Cartridge failure rate?.

What is your thoughts on the failure rate for a slab

I have recently had a slab of lylevale English sporter produce 6 misfired cartridges..

Two were strong enough to clear the barrel just producing a strange report..

The other four all fizzed and left wad in the barrel. Not so much of an issue in the ou but could have been a disaster in the pump!

I know it's not an issue with my storage as they are less than a month with me under the stairs.....

I am going to take the packaging back to Scats to see what they can do? Badly stored or bad batch?

I bought a slab of 23grm 12g Fiocchi's a while ago. I know a lot of people on here rate them, so it must have been a duff/damp batch I picked up. They were weak with a dull report. No fizzers or wads stuck, but I shouldn't think the shot dribbled past 20yards :lol: Other than those, in 40 years shooting I've never had a misfire, and used all sorts :good:

Edited by turbo33

After me and my mate have used 1000's of cheddite cartridges only ever had a problem with one cartridge and the only conclusion we came to was a duff primer, the primer was cleanly stuck indent in centre of primer and nothin. The only thing we did was destroy the cartridge.

I only use clear pigeon and touch wood never had a dud use around slab n half a week give or take

i have had one and I was really surprised I have used 1000s over the yrs clear pigeon 30g 6s 70mm :) so one lost I'm happy. Edited by delburt0

• 2 weeks later...

My mate once gave me about 20 winchester 410s that was at least 15 years old I took one of the catridges out the box and the primer was dented sort of half dented it looked like it had been hit by a weak firing pin. I loaded it in the gun n fired it and it went off no problems abit scary really as it could have gone off with the slightest knock.

All the other cartridges went off fine so they must have been stored well.