Barrel cleaning solvent

30-6

Petrol is great and only £1.34 a ltr cheaper than all these other solvents.

Use it with a good brush and pull through with a clean bit of rag and look at all the years of grime, I even soak the trigger action whole in a Tupperware tub to strip all the **** off before re oiling it ( I say oil but I use a ptfe spray that dries so no **** sticks to it )

Petrol is great and only £1.34 a ltr cheaper than all these other solvents.

Use it with a good brush and pull through with a clean bit of rag and look at all the years of grime, I even soak the trigger action whole in a Tupperware tub to strip all the **** off before re oiling it ( I say oil but I use a ptfe spray that dries so no **** sticks to it )

Does petrol removed copper ???

no way i am putting petrol or diesel anywhere near my gun!

i use parker hale 009

just use the proper stuff :)

ive been an engineer all my life and i have used all sorts of wonderfull solvents and degreasers and some cost pence and some cost pounds but i find ( and this is just my opinion ) petrol to work very well at a small cost i use it for everything from degreasing engine blocks to cleaning stains off my hands ( that swafega wont get off ) never tried diesel though as it leaves an oiley residue.

ive been an engineer all my life and i have used all sorts of wonderfull solvents and degreasers and some cost pence and some cost pounds but i find ( and this is just my opinion ) petrol to work very well at a small cost i use it for everything from degreasing engine blocks to cleaning stains off my hands ( that swafega wont get off ) never tried diesel though as it leaves an oiley residue.

Ok, I have used petrol historically for a number of cleaning jobs but stayed away from it for years, and never used it on any gun, it is of course very volatile as well. Out of curiosity what about the likes of cellulose thinners, acetone, etc if we are moving away from the norm, "plastic" stocks beware I suspect?

it

No solvent will disolve coppe but it will remove residue thats why you need to use a brush aswell.

Dave i have just weighed a bullet,nosler bt55grn after being in K12 for 2 days and weighed it again and its lost 1.3 grn's so yes it does dissolve copper. 53.7grn's

OK your not going to soak your barrel for 2 days but it proves a point. I will try petrol next week to see how much that has an effect on a simalar bullet, also Butchers and Bore Foam and let you know.

I have had a go with quite a few over the years and now use KG , its the best and easy to use , the less you scrub the less likley you are of doing damage to your bore . I pur KG on a patch wet it only give it 30secs dry wipe out do once more and done , I have left it to soak and have not had any sign of copper on a clean patch.

I have had a go with quite a few over the years and now use KG , its the best and easy to use , the less you scrub the less likley you are of doing damage to your bore . I pur KG on a patch wet it only give it 30secs dry wipe out do once more and done , I have left it to soak and have not had any sign of copper on a clean patch. HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE COPPER IS GONE?

Wipe out is the best product I have used, but I don't know if anyone in the UK carries it. Hoppes no9 is ok as a solvent but doesn't remove copper unless you use the specific copper remover that they make. Butch's bore shine is good stuff but as noted above it stinks. Petrol is fine in your car but has no place in the barrel of a rifle.

Dave i have just weighed a bullet,nosler bt55grn after being in K12 for 2 days and weighed it again and its lost 1.3 grn's so yes it does dissolve copper. 53.7grn's

OK your not going to soak your barrel for 2 days but it proves a point. I will try petrol next week to see how much that has an effect on a simalar bullet, also Butchers and Bore Foam and let you know.

How anal are you!!! I look forward to the final results

so simple its brilliant i'll be interested shal i do shooters choice?for a proper test the same bullets should be used with the same surface area and i don't have 55 grn girley wee things just the 75s :lol:

so simple its brilliant i'll be interested shal i do shooters choice?for a proper test the same bullets should be used with the same surface area and i don't have 55 grn girley wee things just the 75s :lol:

We could make it a little more even then. :smartass: you put 3 of your little ones in a tub and i'll put 1 of my 220grn Noslers in one,,,,

:lol:

Dave me anal ???

i just found it hard to believe that products designed to remove copper, were actually not doing what they were supposed to, thus leading all us shooter's down the garden path, and to add to this breaking the law a far as the 1968-1972 trades discription act.

Dont get me wrong Dave i'm not having a pop, i would have been right behind you claiming my hard erned back off the companies selling these products. But i thought i would check first :P

Dave get yourself to Catton this weekend its a good day out :yes:

Wipe out is the best product I have used, but I don't know if anyone in the UK carries it. Hoppes no9 is ok as a solvent but doesn't remove copper unless you use the specific copper remover that they make. Butch's bore shine is good stuff but as noted above it stinks. Petrol is fine in your car but has no place in the barrel of a rifle.

Best I've ever used.

Here you go.........http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/index.php/our-products/reloading/cleaning-products

We could make it a little more even then. :smartass: you put 3 of your little ones in a tub and i'll put 1 of my 220grn Noslers in one,,,,

:lol:

Dave me anal ???

i just found it hard to believe that products designed to remove copper, were actually not doing what they were supposed to, thus leading all us shooter's down the garden path, and to add to this breaking the law a far as the 1968-1972 trades discription act.

Dont get me wrong Dave i'm not having a pop, i would have been right behind you claiming my hard erned back off the companies selling these products. But i thought i would check first :P

Dave get yourself to Catton this weekend its a good day out :yes:

Sorry mate must be my time of the month or somthing, looking forward to the results.

ps: can you get red bull under the trades discription act for me as its says in there adverts " red bull gives you wings " but it only gives me wind?