4x4 for £4k

southeastpete

Hi all,

I know these threads pop up on a semi regular basis, butt the great PW massive is the best place for me to turn for advice here.

I am looking for an automatic 4x4. I have a large dog and the wonderful hobby of shooting. I also have an 8yr old stepson and a baby on the way. So I want something comfortable that can do long journeys for holidays but also traipse round field headlands and tow a horsebox if needs be.

My favourite so far is the Subaru legacy outback H6. For just over half my budget I can get one with 85,000 miles on it, in really good nick. Does anyone have experience with this car, or later versions of the outback, different engine sizes etc?

Many thanks for any help.

Pete

Mitsubishi shogun sport?

Are they reliable and what sort of mpg could you expect?

I currently have a Maverick I want to renew and have been considering what to renew it with, haven't ruled out the same again.

Might go berserk and go upto £3k

True a Defender is lovely, but as the OP was after an auto, that's why I said a Disco. A thinking mans Defender that is a lot cheaper. I still love my old P plate 300tdi Disco.

To all the mockers of Discovery's, or Land Rover products in general, how many old (as in mid to late 1990's) Jap stuff do you see driving around?? Not a lot!?

True a Defender is lovely, but as the OP was after an auto, that's why I said a Disco. A thinking mans Defender that is a lot cheaper. I still love my old P plate 300tdi Disco.

To all the mockers of Discovery's, or Land Rover products in general, how many old (as in mid to late 1990's) Jap stuff do you see driving around?? Not a lot!?

Loads. More than the Discos of the same era.

They can just be a pain in the **** with the fact that they need constant fettling. Still a great wagon though.

Well I went for it, I got an 04 forester 2.0xt with only 55,000 miles and a full dealer service history. Looks immaculate. (Not for long...)

I plan to de cat the up pipe and cat back and pop a new air filter in and remap it like that, get a 1 inch lift kit and all terrain tyres and a tow bar. And of course some decent seat covers. I will also need to devise some sort of tough water(blood)proof boot liner that also goes up the sides enough to fit a large German shepherd in without getting the boot ruined....

Would probably want to fit some metal bull bars at some point, am I able to do that these days?

Thanks for all the ideas, (especially animal mother)

Pete

Edited by southeastpete