Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

I was out Friday evening and Saturday morning, friday didn't go too bad with a couple of ducks in the bag, but i shot like a blind man saturday morning. What surprised me most was, the wind was blowing at about 40mph friday evening, and i was the only fowler out on the marsh. I can only put it down to the geese not being here yet, at least not in the tens of thousands. I quite enjoyed having the marsh to myself, but it seems the "we are only here for the geese" brigade have shown their true colours once again.

What if the geese don't turn up in any number? You on Kings Lynn/Fenland?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first trip out on Saturday, and one that I had been looking forward to for a while. Up at 2am to load the car and then a short drive to pick up another PW member (first time fowling) the other side of town at 2.45am and then set out up the M11 heading for deepest Norfolk.

A bit of a detour through Bury St Edmonds and Diss as the A11 was closed at Thetford, but we arrived in time at around 4.45am. Whilst driving up the weather was horrendous with a gale blowing and the rain pouring down at times, but both dropped right off as soon as we turned up, something I was quite glad of, unusually so for such good fowling weather, as I had visions of the broad being full of white horses and not being able to get out in the strong north easterly as I would have been rowing into the teeth of it.

The car was unloaded and all the kit ferried round to the boat mooring, oars gathered from the boat shed and the boat loaded up with decoy bags, guns and dog for the row out on to the broad. I hadn't rowed for some time, so it took a little time getting back into the rhythm particularly in the pitch black in unknown surroundings and a narrow'ish boat dyke. The journey out to our shooting position took about half an hour after feeling our way around the broad. Once there the 30 duck and 4 goose decoys were placed in what I hoped was an enticing layout. All that was required now was to set up the hide net and wait until shooting time to see what came our way.

As dawn broke I could hear the distant clamour of Greylag and Canadas, and I am also sure that I heard some Pinks too, but all a long way of to the east. The first ducks to show interest were four Shoveler, that made a few wide circuits, enticed by the spread below and the chatter from the call, though only once offering a shot, which would have dropped one right into a dense stand of reeds so it was not taken as it would have been a difficult, if not impossible retrieve for my boat partner's dog.

A little while later a Mallard drake responded to the call and decoys and came sailing in over a stand of reed to my left, a nice easy shot 25 yards up. Bang! miss! Bang! miss! and Graham had a couple of goes too, but sadly performed no better than I. A bit of an interlude now ensued with nothing in the air until a small party of Egyptian geese came from behind and over another gun, who dropped one out.

Thankfully the weather held, with no more rain, as there is nothing so uncomfortable as being stuck in a small open boat in a deluge.

Time for a coffee, so the gun was wedged safely behind the front thwart, flask dug out from the bucket that I had stuffed my cartridges, calls, gloves, hat and all of the other paraphernalia into. As is usual at this point, I caught out of the corner of my eye a gang of five Mallard skimming over the reeds on our right, intent on joining what they took to be a mob of their pals. Coffee hastily put down and the gun snatch from it's resting place, but they were on us and the shots were rushed, resulting in misses all round as the five beat of into the distance. The next opportunity was from a pair of Egyptians that came straight on out of the NW at a reasonable height. Bum, belly, beak, bang! and all that was to show was a solitary feather spiralling down from the heavens. That's was it for the morning flight, as we packed down the net, pulled up the mooring pole and paddled out to round up the duplicitous plastics.

The other gun that was out, came around looking for a winged duck and put his Lab into the reeds in an endeavour to find it; it was at this point that Graham's dog Oscar thought the he would join in the fun and went overboard, forgetting that his lead was tied to the boat. He then proceeded to tow us around for a few minutes until he could be dragged aboard. It's marvellous the strength these dogs have.

The trip back to the boat mooring was straight forward in the daylight and we took a direct line across the broad back to the boat dyke and so onto the mooring. With all the gear stowed back in the car and the dog fed and watered it was our turn after a short drive around the locale. We went to a nice little pub close to the mooring for a pint and a pie, at which point the early start was starting to tell, so best off getting back out into the fresh air for a livener and preparation for the evening flight. Once again the boat was loaded and the now familiar journey back out onto the broad, positioning ourselves slightly further round than our earlier haunt. Once again the plastic fantastic were given their freedom and we went back off to the reeds to hole up for the evening. It was not as eventful as the morning, although a party of Wigeon showed an interest before the hide was up and the guns out of their slips. Another boat came out and set up around 300 yards from us, and there started something of a calling competition whenever a duck or two appeared, but nothing really committed to the decoys, although the other boat had two, one of which was from a pack that I turned with the call. Later two Mallard dropped short of the decoys just as it was getting too dark to see.

All in all a very interesting outing having never shot from a boat before, with a good few duck of a number of species seen in the air if not anywhere close enough and one I shall certainly do again.

Nice report of a great time :good: , will get there one day for a flight

Next time I'll hopefully be able to join you Paul, although I might need to set 2 alarms eh Ben?

Not been out for a while now and had to call off tonight leaving my mate to enjoy an excellent flight stopping on 2 mallard and 3 teal. Seems to be a lot of teal about this year. Several lots of pinks about apparently so might sneak out under the moon family health allowing

To quote your near name sake, "I'll be back!"

Next time I'll hopefully be able to join you Paul, although I might need to set 2 alarms eh Ben?

Not been out for a while now and had to call off tonight leaving my mate to enjoy an excellent flight stopping on 2 mallard and 3 teal. Seems to be a lot of teal about this year. Several lots of pinks about apparently so might sneak out under the moon family health allowing

I don't think I'd like to paddle around in the bath tub :lol: .

Shame I can't bring my own boat, a lovely 4m Jernau Aquapeche, an exceptionally stable platform, perfect for the broads. Green too.

8zgoe8.jpg

Can't blame you, wonderful place to shoot although be wary if you get boat 5, not very stable.

Penelope , glad you had a good day even if the bag was empty. its a magic place to shoot and sometimes it all comes togeather and you can have a good shoot. I was shooting on the nearby marsh the night before and there were a few duck about. I niped down to see what the flight had been like as I noted a BASC boat had beeen out and thought it was you. Of course it was someone else. One club member got a greylag on the broad. Good luck next time.

Can't get out until Sunday as working tomorrow, decent tide in the morning topping out at 10m+ at just past 9am. Sounds just about right to get the decoys wet, hopefully there will be a few birds about to take a closer look???

If you say that Ben, you know that I will not sleep again... Lol, but don't worry , Passionforangling will sleep for the both....how lazy is that

Down the marsh in the morning, well expect it will be most of the day, with out the gun I may add going to watch the tide to see where the birds are going. ( if any lol) and getting the old boat ready for Sunday can't wait. Roll on Sunday...

Where abouts is your marsh? What sort of boat are you going afloat in? Not a punt is it ??

I had a fantastic flight this morning. Force 6-7 wind with rain equals birds. It took a while to decide where to go but I managed to hit it right. The geese started coming off the loch in dribs and drabs but mostly wide of me, my first chance was at a pair of greylags coming tail to wind going like a train, I timed it right and bagged the pair with 2 shots. Not long after the birds started coming off in bigger lumps, one group of about 80 came my way with the tail enders nicely in range, my first shot connected, second missed and the third shot took down the last in the line which fell a good 80 to 100 yards behind me, a good retrieve for the hound. Max had just come back when another lot came tail to wind only giving me time for one shot which connected and again the bird fell way behind me, another good retrieve for max. Every thing went quiet so I poured a cup of coffee, half way through the cup I had to ditch it for a single goose coming from behind, this one was easy, just hanging in the sky 30 yards up and I missed clean with 2 shots :blush:. I was not expecting to see ducks so all I had was goose shot which was a shame because a good flight of ducks started up after the geese had gone. I have a feeling I might go back there tonight for a night flight and see if the ducks will come back.

Hope those of you that were out had a good morning :good:.

Aister.

If you say that Ben, you know that I will not sleep again... Lol, but don't worry , Passionforangling will sleep for the both....how lazy is that

Hey....you two just have an early night. I'm saving all my energy for the following week!!. Good luck for tomorrow,look forward to hearing how it went.( very envious face )