why am I shooting to the left

Bizzie

I am new to this shooting lark and and seemed to be doing quite well at first shooting clays, I have had a lesson with Alan at Pinewood who told me I just need to get some practice in now then get another lesson in a few months.

I was at Pine wood the other day and decided to try out the patterning plate he has set up and it seems that I am shooting slightly to the left most of the time but bang on hight wise, so what would cause me to the left.

I am new to this shooting lark and and seemed to be doing quite well at first shooting clays, I have had a lesson with Alan at Pinewood who told me I just need to get some practice in now then get another lesson in a few months.

I was at Pine wood the other day and decided to try out the patterning plate he has set up and it seems that I am shooting slightly to the left most of the time but bang on hight wise, so what would cause me to the left.

Very common problem and I'd put money on you needing a bit of cast put into the stock, easily done.

How far left?

If its only a little go to moving targets (we're not really interested in shoot sitters)

A going away bird and a straight high tower driven will tell you if you shooting left or not. A coach that understands gun fit will take you through this. You'll be surprised how many time a little left or right on a plate is spot on when the targets moving.

If its a long way left I would look to eye dominance the left eye may be taking over so a squint to the left eye may help if not you'll need to look at more cast to bring the rib into line with your eyes.

It's only a little to the left, I am left eye dominant and have been closing my left eye and have fitted a fibre optic sight which seems to help.

I'm not sure if the gun is the problem or me I have recently bought this gun a Franchi Harrier but I have tried my friends Lamber which I first used and I got on well with and still not shooting as well as the first first few goes perhaps it was beginners luck

were you leaning the gun slighty to one side? that will make the load shoot to the side. especially at distance.

I'm not sure I don't think so as Alan was watching me the other day and telling me to put more lead on so I think he would have said if my gun mount or stance was wrong somehow he's a great guy and always seems to want to help, he said I need to go there every day and shoot at least 100 cartridges and although it was said tongue in cheek maybe it's true to some extent perhaps its just a more practice I need.

Not a bad ground but not much their for beginners. Try shooting dtl, don't move a peg until you hit one. By the time your done you will know if ur shooting left or not by the difference in what your giving it at either end. I don't think any shotgun will match anyone 100% I think most people just get "used" to the gun and alter subconsciously. Also your mount may change as you progress which could have an effect. It could be your stock is a little to long but I wouldn't get to hung up on it and just get shooting. Remember you point a shotgun and don't aim it, so a sitting target isn't really going to help as you won't shoot it as you would a moving target. I had a go with my dad's sbs, we patterned it first and it was shooting really low. Took it on the clays and it was fine.

I dont think this is a problem - when I shot targets at close range with a 12 last week, I found I miss slightly down and to the left - maybe 1/4 inch down and a 1/2" or more to the left at 10 yds.

Since last night I got 41 ex 50 clays, I'm not that bad a shot really so its my view that just before you fire at stationary targets you are tensing for the recoil which you dont do normally and it pulls you (and me ) left a bit. As others have said it isnt a problem because whilst your grip tightens on the gun just before shooting I think you adjust when shooting flying targets. If you consistently miss clays, ask where and if its left, then you may need to either change your grip or the stock slightly, possibly just make your stance a bit less square to the target to avoid 'pulling'..

Dont worry either way - confidence is more important as you will automatically adjust after enough practice.

Good luck

edit sp

Edited by Kes

Rather than spend £40.00 pound on cartridges and X£'s on clays every day, spend £60-£80.00 on a good coach and find out what the problem is.

At Forum distance all we can do is guess what your problem could possibly be.

I would normally agree with this, it can get quite comical at times when several ternet experts get immersed in solving a guys problem when the cause could quite literally be one or more of a dozen things.

In this case though Bizzie mentions the pattern being a little to the left; a lot to the left as covered by another poster could have meant eye dominance but it isn't that here.

It is also unlikely to be hold related because a left hander doing the same test would see/cause a right slanted pattern but this does not seem to be an issue suggested by the tons of material I've read on the subject in over three decades of shooting.

I'm not saying I can't loose this bet but it's a bet worth taking, this is in my view cast related pure and simple. The amount of left bias may well be too small to worry about as the pattern spread can hide a fair bit of imperfection especially taking into account the dozen or so other things that can cause a poor hit or a clean miss. But it doesn't change the fact that many guns (particularly the less well known makes) lack enough cast to throw central patterns.

Edited by Hamster

Were you alone when on pattern plate,what distance did you shoot from,how many shots fired,did you shoot gun up or down, how many manufacturers cartridges did you use,did you change chokes in between tests. Theres a lot more to pattern plate test than some would think. do you normally shoot using ear defenders and were you wearing them when testing .

Edited by tignme

Were you alone when on pattern plate,what distance did you shoot from,how many shots fired,did you shoot gun up or down, how many manufacturers cartridges did you use,did you change chokes in between tests. Theres a lot more to pattern plate test than some would think. do you normally shoot using ear defenders and were you wearing them when testing .

yes I was alone about 30ft away I had 1/4 and 1/2 chokes in shooting gun down only used Hull compX 21g and always wear fitted earplugs.

Its possible that the wearing of ear defenders was causing you to flinch,try test without for a few shots, on your own after a few shots your breathing changes slightly and can affect your mount. Try dry mounting in the living room using all the corner angles etc as targets/clays. this will let you mount shooting low,high etc and then go bacxk to plate. It would be better if someone who is experienced on plate is with you. OBTW wecolme to the shooting sports. Ive been shooting for 51 yrs and still learning.

I would strongly advise you to throw away your easy hit sighter, it may give you confidence initialy but it will also encourage you to look at your barrels., this is a common fault with novices . your eye should be totally focused on your target not your barrels from Auntie.

:stupid:

If the amount is consistent, then it's possible that a very small adjustment to the cast will resolve it. However, a common pattern plate fault (particularly solo) is 'rifling' the shot. Try again ensuring you raise your elbow (don't force it, just raise it) thereby making sure that the stock goes into your shoulder pocket. Sitting here 100 miles away (sorry) one can only surmise, but it's worth a shot and doesn't cost. Should you do so, try it at 16 yards and then, if you seek professional advice, mentioning that fact together with the error figures will assist whoever in making a decision.

Closing one eye can make the other squint so both eyes open is better. If you don't wear prescription glasses, then a pair of shooting glasses with a patch of some description which blots out your dominant eye's sight of the barrel just as the gun comes into your shoulder (this maintains 3D vision of the target until you're going to kill it) is very effective.

Does this also mean that you hit more birds if they are going left to right or right to left.

I shoot to the left and find it easier to hit birds coming from the right as i am already in front of them,but if they come from the left i have to be an hour and a half in front :lol:

Takes a while on each session to get back to it.

Its possible that the wearing of ear defenders was causing you to flinch,try test without for a few shots, on your own after a few shots your breathing changes slightly and can affect your mount. Try dry mounting in the living room using all the corner angles etc as targets/clays. this will let you mount shooting low,high etc and then go bacxk to plate. It would be better if someone who is experienced on plate is with you. OBTW wecolme to the shooting sports. Ive been shooting for 51 yrs and still learning.

Never heard of that one before, a consistent left pull flinch caused by ear defenders? Breathing changes affecting POI ?

Its possible that the wearing of ear defenders was causing you to flinch,try test without for a few shots, .

Done shoot a gun with out ear defenders once you hearings damaged it never recovers you won't notice the damage your causing yourself until its to late. Protect your hearing at all costs.

You shoot where you look,the trick is getting your gun and eye to look at the same spot.Ask an instructor or knowledgable friend to help you,

thats about the jist of it. (so long as your scopes set).

It's a problem with range shooting from the bench, you stand once and take many shots, if your not 'pointing' at the target your learning to shot 'off' your true line.

(true line being the 'shooting true/dead center line up' etc, the line up is the stablest posision you can stand and look at the target, that line is from your best eye part that allows you to see best in a direct 'there at it', the gun scope and target then becomes nothing, its a line from your eye to where the pellet lands..you put the gun inbetween, find it and reep the benifits).

when your free walking about you tend to sort of go to on line and the gun comes up already there basisicly, if your already there thing is is always off, then you'll never find it, a visious curcle thing.

if your always to the same side or same height, could be as silly as a shoe has warn down, e.g. from driving, one sole wears quicker than the other.. could be the stock needs a shaveing.. or just plain old you hot out of bed the rong side/or got off line some other way... slept weird on an eye etc..

finding it is pritty much the the precurser to shot placement in old money turms lol....(it is the shot placement with a couple other parts..not the other way round)

and yes, even a at full prone..if your not up behind the gun looking right at the target...strangly enough your average reduces.(i.e. on your true..as in your individual head eye body shoulder legs etc's shape being at that point where least error can occur, or later where no error occurs).

hense setting your sope releif at the right height to the right shape stock to suit you basicaly, anything else is makeshift and average..and how good you can get with sort of a comuneral gun set to averagly allow the average person to ermm..shoot averagly..if you get my drift.

(average is only half way there..you fit to the gun that fits to you where you put it to...the 'where' and 'to' is where the pellet lands, which is 'shot placement' which is 'everything')

i've taken a fair bit of flack over the years for various misenterpretasions of what or how i've said it, but at last its here.. the final answer...which is why and what i'm saying with things like 'what has it got to do with any one else' i.e. they arnt shooting it, you are, if you dont learn to, they have oodles of fun telling you how 'not to shoot it your self' (dont misconstrude that as dont listen to good advice etc), it's all relative to getting your mind to first absort the new 'skill' and the new 'body sets, etc...i.e. learning.

it's what you can do without the helpful barracking and misleading 'helpers' that steal your time in years, something you can never buy, or go back and get.

yu follow the yellow brick road lol..stage 1 stage 2 stage 3.. if you learn it in the rong order (the order that yourself needs it to be in, not at the convenience of fancy magasines and A holes)..

the only way you learn what your way is is to get out and do it...time in, effert made, and best unhindered.(there isnt a thought word for aim, its auto 'feel' auto reflex'...instinct....intuision a few bits that add up to a nano second of brain activity and huge chain of nerve endings fireing as smooth as needs to be..lol

the other bits i mension are nature..spacial awarenes, by this i mean everything 'feild crafty' everything in turms of the land and its well being,(but most of all understanding yourself) realising the land sustains you, and has donr for for many a generasion, when it it didt most died basically (includingthe untouchable city dwellers in arm chairs).

it's knowing what and why your shooting and ultimatly 'your understanding'... or metofirically 'why your shot placement'. Its FOOL who kills himself by killing his thing he lives on..

thats me dun..i cant word it till your there, by which time my wording is boring because yu know.

signing off on the heavey stuff now lol..

have fun.

Edited by stoogey