What is the most interesting thing you found in the attic ?

Pole Star

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many years ago, I went in a loft in wakefield in a mid terrace, it took 3 blokes to push up the loft hatch, the foreigners down the street had "claimed" all ten lofts and were sleeping in the roofspace,

turned out they worked at the local mill, did a twelve hour shift each and hot bedded, as well as hot boots etc, bloke thought there was about half a dozen living there turned out to be 15 or 16 of em,

Found a box full of someones family photos and other items of prob sentimental value. The chap was African and had old photos of his family abroad I presume and pics of him at graduation. Thought I could track him down to return them but it turned out in the past he had got into trouble with debt and done a runner so I had no chance of tracking him down. I put them back in the loft and have now moved house again. Shame because although he had problems he'd left a lot of stuff that may have been precious to him.

Bit of a softy me, lol!!

A mannequins head facing the loft hatch. I damn near sh@ my kidney out when I first lifted the hatch and a face was staring at me. Think my wife wondered what was going on when I fell off the step ladder swearing and reeling backwards.

It ended up being used in numerous cupboards, wardrobes and the garage to great comedy effect for scaring the wife and kids.

A mannequins head facing the loft hatch. I damn near sh@ my kidney out when I first lifted the hatch and a face was staring at me. Think my wife wondered what was going on when I fell off the step ladder swearing and reeling backwards.

It ended up being used in numerous cupboards, wardrobes and the garage to great comedy effect for scaring the wife and kids.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Great to hear you did not have a heart attack mate !

Only ever had something nicked, never found anything. I had a valuable piece of spurs memorabilia stolen by a maintenance man who was sorting out the lagging in my first house, I know who had it but cant prove it. Angers me like hell when i think about it.

spurs and valuable lol how do you fit white hart lane in your loft ;)

Cleared the loft when my uncle passed on.

There was a muzzle loading single 10g hidden right in the furthest corner.

Cleaned it up and now use it occasionally - which is nice as it always reminds me of the old boy.

Now that's the kind of thing we all want to hear who was the maker ? & tell us a bit about it ?.

I went in a loft at work, the bloke was a bit funny about it, the whole loft was set up as a sex dungeon, rack large X made of timber and loads of chans.

dunno how I kept a straight face.

Just be thankful you were not kidnapped , some bloody strange people out there ! :lol::lol::lol:

ps just think if he closed the hatch on you ? scary !

Edited by Pole Star

Looks like you found a priests hiding hole from the days when Henry was busy . do English heritage know its there ?.

It wasnt that old, the old packets were of cleaning products and food tins from around the turn of the century. I should imagine it was some form of domestic quarters. I put some of my stuff in there on the QT and am hoping that as 12 years have elapsed I can lay claim to it. It won't make me very popular with the other residents but hey, thats business!

:lol::lol::lol: Are they still in there ???? .

as far as i know they are....if i see them coming from under the tiles outside during the summer ..then they are still there.....havnt the heart to wipe them out (unless they sting me)...i will probely then mastic the hatch shut..

Found an old belgian single shot bolt action 12 bore, where it came from I dont know and it was past the point of no return.

However, I also found a stash of the old polaroid photos and all I can say is there were some rum goings on in that house - with a number of rather interesting ladies who seemed to be enjoying themselves - rather hot in the loft.

I know a number of Thatchers in Ireland who have found long forgotten small pocket revolvers poked into the thatch of cottages it seems to have been a favourite hiding place for them but they only come to light to light when the house gets a complete new thatch ,

Could be similar things hidden in thatched houses anywhere in Britain ? .

ps they were usually poked up from the inside of the attic . ( now rusty relics )

Edited by Pole Star

I know a number of Thatchers in Ireland who have found long forgotten small pocket revolvers poked into the thatch of cottages it seems to have been a favourite hiding place for them but they only come to light to light when the house gets a complete new thatch ,

Could be similar things hidden in thatched houses anywhere in Britain ? .

ps they were usually poked up from the inside of the attic . ( now rusty relics )

I think a lot of people put there old hand guns up in the loft and forgot about them when the laws changed.