Where to find a cocker

JustJon

im looking at the moment for a cocker..im keeping in contact with game keepers from my local shoots, and a few local shooters,

had a look at a few pups but need to wait for 2 months yet before i buy one...keep looking in the back of the shooting mags and keep a eye out on the seles section on here as they pop up from time to time, but ask to see both parents if possable and have a good look at the surroundings of where you buy the pup from...and just use your common sence..and if the price is too cheep there must be a reason.

good luck..

Hi Fenboy Mines about 14 weeks now they had another litter due after mine they came from Carlisle if not to far for you let me know and I will pm details

Hi Muffin,

Would appreciate any info you have?

Thanks,

Jon

Do your research and ask the right questions, by talking to the owner you will get an idea why they have bred. Then find the names of the bitch and dog and have a look on the kennel club website, you can then see how inbred the litter is and whether any tests etc are recommended and if they have been done.

Do your research and ask the right questions, by talking to the owner you will get an idea why they have bred. Then find the names of the bitch and dog and have a look on the kennel club website, you can then see how inbred the litter is and whether any tests etc are recommended and if they have been done.

Thanks Alex.

Odd question - how interbred is too interbred?

Few if any of the trialers are remotely interested in health testing cockers.

Most of the decent stuff has inbreed coefficient of 15 - 20%

Try getting in touch with http://www.gundogsrus.co.uk/index.html you will not find anybody more genuine than Darren & if you tell him your expectations he'll sort you something out.

Edited by PERCE

Few if any of the trialers are remotely interested in health testing cockers.

Most of the decent stuff has inbreed coefficient of 15 - 20%

thats quite interesting as it seems they do have hip issues and PRA and the likes and no doubt other issues inbreeding that badly.

Thanks Alex.

Odd question - how interbred is too interbred?

its hard to really say as I don't really know anything about cockers, but I have just been through it looking for a stud for my GWP and they do have a few well known issues relating to being inbred due to there not being that many dogs to use in the country, still though they have an average currently of 4% as people are making the effort to try and not inbreed them. Obviously you have the opinion of a cocker owner above which is fair enough and show that they are just breeding for trialling not for overall healhy dogs. The below is the details from the Kenel clubs health site

An inbreeding coefficient of 12.5% means that there is a 1 in 8 chance that a dog will inherit the same version of gene from the same dog that appears in both the sire’s and dam’s pedigree. The puppies born to a mother/son, father/daughter or brother/sister mating (which the Kennel Club will no longer accept for registration), would be at least 25%. The inbreeding coefficient of puppies born from a grandfather/granddaughter mating would be at least 12.5%.

I don't know if this link will work but there is a guy on here with some at the moment, .

http://www.gundogtrainingforum.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16646

I enquired as I'm interested in a cocker sometime soon.

He is based in North Lincolnshire. The Bitches are priced at £500 and the dogs are £450.

The dam has twenty three ftch's and the dog has 47 ftch's. Included in the bitch lines are Ftch Timsgarry
Simpson, ftch Mallowdale rackatear, Ftch Maesydderwen Scimitar, FtchTimsgarry Kelly. Included in the dogs line are, Kiltonbeck Warlord (whaupley Gundogs), Ftch Kiltonbeck Pixy, Ftch Larford Cateran, ftch Parkbreck Jake.

Going off the pedigree they look like they'd make good working cockers.

ATB,

Lee