went to church today

unapalomablanca

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear poppythedog hit a raw nerve did it ? :whistling: I'm just longing for some atheist smart a..e! to top em selves on Monday & come back next week & tell us what its all about ? any volunteers ? :lol: have a nice day mate & don't volunteer for Gods sake ! :)

Why not try it yourself, I'm sure your sky fairy will buy your story of it being an experiment to convert unbelievers and send you back.................... Or will he. Over to you.

Why not try it yourself, I'm sure your sky fairy will buy your story of it being an experiment to convert unbelievers and send you back.................... Or will he. Over to you.

We just have to wait & see mate ! not much else we can do except try too get along till the day comes which it will , more than that ?????.

see this is a prime example of religion sparking division and unrest between folk...................just as it always has all through history.the differance is people usually hide behind religion to gain power,wealth or land.

But I think poopythedog is an atheist ? so its not just believers ? . God bless you all even poppthedog but I have get on with jobs , Might be back later :) dead or alive :lol:

Went to stay with my cousin in Bury this weekend just gone We could hear them at Gigg Lane getting ready for football that does nothing for me then they played the last post not a pin dropping could be heard We assumed and took it that it was for the Lancrshire Fusalier it was for us

Three stood quitely in the garden Thats Religeon

No I can't answer all man's questions but I don't need to use a 2000 yr old chinese whisper to answer them for me.

Can anyone who believes in this rot tell me when, in what language, where and by whom any of the various versions of the fairy book were written? No because they don't know, they "think" it was written around 300 yrs after the events so lets look at this and see if it makes sense. There was a bloke, maybe, possibly or it may have been a mate of a mate's brother who met a bloke who told him that there was this bloke that might have cured someone of a really nasty cold, oh and there was this bird who got knocked up on a one night stand and had to think of an excuse in a hurry. Thankfully her old man was a bit thick & he bought her story of the Arch Fairy giving her a "present" I mean please, what a crock of shi ite, religion was and always will be about a few educated (mostly) men controlling the not so educated masses and relieving them of as much cash as possible to keep them grateful for their miserable existence.

Lets see if we can sift out some of your rubbish before answering your questions. It is not 2000 years old it is about 3- 3400 years old (another 100 years older if you add on Abram). It is now a book but used to be scrolls. It isn`t a chinese whisper although it was originally orated, remember 12 yo boys had to recite the Pentateuch absolutely verbatim in front of the family, tribe and the 12 assembled tribes, so there would be no chance of error. Language was ancient Hebrew, or "habiru" iirc and there are no versions just translations.

A long time before the "bloke" etc. there was the creation story, which has been verified by science (Big bang theory) we then rattle swiftly through the history of Israel which is historically verified by by other nations tablets, steles and cylinders which still exist today along with treaties, lists, dockets, letters, tablets, inscriptions.... that the Israelite nation had no influence on what was written on them and we get to the year dot.

Few questions for you now;

Even if you are a clever educated man how do you get people to follow you through the desert for 40 years?

How did the educated men end up getting themselves and their nation taken off into exile?

Where is the evidence that refutes the Gospels and letters?

Going back to creation, if the observable and unobservable universe popped into existence as science tells us, how is that more likely to have happened and immaculate conception not?

Edited by henry d

Think this could be a good time for this one

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned

to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike

up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total

stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God,

or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.

"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask

you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same

stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns

out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence,

thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I really have no idea."

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss

God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know ****?"

And then she went back to reading her book.

Peddle your Deity to James Bulger or April Jones or the thousands of children murdered every year. When you have finished doing that collect the 14+ million people who died in the Holocaust and ask their souls to praise the Almighty. Religion is for those scared of dying or too lazy to contemplate the truth. Take a look around the world at the suffering of "his" children you will realise that man was born of bacteria and detritus-and is heading back that way at high speed.

I decided to go to a church service today, apart from christenings and weddings and the odd Christmas service, I have never really gone. I went to a c of e school as a kid and had plenty of church visits but never really got into it, although I respected it. Anyway, I went today to an ecumenical service, it was a bit of this and a bit of that with a communion thrown in, and I have to say I enjoyed it, people have their reasons for going and I think mine is to try and get a faith and find more inner strength. The people there were great, and the minister made a point of introducing me to everyone and a bbq was served afterwards. I will definitely go again, I might go round to different churches and just get an idea of what I like.

regards. una.

p.s After just the one visit, I think I 'get' the point of it.

This might be of interest, it is an introduction into Christianity and is offered as an informal introduction by Churches all over the country, it will certainly stimulate your thinking.

http://www.alpha.org/

Ok I'm game.

Lets see if we can sift out some of your rubbish before answering your questions. It is not 2000 years old it is about 3- 3400 years old (another 100 years older if you add on Abram). It is now a book but used to be scrolls Still got any of the originals that were written by an eye witness by any chance?. It isn`t a chinese whisper although it was originally orated, For how many years was it orated? remember 12 yo boys had to recite the Pentateuch absolutely verbatim in front of the family, tribe and the 12 assembled tribes, so there would be no chance of error You seriously think there is no room for error? Thousands of people many of whom never met anyone but their immediate neighbours living in isolated areas hundreds of miles from other groups with little or no communication with the wider world and you think they would repeat exactly the same story to other groups after how many years of isolation? Language was ancient Hebrew, or "habiru" iirc and there are no versions just translations. Are you sure your version came 1st? All the versions translations that evolved into other religions happened at the same time by coincedence did they or is this what happens when you launch a chinese whisper?

A long time before the "bloke" etc. there was the creation story, glad you recognise it as a story, they didn't know what had created the earth so they made it up. which has been verified by science (Big bang theory) we then rattle swiftly through the history of Israel which is historically verified by by other nations tablets, steles and cylinders which still exist today along with treaties, lists, dockets, letters, tablets, inscriptions.... that the Israelite nation had no influence on what was written on them and we get to the year dot.

Even if you are a clever educated man how do you get people to follow you through the desert for 40 years? Easy, form a gang, man has done it from the off & still does it, there are plenty of "gangs" still wandering the deserts of the world today, it's called pack mentality.

How did the educated men end up getting themselves and their nation taken off into exile? Bumped into a bigger, harder gang.

Where is the evidence that refutes the Gospels and letters? Science, logic & common sense.

Going back to creation, if the observable and unobservable universe popped into existence as science tells us, how is that more likely to have happened and immaculate conception not? It didn't, it took billions of years & is an ongoing construction project. Immaculate conception? Please think about that, a sky fairy implants a fertilised egg in a random woman's womb?

Even with modern communications we, in our tiny island, tell different versions of stories that happened just a matter of a few years ago, our language has changed almost out of recognition in a few hundred years. I repeat, your story is a fairy tale, believe it if you wish but how anyone can believe their merciful god allowes all the horrors of this world for a reason is beyond me.

Good night.

Ok I'm game.

Lets see if we can sift out some of your rubbish before answering your questions. It is not 2000 years old it is about 3- 3400 years old (another 100 years older if you add on Abram). It is now a book but used to be scrolls Still got any of the originals that were written by an eye witness by any chance?. It isn`t a chinese whisper although it was originally orated, For how many years was it orated? remember 12 yo boys had to recite the Pentateuch absolutely verbatim in front of the family, tribe and the 12 assembled tribes, so there would be no chance of error You seriously think there is no room for error? Thousands of people many of whom never met anyone but their immediate neighbours living in isolated areas hundreds of miles from other groups with little or no communication with the wider world and you think they would repeat exactly the same story to other groups after how many years of isolation? Language was ancient Hebrew, or "habiru" iirc and there are no versions just translations. Are you sure your version came 1st? All the versions translations that evolved into other religions happened at the same time by coincedence did they or is this what happens when you launch a chinese whisper?

A long time before the "bloke" etc. there was the creation story, glad you recognise it as a story, they didn't know what had created the earth so they made it up. which has been verified by science (Big bang theory) we then rattle swiftly through the history of Israel which is historically verified by by other nations tablets, steles and cylinders which still exist today along with treaties, lists, dockets, letters, tablets, inscriptions.... that the Israelite nation had no influence on what was written on them and we get to the year dot.

Even if you are a clever educated man how do you get people to follow you through the desert for 40 years? Easy, form a gang, man has done it from the off & still does it, there are plenty of "gangs" still wandering the deserts of the world today, it's called pack mentality.

How did the educated men end up getting themselves and their nation taken off into exile? Bumped into a bigger, harder gang.

Where is the evidence that refutes the Gospels and letters? Science, logic & common sense.

Going back to creation, if the observable and unobservable universe popped into existence as science tells us, how is that more likely to have happened and immaculate conception not? It didn't, it took billions of years & is an ongoing construction project. Immaculate conception? Please think about that, a sky fairy implants a fertilised egg in a random woman's womb?

Even with modern communications we, in our tiny island, tell different versions of stories that happened just a matter of a few years ago, our language has changed almost out of recognition in a few hundred years. I repeat, your story is a fairy tale, believe it if you wish but how anyone can believe their merciful god allowes all the horrors of this world for a reason is beyond me.

Good night.

but just as your trying to prove god doesn't exist,it can never be proved.nor has it been proved that he does.thats why its called believing,and not knowing.the fact is some people find the need to know before they believe,others have faith in things.but then again it'd be a dull world if was all the same.

Why are some people who do not believe so anxious to disprove and belittle those that do?

I was wondering the exact same thing myself.

The original poster told us they had been to Church and it was a pleasant experience, they suggested they may go again. When I read this I thought to myself 'great, if your happy, Im happy' - its good to hear nice things, regardless of what they are about. Just as I would be happy to see a report of a member having a 250 bird day.

As far as I can see there are no Christians trying to ram any beliefs down anyone's throats here, a good number of people have said things like 'good for you' or ' I believe without going to Church' etc. Then along come the atheists ready to take on anyone who remotely appears to be a believer with the same old stuff about Darwin and the suffering millions.

Is there really any need? if you dont like the original posters content then move on to the next thread, why the need to put the subject down?

but just as your trying to prove god doesn't exist,it can never be proved.nor has it been proved that he doesn't .thats why its called believing,and not knowing.the fact is some people find the need to know before they believe,others have faith in things.

Nicely put.

Edited by Alan Maughan