I need a quiet shotgun

steveyg

Struggling to find a perm however my father has been given access to a small dairy farm with his air rifle.

Plenty of bunnies, pigeons and crows about (he seen a couple of foxes as well..) Are the moderated/silenced shotguns any good for pigeons/crows?

There are stables close by so my Beretta Auto is a no..no :no:

any suggestions/feedback would be gratefully received

I just clay bashed with my mates, didnt think it was that loud tbh, but yes my air rifle is rubbish

He uses his for rabbits near a built up area on his farm and it does the job fine. Not sure on distance.

Yep just like the .410, single, OU or pump poss a few semi's, question have you tried subsonic carts in your semi? you may be able to get a mod fitted to a spare barrel for the current semi...

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Mossberg_Shotgun-Silenced_For-Sale_130511145643707

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Hushpower_Shotgun-Silenced_Single-Shot_For-Sale_130318170534001

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Laporte-Pro-2-gun-for-sale-gs124048.aspx

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hushpower_20_bore_mossberg/ well worth a read....

Edited by HDAV

you never know bub carts might work well.........

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/cartridge/12-gauge/game/hush-power

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/444790/Cartridges_for_vermin_review.html

Saddlery now do a removable 10" Mod for 12 gauges which would be an option on existing gun or spare barrel. Coupled with sub loads might be enough.

Edited by HDAV

the people that say they as quiet as an air rifle have some right rubbish airguns as they are far noisier even worse near woods

shooting the mossberg with subsonics, yes it sounds noisy, but get someone else to shoot it, whilst you stand 10ft away, sounds like an air gun,

I'll get some footage of mine on thursday

tbh if it were me using a modded 410 i would keep my range down to about 20yds or less!

they are capable of 30-35yds, its all down to the shooter, remember, a bad workman always blames the tools

shooting the mossberg with subsonics, yes it sounds noisy, but get someone else to shoot it, whilst you stand 10ft away, sounds like an air gun,

they are capable of 30-35yds, its all down to the shooter, remember, a bad workman always blames the tools

im just stating as a personal preferance as i dont own one or shoot one i cant rely comment on that but from what i hear they dont shoot well at range!

(never the gun ,always the shooter)

im just stating as a personal preferance as i dont own one or shoot one i cant rely comment on that but from what i hear they dont kill well at range!

(never the gun ,always the shooter)

20 bore hushpower good for 50 yards, my keeper used mine to good effect however im good to 40 yards lolol.... like others have said, stick 5s 32's in and as good as the shooter, also it makes more of a crack while holding but in the open at 50 yards its alot quiter than a 12 bore..... i dont use subs as cant really tell the difference but thats just my choice and advice of my keepers on cost etc etc .....i was told that mine with the hushy mod is like having a full choke hence the 50 yard+ range.... also it was patterned so no excuse if i miss its me and not the gun ... good luck on whatever you choose :)

I've got the Hushpower 20g O/U and with subsonic carts I don't bother with ear plugs. I shoot next to a horse paddock sometimes and the horses don't mind as they are used to the noise of the bangers that the farmer puts out which are much louder than the gun. I have shot it with mates in the next field who don't notice the bang that much as well.

I do the Rabbit control at two equestrian centers,and a golf course where noise, and overshoot is a problem .

I lamp with a Baikal Stealth 410. Fully moderated shotgun. very successfully.

Using 2 1/2 inch Eley's is far quieter than the 3" Subsonics, and still knocks them over at 30yds. (air gun level

noise) watch the video's on youtube.

I use a Tesco "cree" torch (£10.) with a bit of red filter gel on the lens, with the cheap velcro

rubber mounts off Ebay,

On these lighter evenings, when rabbits can see you coming a mile away , its just the job for

taking them "on the run". :good:

Guest cookoff013

get a 12gauge, reload subsonics.

ring roughshooter on here for a reloading package for some subsonics. i`m sure he`ll chuck everything together to get you started ASAP.

i prefer 12gauge, because its what i reload for.

I use an air rifle, using a .177, with ideal conditions you can kill rabbits over 40 metres away, easily! That is using a PCP air rifle,with silencer. I shot at 3 equestrian places and have no problems with horses getting scared, in fact they are more interested in what the mobile hedge is doing and trying to eat my camo!

As for getting a quiet shot gun, what is the problem, have you got a mole?

Edited by secretagentmole

Thanks for the input..really appreciated... :good:

No moles :)

My Father uses a .22 air rifle and has had a few rabbits, the shotgun is to keep the pigeons/crows off the feed, they are in out so quickly its difficult to get a shot with the air rifle.

With the horses in close proximity, I have to be very careful with the noise levels

My father would disown me if I lost his perm :no:

cheers