How do you become a gunsmith???

squirrelhunter

Difficult to get into unless a member of your family is one, or at least heavily involved in the trade with good contacts.

To be a true gunsmith, you need to get into an apprenticeship.

There are plenty of "gunsmiths" who are good at basic repairs / woodwork etc, but couldn't make a gun from scratch, or at least don't have the equipment to do so.

There are also a few dubious "gunsmiths" who I wouldn't trust with a spud gun.

There's a book out called "home gunsmithing" or something similar which is supposed to be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

being honest unless your young and can afford to work for peanuts then you have to teach yourself in the uk … if you are young and don't mind working for next to nothing then find a decent gunsmith and ask if they would be willing to take on an apprentice … would be worth it in the end (5 years or so is nothing to wait until can work for yourself) .. could also contact the big london gunmakers direct but i have no idea on their recruitment process …. must be worth a phone call though right ??

so are there any legal requirements to be able to make your own shot gun?

None at all - other than being able to be lawfully in possession of it. You should enter it onto your SGC as soon as it actually becomes a firearm, ie: as soon as it's capeable of discharging a projectile or could be made to do so very easily.

J.

Yes - everything must pass proof before it can legally be used or sold.

Only needs to pass proof if you intend to sell or export it. You can use an unprooved gun quite lawfully.

J.

Before starting to make a gun you must apply to become a registered firearm dealer. Otherwise you commit an offence.

Nope. As long as you are lawfully entitled to possess the gun you can make it your self. You only need to be an RFD if you dispose of firearms and ammunition by way of trade.

J.

Well at least someone uses the search facility, to become a gunmaker it's a 5 year apprenticeship IIRC some of London makers still take apprentices but I think you probably need and engineering background these days most guns are CNC machined the posh ones still hand finished

Even though this is an old thread - another option that has not been mentioned is the HM forces route - RAF Armourer as an example - learn the basics of the trade and leave with the skills to go forward and work for oneself.

Mike

A route taken into the trade by many of the Older generation of gunsmiths, of limited similarities in tasks these days in relation to the civilian gun trade unfortunatly with the changes in both equipment and procurement. A worthwhile career choice none the less

Even though this is an old thread - another option that has not been mentioned is the HM forces route - RAF Armourer as an example - learn the basics of the trade and leave with the skills to go forward and work for oneself.

Mike

As an early 60s 'Brat', I would have agreed (yep, I know you'd have got a 'smith's apprenticeship then; I'm talking about skill levels in the RAF) but no longer. Many of the skills that I learnt I never used and they haven't been taught for decades. I was a rigger, but it will be the same for the plumbers (armourers). Besides, the chances of actually getting a job in the small arms bay after training is miniscule.