'like'

Blunderbuss

One that really annoys me is when people refer to any man as "lad" when they are talking to them or replying to them on forums. Being called lad by someone young enough to be your son winds me up and can be quite insulting even if they don't mean it that way.

"Should of'", or "Could of'"- rather than "Should have" or "Could have" :angry: . Lazy speech and makes people appear more stupid than they are. Then they wonder why they cannot get jobs that require good communication skills. (Stands by with poo-resistant umbrella! :lol: )

"Should of'", or "Could of'"- rather than "Should have" or "Could have" :angry: . Lazy speech and makes people appear even more stupid than they are. Then they wonder why they cannot get jobs that require good communication skills. (Stands by with poo-resistant umbrella! :lol: )

Isn't that more of a PW phenomenon?

A lot of people at college talk like that and I sometimes find myself doing it accidentally just because everyone else does it and it becomes almost like a reflex. It's really annoying. Thankfully I usually manage to stop myself.

Something else that is annoying is your squirrel campaign. like. lol. Edited by unapalomablanca

Oh, i'm in a mood today, this thread is drawing me close to saying something that is very offensive yet rather amusingly, isn't understood by the particular people it mocks, it's irony is lost on them.

I need to finish my cup of tea and get back to work before i drop myself further in.

Ah go on now. You will, you will you will.....

post-16439-0-61262700-1366656882_thumb.jpeg

What about posh people? Oh Mrs balfour let's go for some rumpy pumpy in the gardens, oh charls, please talk like a Anglophone, your acripluvian language really does displease me. Oh don't make me cachinate Mrs balfour, I'm being abruptly serious it's given me a enciphalalgia. oh im so Languecent now you might as well forget it.

As far as I can see nobody has mentioned "amazing" yet. It has become one of the most over-used, misused words of the decade.

And then there's "devastated" and "decimated". Have a look at the dictionary definitions. And "defiantly" when the writer means "definitely".

And don't get me started about people who try to use words that they don't understand and can't spell, anyway.

And there's "were" for "where", and vice versa.

English is a wonderful language and affords endless opportunities to be expressive, yet every day I hear it being tortured and mangled by people who are too lazy to take the trouble to think about what they are trying to say.

Grump, grump.

No one has actually mentioned "actually" actually

Listening in on a phone call at work between another manager and a client made me cringe.

e.g. We don't actually have that item yet but we may actually be getting them in a couple of days actually. This went on for over half an hour, what the customer thought is anyones guess.

Had to pull her (me big chief her small chief), she could not accept that she'd said anything wrong.

Something which annoys my dad is saying words like "butter" and "matter" without the "hard t" sound (don't know what it's called).

inorite?

It's called a glottal stop and I can't stand it either!

I was staying in a hotel at the weekend and asked for some bacon for breakfast. The young lady serving said, "No problem." I replied that I wasn't interested in whether it was a problem or not, I was a paying guest and wanted bacon for my breakfast. SWMBO and daughter were not impressed.

It's called a glottal stop and I can't stand it either!

I was staying in a hotel at the weekend and asked for some bacon for breakfast. The young lady serving said, "No problem." I replied that I wasn't interested in whether it was a problem or not, I was a paying guest and wanted bacon for my breakfast. SWMBO and daughter were not impressed.

Did she gob on your bacon though? ;)