What a Night!

steve_b_wales

Yesterday morning, I received a text from the land owner of one of my permissions, to say that he had seen a few fox cub's on the farm. I contacted Mark (the poacher) and we decided to go up at 8.30pm last night to see if we could get any. I took my .243, and told Mark to take his shotgun. And just as well, because it came in handy on more than one occasion.

I set up by a tree, which was on top of a steep slope that went down to a woodland. Mark set up under an old tree that had fallen down. It was still light, so we did'nt need the lamp.I started to call, and after about 10 minutes, I could hear Mark's shotgun firing. Unknown to me, Mark was tracking a young cub that was making it's way to where I was calling. At one point, the cub came within 3 ft of Mark, and he had to wait until it moved away before he could shoot it, using an AlfaMax BB cartridge.It was a vixen,and cub #1 was in the bag.

We moved further down the field, and set up by a dry stone wall. I rested my rifle on a cushion that I had made, and started calling. After calling for around 5 minutes, my rifle was knocked to the side, by a fox cub who had sneaked along the other side of the wall and jumped up at the rifle.knocking the moderator. The field on the other side of the wall slopes up towards it, and it was only approx 3 ft high on that side. To say it startled me, is an understatement. The cub ran down the field, but did not stop long enough for me to get a shot off.

We then tried a different field, but no joy. We decided to make our way back to where Mark had shot the first cub, and as we were walking across the field, Mark picked up a set of eyes by the fence line. We moved down the field to get along side the fence, and we called another cub to within 20 yards. It turned away from us, and I shot it with the rifle. That one was a dog, and cub #2 was also 'in the bag'.

It was now around 11pm, and we decided to take another look where Mark shot the first one, and when scanning with the lamp (Lightforce 240 Blitz with amber filter) we could see that there were a few sheep that seemed agitated and were looking all around them. Then we could see a set of eyes by the other side of the fence. We went down to where we saw them,started calling again, and a cub was making it's way towards us. It stopped by the bottom of the slope, but I could'nt shoot it, as there was woodland behind it, and houses behind the woodland. The cub started weaving it's way up the slope towards us, and as soon as it presented itself with a safe shot, I took it. It was approx 40 yards away, and you could hear the 'slap' of the 100grn SP bullet making contact. We could see that the cub was still alive, so we ran along the fenceline, and I used Mark's shotgun to finish it off. Because of the damage the bullet caused to the fox, we could'nt make out if it was a male or female. But cub #3 joined the other two.

We took a few photo's, and intended to try the bottom field again, but the lamp battery started to fail, so we called it a night.And a very successful night it was too. My thanks go to Mark for his company and lamping skills. We intend to go back up in a few days time to see if we can get anymore.

The photo's show cub#1 & 2, the wall where I rested my rifle, and the trio of cubs.

CUB 111.jpg

CUB 222.jpg

CUB 333.jpg

CUB 444.jpg

a very interesting night,with a good outcome and to say that fox startled us was a understatement,could,nt,, believe it .....actually jumped on to the end of the moderator of steve,s 243 hahahahahaha,and to end the night with 3 fox,s was a good result 1 happy farmer and 2 happy chappies :good:

well done steve great night ,what call was you using steve? thanks

I was using a mix of different calls. I had a 'best fox call', a Teal button caller and a homemade one, which was 2 lollypop sticks taped together with a plastic reed in between. The good thing about this one is that you can made different sounds by using various types of plastic, and also using 2 reeds. I make a few, and each one is different to the other.

I also have at my disposal, a Foxpro Spitfire and a Callmaster (mini colibri)

thanks for that steve,i also find you get better results if you vary and change from one call to another making different sound/squeeks, again a great night well done

I have found that cubs will come into almost any type of sound you make, as they are still inquisitive. As they get older, they become more wary.And sometimes, even with the best electronic or hand call, they are just not interested.