Compact tractor or Quad ?

jasper3

Hi guys , well it looks like i am buying a place with about 5/6 acres

so will NEED either a small tractor or quad bike

any of you guys have any experience good or bad with either..what should i look out for...i did put up a thread a while ago about quads and honda won hands down..so if i do go down the quad route...it will be a honda foreman

budget of about £5K

edit..i will be keeping a few sheep, pigs ducks turkey and chickens..plus veg patch

Edited by jasper3

I have an old fergie 35, diesel, starts well and with a few bits (buckrake, trailer, mower) does everything I need.

I also have a John Deere 955 which I came across - front loader, post hole borer, and bearcat shredder, it also came with a large rear mounted bucket.

The first cost £1500 and has gone up in price, the JD i have been offered the same as I paid for it without selling the implements, I'd go for a tractor although if you are just looking for an excuse - the quad and a Honda at that,

I have an old fergie 35, diesel, starts well and with a few bits (buckrake, trailer, mower) does everything I need.

I also have a John Deere 955 which I came across - front loader, post hole borer, and bearcat shredder, it also came with a large rear mounted bucket.

The first cost £1500 and has gone up in price, the JD i have been offered the same as I paid for it without selling the implements, I'd go for a tractor although if you are just looking for an excuse - the quad and a Honda at that,

The old fergies are by far my favorite tractor.

I was working on land rover today over on a friends farm and i was surrounded in the workshop by a 35, 135 vineyard and 168! Sometimes he lets me drive them about :lol:

I think most old tractors are more characters than machines Matt but that man Ferguson was an absolute genius.

When I was a lad we used to farm with an old Allis B and a Fordson Major that we fitted bread van (ford) engine into - the farmers son wanted a power major but the best he got was a 'semi'. I also remember the old Nuffield which we used one of the first, I think it was a 10/60. But you are right Jasper - I think I could cope with a new one !!!

I have got a Ferguson T20 and its a great little tractor but with your budget I would probably go for something a bit newer like a Ferguson 135 or Fordson Super Dexta as both are reasonably quick on the road, have extra BHP and also have a few extra goodies like draft control. Rather than buying a more modern compact tractor the older tractors have the massive advantage of having spares readily available and are cheap to repair (assuming you are good with a set of spanners)

If you want something a bit bigger we have a nuffield 4/60 (same as the 10/60) and its been a cracking tractor and you seem to be able to pick them up quite cheaply. Or a late Super Major is also a lovely bit of kit.

Can't beat a Massey 135! Borrowed my mates last night to top the horse paddocks, went like a dream made a cracking job with an old votex topper and plenty fast enough on the road with the wind in your hair! They hold their money really well and spares are easy to get hold of. Tafe (I think) bought the factory and plans and still make an exact copy with a few modifications like oil immersed brakes etc

I would definately go for a tractor, something like a ferguson 35 will only go up in value if kept in good order, and also will be able to do much more than a quad. Easy to repair too if they go go wrong.

We have 10 acres where i live and i have a ferguson t20, and my dad has a ford 4600 with a tanco power loader.

I would go for something like a Ford 4600 or earlier 4000, small enough to be manouverable but big enough to tow a good size trailor, run a good size topper etc.

I'd go for a tractor,and not a modern compact type.go for a mf35 or a 65,major/dexta. The advantage of a tractor is you can put a cab on,rollbar,implements,loader,cheaper to run on red diesel,tax free,cheap insurance,easy to work on,hold there money better than a quad,more powerful and more comfortable to drive.there's probably more plus points than that.I can never understand why people spend so much money on quads,the only time I'd say a quad beats a small tractor is when going from field to field on a trailer or on very soft ground.

I agree a wee tractor would be best to start with , but dont be put of by a small 2wd quad as an extra tool say a kawasaki 250 , before 4wd we went all over the moors on these things (buy one that hasnt) £750 to £900 for a good one , handy on so many levels , but ALL the tractor parts and impliments are way cheaper and stronger , take a quad flail for instance , powered by a honda mower and belts , a good tool but you cant beat a P.T.O driven topper any machine with belts is inferior.Happy farming.

David brown 996 is what you want my ol beauty... has 550 and 1000 pto, will lift a 12ft topper no problem, they will also pull a 4 forough plough all day long, they have 2 spool valves ideal for running a log splitter, there honestly bullet proof! Believe it or not You use the same oil for the engine the hydraulics and the air filter, 995's you can pick up slightly cheaper, has the same engine, but different cab and no power steering which gets old real fast, you'll pick up a good one for 3 to 3.5k all day long, stretch to 4 and you'd get a front loader as well, and there not as steal able as a quad, mines insured fully comp for road use also, and any implement on the back for £100 a year with the NFU, I have a 7 acre small holding where I keep pigs chickens geese dexter cows a 3 year old shire horse, and a thoroughbred cross and grow veg anything your unsure of drop me a line I'd be glad to help, when you first start keeping live stock all the paper work can be a bit daunting at first...

Tractor every time.

I have a smallish Mitsubishi 4x4, kubota sized - a bit smaller than the MF 35 - really handy for pulling trailers and rotovating, cost £2500. For heavier work I have an International 684 with a quicke loader - this was an absolute bargain because they're not collectable like the Masseys. It looks like a pile of rust but works fine and came with the loader, mower, and unused front tyres for £600 - a steal.

Also with sheep if your lucky enough for them to stay alive long enough they need worming vaccinating and protecting from any thing else they happen not to like constantly and then when you are in a pen working with you they have got a good talent of standing on your toes or headbutting you for no aparent reason