Gun mounted lamps

Madness

Got myself a .17hmr, what lamps are you guys using on yours?

All of my lamping in the past has been with the lurchers and i use a lightforce striker variable but figure something like that would maybe be abit bulky mounted on top of a scope. Got a blitz aswell but may aswell use a sattelite dish as it's nigh on the same size. Some of my lamping will be from the motor but alot of the land will have to be done on foot.

Take a look at the Cluson BLaserlite. It's an excellent lamp and is equally suited for both scope mounted or hand held. I've had mine for around 8 years with no problems. Not cheap, but top quality.

http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/lazerlite-blazerlite-gun-lights/268-gl13-blazer-2-million-cp-gunlight-db-jp.html

Get comfy before you read this thread, it's been going on for a year, LED technology is leaping forwards in big bounds. If you have a P60/501B laying about there are some very decent 200 yard red LED upgrades for them now.:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/211717-modified-led-lamping-torches/

as above its the way i have gone and i wont be going back to big lights an wires i have 4 x 501b lights i have 1 mounted on gun 1 in pocket 1 spare i leave in car and one with a white led for .222 to identify fox at distances all for under. £100

colin

Was going to start a thread similar to this one (have read the older threads too)...... have a .17HMR too, been using a Logun lamp but the battery is past its best so looking to upgrade to LED..... Lots of choice but it leaves me abit lost!

Have been looking at a PAO LumenMax 225: http://riflesandrods.co.uk/index.php/pao-hunting-lamp.html it SOUNDS like it could be a really good buy - whats the forums opinions?

I got the NM800 a few months ago and I think it is amazing. I have used it for foxing and rabbiting, never has the batteries run dead on me. I got the turbo kit which is handy as you can use the 2 batteries at once.

The NM800 is handy as it is ready to go when you buy it. I know a lot of ones on here have been making their own lamps, but I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to that side of things.

Was going to start a thread similar to this one (have read the older threads too)...... have a .17HMR too, been using a Logun lamp but the battery is past its best so looking to upgrade to LED..... Lots of choice but it leaves me abit lost!

Have been looking at a PAO LumenMax 225: http://riflesandrods.co.uk/index.php/pao-hunting-lamp.html it SOUNDS like it could be a really good buy - whats the forums opinions?

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket Callahan. (said in the sort of tone Callahans bosses rollick him in) :lol:

What the vendors forgot to mention is that whilst filters sound good to old school shooters, and the white light IS very bright, (more than bright enough to startle most nocturnal quarry) white LED's have very little other colour in its very narrow bandwidth, unlike filament bulbs that have a lot of red in them from the burning filament.

In short - very little light will pass your coloured filters from a white LED.

Did you miss my offer of a free trial - apart from postage in another thread I have had running for over a year? B)

Edited by Dave-G

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket Callahan. (said in the sort of tone Callahans bosses rollick him in) :lol:

What the vendors forgot to mention is that whilst filters sound good to old school shooters, and the white light IS very bright, (more than bright enough to startle most nocturnal quarry) white LED's have very little other colour in its very narrow bandwidth, unlike filament bulbs that have a lot of red in them from the burning filament.

In short - very little light will pass your coloured filters from a white LED.

Did you miss my offer of a free trial - apart from postage in another thread I have had running for over a year? B)

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!" ;)

Cheers for the insight - i was/am dubious about LED's and filters, but my thinking was the handiness of switching colours for different situations (at a comparitive bargain compared to the NM800 which is 3 times the price!). There are one or two on Ebay which may well do but your buying in the dark as it were with no reviews or feedback as to how good the products are.

Im not really in the position to buy anything right now (although i could push myself if i thought it was very reasonably priced), i have a long term drain on my resources who says holidays are more important then toys for my gun :whistling: but id like to know whats the best suited item for my requirements (.17HMR shooting rabbits ideally red light at least - possibly having green light too? and covering a range of 100-150yards) and the sortof price itl cost me so i can start to plan my finances.

I would be grateful if you were to PM me some info of what you have to offer Dave. I didnt really want to contact you straight off as im just new on here