Making a walnut shotgun stock. A restoration project.

demonwolf444

Im going to have to invest in some tools i think. Really enjoying this restoration though!

I have some days on mixed pheasant and duck when the season kicks off, and i might well take this along. However it leaves me with a dilemma. If i was to comply with the lead shot ban for waterfowl, i now have the challenge of finding and no doubt financing the cost of some 2.5 inch non toxic shot, that is suitable to shoot through this gun which is not steel proofed ( cant remember what the chokes are like of the top of my head )

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to have to invest in some tools i think. Really enjoying this restoration though!

I have some days on mixed pheasant and duck when the season kicks off, and i might well take this along. However it leaves me with a dilemma. If i was to comply with the lead shot ban for waterfowl, i now have the challenge of finding and no doubt financing the cost of some 2.5 inch non toxic shot, that is suitable to shoot through this gun which is not steel proofed ( cant remember what the chokes are like of the top of my head )

I was paying £22 for 25 32gram 4s bismuth in a 2.5" case at the end of last fowling season. Much more expensive than lead but safe to use in your gun.

Thanks guys, on holiday at the moment - but when I get back I will be finishing this up in time for the season - then I will be starting perhaps two or three interesting projects - imcluding airguns with limited tools, a shotgun from scratch, amongst many other experiments, I will be sure to keep you posted on any progress ( or lack of )

It's looking brilliant, well done!

I've really enjoyed stalking this thread to!

However my OCD couldn't cope with the off centre "gold/silver dot" I would be looking for a bigger one to resolve it!

Great work!

I can understand the OCD thing, i don't have it but you can imagine how anal i was getting over this stock then one of the holes came out a little off center, i widened it as much as i dared to bring it around, but hey at the end of the day I'm still damned proud of it and after i have dropped a pheasant ( the first bird has to be a pheasant ) with it i probably wont care. Here and there there are imperfections, you have to look hard, but it gets me that they are there - i wont be surprised if in five years time this is wearing another stock. The chequering is going to be a bum clenching moment so if anyone can advise me on it that would be great!

Some interesting recent videos on the MidwayUSA YouTube channel with regards to stock making. I think there is more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVYkbbrXEVCGiwOQ3iCC1Gw

Those midway USA videos have been great i have watched probably all of them more than once. But its all well and good when you have every piece of trade specific kit and you can condense three days of work into three and a half minutes and then say in that accent " and thats the way it is " but i found the reality was much harder. In all seriousness they were bloody useful videos i would usually consider this kind of work beyond me, and for that reason i nearly didnt take on the project, but i am so glad that i did.

A promise that i am now back and will be doing some more work on the drop points tomorrow. I have ordered the napier london stock finish kit. I also need to widen the hole that the safety seer moves in a little still as it is a little bit stiff. The person who promised me the chequering tools has been unable to find them, so if anyone can source some for me to borrow i would really appreciate that. If you don't live too far away i can trade a week or so with the tools for some beer or something. Or if you are further afield i can cover postage costs. Excited to get it finished for the season, have a guest day or too so it will definitely get a chance at some pheasants. I also have to finish up the case lining.

Any progress will be photographed and put up as and when. The chequering is likely to take a lot of time and practice so please bear with me!

I'm really impressed with this project. A great thing to take on and I was pretty sceptical at first of how that lump of wood would turn out! I have been blown away. Good on you.
T

Thankyou, i was really unsure as like you i didnt know what grain was underneath that rough sawn lumber, but i got lucky and it has turned out pretty nice and i cant wait to see it finished up. I still haven't put a shot through it as before it has anything through it i want to to be in a finished condition.

I have no idea - have never done chequering and have no tools to do it.

Welsh Warrior - Thankyou

As I understand it there are different cutters, I need one that just sort of scratches the lines, then a couple that progressively take the diamonds to a point. But they need to be all the same LPI. I don't know what the "Usual" LPI is for these guns. I appreciate the offer but surely I would need a set of tools? otherwise I would lay out the lines and be searching for someone who has the right LPI tools to point up the diamonds? Unless I have completely not understood the point. PM me if you like to discuss. Thankyou!

Internet has been down the last few days - Ill update tomorrow didn't get much of a chance to get going today.

There are a few good videos on YouTube on doing chequering/chequering - put those terms into the YouTube search bar and you can see.

The videos by MidwayUSA are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreA94gX3G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpMT-8Ksrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SbkZuT4WtQ

Edited by aris

Found that the fore end is checkered at 12 LPI and the stock was done at a finer 16 LPI.

I still need to buy or borrow some checkering tools for 16 LPI, as it seems to be a fairly popular coarseness of checkering they seem to be sold out on a lot of websites. So if anyone can find any links where they are currently in stock that would be good. Ordering from the USA seems cheep but then shipping is ridiculous.

Anyway great news the stock finish kit arrived today :)

Here's a teaser before i get started.

post-24172-0-54566300-1377964237_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-15179900-1377964238_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-88473900-1377964238_thumb.jpg

The kit looks interesting, not sure if it was worth 25 quid yet. The stock so far has been sanded to 360grit, but i will take it progressively to 1000 grit; then apply the finish as per the instructions and hope for the best! The instructions are limited but they do sell a DVD guide, but again, im just not sure that will be worth the 20 odd quid it costs!

Will keep you posted, should be getting the finish done in the next few days!

the stock will need finishing with wire wool before applying a finish wet the stock with water dry with a heat source and this will lift all the little splinters you have sanded flat using wire wool will cut them off instead of flattening them down again

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter