officially shootless

Just had it confirmed, the little shoot I have keepered for the last 5 years has officially changed hands and the new lease holder wants to do it all himself. Feels pretty rubbish and not sure what I am going to do with my spare time! Why does there have to be so much politics in shooting, surely we are all here for the same reason, to have a good time!

Sorry to hear that mate.

A shoot that I'm part time Keeper on is trying to expand and I'm hoping next year I may get taken on full time but I'm not holding my breath because the costs are so high. The boss has started breeding his own birds now so there is hope.

One suggestion I can make.

As you know, many people don't realise how much work goes into running a shoot so stay on good terms with the new leaseholder and it's possible he'll need help, which will get you back in there.

I'm unpaid but I get all the vermin control I can handle. I get given a Muntjac or two and I get a couple of days on Pheasants as well as the beaters day so I never need to buy meat from the butchers.

I'm allowed to invite people for Pigeon/Rabbit shooting days and keep the money so there's enough to pay for my own shooting.

Be patient, once the bunnies or Pigeons have trashed his cover crops he may need help.

If not then I hope you find something soon, it's horrible being sat at home looking out of the window.

Sounds like we were in exactly the same boat, I used to do everything for free in return for a couple of driven days with the old syndicate and keep the rabbits and pigeons down for the farm, but the new richer leaseholder wants to expand and do everything by him self, with no help from any one even though we all know he hasn't got the first clue about rearing birds, releasing or how a drive works. So your right, stay on good terms and hope he gets himself in a mess! The worst thing is thats my cottage is basically in the middle of the shoot, so can see everything going on!

Edited by kennett

Sounds like we were in exactly the same boat, I used to do everything for free in return for a couple of driven days with the old syndicate and keep the rabbits and pigeons down for the farm, but the new richer leaseholder wants to expand and do everything by him self, with no help from any one even though we all know he hasn't got the first clue about rearing birds, releasing or how a drive works. So your right, stay on good terms and hope he gets himself in a mess! The worst thing is thats my cottage is basically in the middle of the shoot, so can see everything going on!

Yeah, as I say, I'm not holding my breath as far as getting paid goes.

Maybe that, once it has dawned on him it's 24/7/365 job then it will dawn on him that it's not a one man job. Can you put a feeder on your lawn? :lol:

Just had it confirmed, the little shoot I have keepered for the last 5 years has officially changed hands and the new lease holder wants to do it all himself. Feels pretty rubbish and not sure what I am going to do with my spare time! Why does there have to be so much politics in shooting, surely we are all here for the same reason, to have a good time!

I would keep in touch with the chap as he may get bored after a bit and want you back.

i had the same problem no place to shoot so i bought my own land at auction it took me 2 years to find still looking for more its off a certain water company i bought 2 plots i rent one out to graze horses on. and the prices was unbelavable

i had the same problem no place to shoot so i bought my own land at auction it took me 2 years to find still looking for more its off a certain water company i bought 2 plots i rent one out to graze horses on. and the prices was unbelavable

What are the on-going costs with regards to owning land? Are there any taxes to pay (Business rates, council tax, etc).

Would agree 100% with the above comments very few folk appreciate just how much work is involved and the volume off wheat that has to be hand balled out

A local toff (very nice fella thou) who ran a cracking family shoot, done the same thing a few years ago told the part timer he'd do it all, that seson he lost all of 700 poults within 2 days no idea why, no bodies, Turns out from the keeper who now rents the shoot he had decided to srtim round his 2 year old fencer built pen, an absolute cracker, no expense spared, but had been slightly to close to wire. Holes all round it :no::whistling:

Don't think it will be too long before u get the call

It all depends on how prepared they are, we took on a shoot and had to give the old mob the boot and really you have to at times if you want to run it differently. Its harsh but reality, it does help that the ex keeper was a bit of a knob jockey. The answer is to get the message out that you are looking for some keepering in return for shooting and odds are some syndicate will give you a go. If not then look for as much beating as possible and the opportunities will turn up.

Cheers for the advice everyone, al4x the problem is I would have counted this bloke as a friend, have known him for years and even spoke up for him when asked about him by the landowner, his friends have told him he would be stupid not to ask me to help..but oh well its his shoot now and he can do as he likes!

• 2 weeks later...