Shotgun cert full

Do not send your certificate back. If you do you will be in possession without authority.

If you are out and someone asks for it what you going to do? Sit in a cell and wait for someone to turn up.

Not that old chestnut,funnily enough the two armed officers who followed me off road in a bit of a sensitive place just asked my name and D.O.B and asked me to confirm who my truck was registered to,never checked my shotgun or rifle in the back of the truck,but were happy i had fac and a sgc and after a chat about their nice new disco getting dirty going off road they went and i cracked on.

Three times i have been checked at different places by different officers, all were happy after a radio call that i was all legal.

Send your cert back ,you are still authorised,you just won't be able to purchase ammo while the cert is away.

Do not send your certificate back. If you do you will be in possession without authority.

If you are out and someone asks for it what you going to do? Sit in a cell and wait for someone to turn up.

you could apply for a European Firearms Pass (EFP) this is an additional licence that allows you to travel and use a gun within the EU. that way if you have to send in your SGC or FAC or if you loose it, you are still covered until the UK specific one arrives back.

Wild rover 77 - are you saying that your local firearms licensing are allowing you to use a piece of paper attached to a SGC? I know from past experience that some force licensing departments do some weird stuff - afterall they aren't the ones who get into trouble. Personally, I think you are on very thin ice to put it mildly! I firmly stick by my previous comments.

Best wishes

Andy

Wild rover 77 - are you saying that your local firearms licensing are allowing you to use a piece of paper attached to a SGC? I know from past experience that some force licensing departments do some weird stuff - afterall they aren't the ones who get into trouble. Personally, I think you are on very thin ice to put it mildly! I firmly stick by my previous comments.

Best wishes

Andy

Why would I be on thin ice? Just because it is not a fancy piece of pre printed paper? The gun is listed in the same format as on the original paper and they were notified in the correct way.

Anyway that is what I was told to do.

Was in a dealers several moths ago when one of his regular customers wanted to purchase a shotgun but had no space left, RFD flatly refused to fill details in on a blank piece of paper and said that it was not legal.

In my experience most RFDs have very poor knowledge of the law, like a lot of police forces they make it up as they go along.

I have had and RFD refuse to put a 12 bore rifle on my certificate because' rifled barrel shotguns are S5'

I have seen an RFD do a one for one for a rifle on the spot? He got hauled over the coals for that.

These are just two examples

to be honest

for the price you pay for 2 pages with a photo one, that as soon as you fold it.. starts to get knackered. we should get something a little more robust and with more pages for the cost. a small book would be ideal.

or just a ID card. were an firearms dealer can just log into a secure firearms database and log it into the system when you buy a new gun or sell, saves all the paper and the usual, send a letter and phone up in 3 weeks to find they haven't got to it in the pile yet !

sort of like a drivers licence that has what class of gun your licensed for. and if your stopped by the police, a simple radio in will confirm the gun you have on you is yours.

and as a owner you could sign in to your account and transfer guns the same way. from licence number to licence number, an alert would come up at the office and they phone you up to confirm. they would get loads done in the time. its 2013.. time to modernise it.

sorry for the ramble.

to be honest

for the price you pay for 2 pages with a photo one, that as soon as you fold it.. starts to get knackered. we should get something a little more robust and with more pages for the cost. a small book would be ideal.

or just a ID card. were an firearms dealer can just log into a secure firearms database and log it into the system when you buy a new gun or sell, saves all the paper and the usual, send a letter and phone up in 3 weeks to find they haven't got to it in the pile yet !

sort of like a drivers licence that has what class of gun your licensed for. and if your stopped by the police, a simple radio in will confirm the gun you have on you is yours.

and as a owner you could sign in to your account and transfer guns the same way. from licence number to licence number, an alert would come up at the office and they phone you up to confirm. they would get loads done in the time. its 2013.. time to modernise it.

sorry for the ramble.

I like that idea , after all most are happy to use internet banking and thats dealing with one of the most personal matters in modern living.

Wonder what the start up costs would be though i predict a fee rise.

I like that idea , after all most are happy to use internet banking and thats dealing with one of the most personal matters in modern living.

Wonder what the start up costs would be though i predict a fee rise.

to be honest, if it took out all the faf with letters, sending licences in to alter, needing more space so have to send it back and the whole cant use a gun without the paper bit... i would be happy with a bit of a rise in fee.