Choke: why not both barrels the same?

DNS

I shoot a Beratta multi-choke u/o.

In an attempt to improve my miserable accuracy by removing as many variables as possible, I've bought an extra spare choke and gone for 1/2 in both barrels.

A standard suggestion I see often is to use 1/2 and 1/4. Is that just because a typical shooter of a m/c will have a range of chokes, but no duplicates? Or is it the case that some people make a conscious decision which barrel to fire depending on the target or quarry's presentation?

Edited by DNS

Shoot a fixed choke now 1/4 and 1/2 on crows selective barrel use the 1/2 first if shooting incoming birds. Used to shoot a multi choke on crows 1/2 and 1/2 saved switching barrels.

Find 1/2 plenty to drop all my crows and all other birds, never shot anything more that 1/2. :good:

Horses for courses.

My game gun is SxS half and full.

I shoot pigeons with a 3 shot semi-auto multichoke and I used to use 1/4 but now use 1/2.

I've never yet seen a Pigeon flying into the pattern and changed choke before I shot it.

Also, it is assumed that if the quarry is missed with the first barrel then, by the time the second shot is taken, it will be further away so a tighter choke would be more appropriate.

+1

i shoot trap 1/2 and 3/4 and sporting with the same gun 1/2 and 3/4, cant be ***** changing the chokes around on each stand so i just leave them in! and yes i do have a full set of chokes. :lol: :lol:

another thing to consider if you're talking about shooting clays, i was chatting to my rfd the other day and his opinion is you're better off changing your cartridges than changing chokes for different birds.

my shooting buddy put 1/4 and 1/2 in his new gun when he bought it and hasn't changed them ever since, i dont notice any difference in the kills between the barrels when were out shooting clays, and neither does he.

confidence in you're setup is what you need, and if like me putting 2 of the same chokes in does it for you then that's what you should be doing.

For clay's in the 687 1/4 & 1/4 with 28g No 8, it just works, i might throw in a 1/2 for a long target, but that particular gun shoots tight.

For Trap in the 682 Improved Modified and Light Full with 28g No 7 1/2. And if i can hit 98/100 on DTL then i'm not going to change that combination.

For Pigeons in the Maxus 1/2 choke with 32g No 6. Again it just works.

Just take your guns to the clay ground and experiment with choke and different cartridges and find the combination that works for you and Your gun.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Fixed qtr and half. I use quarter first and hit as many birds with either barrel. Can select barrels by having a double single trigger but its more Comfy for me to use the rear trigger so that's how I shoot and it works.

Don't give it any more thought than that

Karpman