bit baffled

fruitloop

just had a call from my son in lay and he has a citron relay 2.2d van and he has found engine oil in the header coolant tank.

I have a idea what it might be but have any one of you guys ever had experience of this happening with this type of van as im hoping it is a quick fix ...fingers crossed

Check or replace the oil cooler first, before ripping the engine to bits,

this is the kind of things im thinking

erm, in my limited experience oil in the coolant system might be headgasket leak, i had a saab with a similar problem, heard some stories involving core plugs in the past whatever the hell they are :lol:

the thing is it still runs as smooth as a nut and no smoke hence I was in two minds about the head gasket

my saab was fine too, just lost a bit of water and what was left in the header was greasy, the oil filler cap was a tad snotty, emulsified oil in the crank. when i took the head off 2 of the ports for the water jacket had eroded past the lip of the cylinder bore.

heard some stories involving core plugs in the past whatever the hell they are :lol:

Core plugs are thin metal discs which are inserted into holes in the engine block.If you've forgotten to add antifreeze during a really cold winter the core plugs will pop out and stop the engine block from literally cracking in half. They're not hard to replace-all you need is a hammer and gently tap them in,but its easier when the engine has been removed.

However,the core plugs have nothing to do with the internal workings of an engine and my money would be on head gasket failure with oil being in the header tank.