one police force to another stating that i was violent aggressive and out of control,my weapons were removed immediately,the Sgt that took them saw part of the video and agreed i had done nothing wrong,the professional standards officers from the force that i contacted and who came to my house within 24 hrs on a sunday they saw all the video and were shocked my weapons had been removed and agreed i had done no wrong,my FEO who took all my statements saw the video and agreed i had done no wrong,he even arranged for me to go to the police station after two months so i could clean and oil my weapons as i had raised a concern they may be stored in the wrong conditions,hardly the actions of a police force that believe you are violent aggressive and out of control.

But it still took 4 months for the process to grind on.Funnily enough the complaint against the police officers took just under 4 months,and that was two officers being investigated.

So every one saw within 48 hours that i was innocent by the video evidence presented to them,but they still followed all the rules.