Australia

Mitchsan51

I lived in Australia for some years but not the Norther Territories mostly NSW & VICTORIA & I met some great shooting mates & if the Auzzies call you a Pomie ******* don't take it to heart as that's not really how they mean it :lol: . I hope you have a great time mate & I hope you like your beer properly chilled including the glass ! .

Let us all know how you get on .

Pole Star

ps don't mention the Empire ! its gone & don't call em a load of cons & colonials as that will pee them off ! its ok if they say it but not you .

Edited by Pole Star

Spent a few weeks in Darwin 13 years ago during a trip round Australia. I loved the place. Small, fairly sleepy city in the middle of nowhere. Its Australia's gateway to Asia and it does have a distinctly Asian feel and there is very good authentic Asian food to be had. You're going at the perfect time of year. June/July/August is the dry season. Expect daytime temperatures in mid to upper 30s, with never a cloud in the sky and mid 20s at night.

Don't forget sunnies, swimmies, and a tub of factor 50.

Don't swim in the sea. There is every possible nasty Australia has to offer from Salt water crocs to box jellys and sharks.

Don't even dip your toe in any water anywhere in Kakadu National park. Very beautiful but seething with crocs and snakes.

Do visit Mindl beach market. (If its still going). Its a weekly food fair with stalls representing just about every cuisine imaginable. Its cheap and you get to eat fantasic exotic food at take-away prices on the beach and watch the sunset to the sound of didjeridoos.

Do go to see an Aboriginal band if you can. They seem to be pretty musical up in NT and the gigs are a gas.

Do visit Litchfield National park south of Darwin. Its a beautiful landscape of rocky cliffs, grassland and watering holes. There are many pools which unlike Kakadu are safe to swim in.

If you're there for long enough, take a trip to Bali. Its only a 4 hour flight away and a weeks holiday can be had very cheaply through Darwin travel agents. Aussies go to Bali like we go to Spain. You'll never get a chance to do it more cheaply.

Most of all, have a ball.

Edited by Gimlet

Only been up the east coast, Sydney, brisbaine, cairns, port Douglas.

Only bit of advice I can give you, what ever you thought you were going to spend, double it.

I think he going out there for work, for a number of years

although I may be wrong

:shaun:

Been to Australia a couple of times, I was in Darwin for a month in 2001, Fantastic place, if you are there on holiday. Gimlet has pretty much covered it. Plenty to see and do, from Fannie Bay Gaol to Mindil Beach market, If the Tour Tub (it's a mini bus) is still going it's worth it, you pay once and can get on and off as many times as you like. When I was there you could swim in certain water holes in Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks, but it's best not to now without local advice. I swam up to Twin falls, it was the only way to reach the pool at the base of the falls, but it's now too dangerous due to crocs, I think there's a boat that takes you up now. Best to buy a good guide like Lonely Planet. you should have a great time.