Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

I went for a bang at the geese this morning with my cousin. There has been a couple of hundred geese below my house all week but this morning they decided to go else where :hmm:. A few came in for a look but most passed wide, one flock however came in close enough but flared at the last minute only giving us time for one shot each. Both shots flew true and two geese fell from the sky :good:. Shortly after that everything went quiet and we packed up and headed home for bacon rolls.

post-29954-0-88864100-1381568238_thumb.jpg

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen enough idiots with two shots and one big **** with an eight thought he could reach heaven, its the man or woman not the gun to blame for people with bad hunting ethics .The other practice of side by side fowlers having two shells in there fingers so they could load up and get another goose from the same skien this practice what you preach **** seen it for donkey years just auto get the blame from nostalgic fowlers who hark on about the old days when they shot the roosts and got as many as they could .

Funny thing muncher all the those who do goose shooting no favors up here in full view of the public are using concentrated fire from pogo sticks into packs of geese & any real fowler/gooser knows that this kindof shooting will be their down fall . Tell me muncher how do use your yours ? do you roughly aim into the middle of them & pull the trigger as fast as possible hoping you will kill some ? or do you use it properly & single out a bird ?, note some are illegally using 5 shots , YES ! I have seen that done here too by visitors & RSPB Orkney are a well aware of it .

I wish I had the filming equipment to get this ugly carry on film but Its hideously expensive & if I get it what should I do with it ? take it to BASC Scotland ? (they don't give a monkeys about bad practice tried them already ) or perhaps upload it on here or even approach BBC Country File ? . :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Well the cost of the equipment would buy another double 8 or even 2 so the cowboys are safe for the moment ? Have a nice day muncher . :)

ps I forgot to say you are correct " its the not the gun its the user who is to blame for bad practice , just seem too be a lot of them coming here all of a sudden !

pps I have no intention of shooting right in the middle of roost & I am never out to get as many as I can , just what I need .

Edited by Pole Star

I wish I had the filming equipment to get this ugly carry on film but Its hideously expensive & if I get it what should I do with it ? take it to BASC Scotland ? (they don't give a monkeys about bad practice tried them already ) or perhaps upload it on here or even approach BBC Country File ? . :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Please don't, that would be a disaster :lol:

You get bad folk with everything. The vast majority of us don't drink and drive..are you going to ban cars because of the actions of a few? Same sort of idea.

I went for a bang at the geese this morning with my cousin. There has been a couple of hundred geese below my house all week but this morning they decided to go else where :hmm:. A few came in for a look but most passed wide, one flock however came in close enough but flared at the last minute only giving us time for one shot each. Both shots flew true and two geese fell from the sky :good:. Shortly after that everything went quiet and we packed up and headed home for bacon rolls.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Beats sitting in bed with a cold :good:

attachicon.gifaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Cracking pic !

im just back from the mawddach, after a 1.45am alarm call and a 300 odd mile round trip we had naff all apart from wet feet :lol:

we where in roughly the same spot as two weeks ago when we saw tons of birds, ok some where half a mile away through the binos and not coming in but we saw loads... after five hours in the mud today all we saw was a couple of ducks when we where walking back to the car.

about a 1/4 a mile from the car park we stopped by a small hotel to get their number to check prices as were thinking of an over nighter up there to do a couple of flights and saw the esturay by the hotel full of geese, hundreds of the damn things

oh well.. back up next weekend on the dyfi

Wasn't a dig at you pole star , must of been grumpy last night I've just gone back to an auto for I love sxs and ou been using a 425 for a few years and all of a sudden it smashed my face up on woodies big style , tried it on ducks as less shots and did it again either my eyes have changed or the way I also have neck problems from an work accident so I've gone back to a berreta extreme . I normally single a back bird or side bird out not brown through the middle .ive posted some goose vids on here last year have a look if you can find them make your own mind up how I shoot . Jules

Back Thursday from a half a week in Scotland for the pinks, arrived on Thursday and went and met the two farmers who allow us to shoot, he showed us around and where he thought they was coming over so up early Monday and out for six and in place, was out all morning and I managed six and my ole man 1 so a very good start (personal limmit of 8 aday but very happy to get just one) went back after breakfast without gun and was quite content watching the geese fly back. Tuesday saw three geese hit the deck one each and one we shared, thousands of geese lifted and many many more could be shot but since they where high and we didn't have pogo sticks we left, very happy with three :) wednesday and the bad weather hit, however we wasn't detered and it was true wildfowling fowling weather, it was a true spectacle to see the numbers of geese and I ended the day with 5 and my ole man 4, some very good shots where had and a true memory that will stay with me watching my old man shoot like he did. Thursday we packed he car to come home and went out in a raging storm to end the the trip with three more fantastic birds on the deck. We went and that odd the farmer for a fantastic week and explained we was stopping till Saturday but with 22 in the bag and no use for anymore we was very very happy and indeed booked in for next year. I'm now sat at home cleaning my gun with all 22 geese plucked and preped in the freezer with one In the oven cooking away, good luck to anyone out today

Back Thursday from a half a week in Scotland for the pinks, arrived on Thursday and went and met the two farmers who allow us to shoot, he showed us around and where he thought they was coming over so up early Monday and out for six and in place, was out all morning and I managed six and my ole man 1 so a very good start (personal limmit of 8 aday but very happy to get just one) went back after breakfast without gun and was quite content watching the geese fly back. Tuesday saw three geese hit the deck one each and one we shared, thousands of geese lifted and many many more could be shot but since they where high and we didn't have pogo sticks we left, very happy with three :) wednesday and the bad weather hit, however we wasn't detered and it was true wildfowling fowling weather, it was a true spectacle to see the numbers of geese and I ended the day with 5 and my ole man 4, some very good shots where had and a true memory that will stay with me watching my old man shoot like he did. Thursday we packed he car to come home and went out in a raging storm to end the the trip with three more fantastic birds on the deck. We went and that odd the farmer for a fantastic week and explained we was stopping till Saturday but with 22 in the bag and no use for anymore we was very very happy and indeed booked in for next year. I'm now sat at home cleaning my gun with all 22 geese plucked and preped in the freezer with one In the oven cooking away, good luck to anyone out today

Where about in scotland were you?

Wasn't a dig at you pole star , must of been grumpy last night I've just gone back to an auto for I love sxs and ou been using a 425 for a few years and all of a sudden it smashed my face up on woodies big style , tried it on ducks as less shots and did it again either my eyes have changed or the way I also have neck problems from an work accident so I've gone back to a berreta extreme . I normally single a back bird or side bird out not brown through the middle .ive posted some goose vids on here last year have a look if you can find them make your own mind up how I shoot . Jules

No problem muncher , I get grumpy lots of the time ! :lol::lol::lol: well after all we are human ( well most of us ) , & yes old injuries are a real pain so its common sense to go for a lighter gun . I know plenty about old injuries & it is starting to play hell on me now & walking across muddy fields with an 8bore +amo+game bag + decoys + one wooden leg ect makes me grumpy :lol: . ATVB Pole Star

Hi widfowler325 was up in near Fraserburgh at the loch of strathbeg the two farms are outside of it, won't put up the names of farms on here with it being a public forum. I didn't want to shoot any more geese as I felt 22 was more than enough in 4 days and they have all been bought home and prepared for the pot and will all be used.

Aisters Polish goose for sure :good:

Good on you , every one here who eats their kill should try that & those that just dump em should be made too eat it , simply because it bloody good & it might stop this goose dumping :good: ATB Carl

ps can you post that recipe here aister so the lads can see it for themselves .

Edited by Pole Star

I went out for an evening flight on the marsh yesterday. I decided to go for a walk across to one of my favourite spots. There was a steady rain coming down, but I didn't let that put me off.

As I walked to my position I saw 3 mallard land in a large gutter some way off. I was already headed in that direction so I loaded up some Mammoth 4s. As I reached that gutter I readied myself. A mallard sprang up. One shot and the dog was over to collect it. The mallard I had seen drop in, got up 50 yards to my left. They got away unscathed.

When I finally reached my spot, a few more mallard jumped from a different creek. I picked out a nice, big drake. It took 2 shots to send him tumbling into the mud. Those shots put up 5 wigeon from about 300 yards away. They were heading straight for me. It looked like I would get a good chance at driven wigeon. As they got close they veered away slightly. Perhaps they had spotted the dog retrieving the mallard. They crossed at about 40 yards, giving me chance for a well aimed shot. I picked the tail bird. It came down with a great splat into the mud. The dog brought me back my first wigeon of the season - a hen.

I waited until dark, but I didn't see many more duck. No matter, I really enjoyed my little flight.

post-2090-0-20827800-1381654068_thumb.jpg

I went out for an evening flight on the marsh yesterday. I decided to go for a walk across to one of my favourite spots. There was a steady rain coming down, but I didn't let that put me off.

As I walked to my position I saw 3 mallard land in a large gutter some way off. I was already headed in that direction so I loaded up some Mammoth 4s. As I reached that gutter I readied myself. A mallard sprang up. One shot and the dog was over to collect it. The mallard I had seen drop in, got up 50 yards to my left. They got away unscathed.

When I finally reached my spot, a few more mallard jumped from a different creek. I picked out a nice, big drake. It took 2 shots to send him tumbling into the mud. Those shots put up 5 wigeon from about 300 yards away. They were heading straight for me. It looked like I would get a good chance at driven wigeon. As they got close they veered away slightly. Perhaps they had spotted the dog retrieving the mallard. They crossed at about 40 yards, giving me chance for a well aimed shot. I picked the tail bird. It came down with a great splat into the mud. The dog brought me back my first wigeon of the season - a hen.

I waited until dark, but I didn't see many more duck. No matter, I really enjoyed my little flight.

Well done...that's a great bag....hungry now

Yesterday on a Suffolk marsh just behind the river wall.

My little piece of heaven.

Merlyn waited for the action in her tattered coat. The 'coys bobbed about in the strengthening wind.

Everything was perfect until the ducks came.

Shot the first mallard and missed all the rest.

Ah well - There's always another day...

post-24191-0-71067900-1381744491_thumb.jpg

post-24191-0-19276900-1381744534_thumb.jpg

I was out Friday evening and Saturday morning, friday didn't go too bad with a couple of ducks in the bag, but i shot like a blind man saturday morning. What surprised me most was, the wind was blowing at about 40mph friday evening, and i was the only fowler out on the marsh. I can only put it down to the geese not being here yet, at least not in the tens of thousands. I quite enjoyed having the marsh to myself, but it seems the "we are only here for the geese" brigade have shown their true colours once again.

I had my first trip out on Saturday, and one that I had been looking forward to for a while. Up at 2am to load the car and then a short drive to pick up another PW member (first time fowling) the other side of town at 2.45am and then set out up the M11 heading for deepest Norfolk.

A bit of a detour through Bury St Edmonds and Diss as the A11 was closed at Thetford, but we arrived in time at around 4.45am. Whilst driving up the weather was horrendous with a gale blowing and the rain pouring down at times, but both dropped right off as soon as we turned up, something I was quite glad of, unusually so for such good fowling weather, as I had visions of the broad being full of white horses and not being able to get out in the strong north easterly as I would have been rowing into the teeth of it.

The car was unloaded and all the kit ferried round to the boat mooring, oars gathered from the boat shed and the boat loaded up with decoy bags, guns and dog for the row out on to the broad. I hadn't rowed for some time, so it took a little time getting back into the rhythm particularly in the pitch black in unknown surroundings and a narrow'ish boat dyke. The journey out to our shooting position took about half an hour after feeling our way around the broad. Once there the 30 duck and 4 goose decoys were placed in what I hoped was an enticing layout. All that was required now was to set up the hide net and wait until shooting time to see what came our way.

As dawn broke I could hear the distant clamour of Greylag and Canadas, and I am also sure that I heard some Pinks too, but all a long way of to the east. The first ducks to show interest were four Shoveler, that made a few wide circuits, enticed by the spread below and the chatter from the call, though only once offering a shot, which would have dropped one right into a dense stand of reeds so it was not taken as it would have been a difficult, if not impossible retrieve for my boat partner's dog.

A little while later a Mallard drake responded to the call and decoys and came sailing in over a stand of reed to my left, a nice easy shot 25 yards up. Bang! miss! Bang! miss! and Graham had a couple of goes too, but sadly performed no better than I. A bit of an interlude now ensued with nothing in the air until a small party of Egyptian geese came from behind and over another gun, who dropped one out.

Thankfully the weather held, with no more rain, as there is nothing so uncomfortable as being stuck in a small open boat in a deluge.

Time for a coffee, so the gun was wedged safely behind the front thwart, flask dug out from the bucket that I had stuffed my cartridges, calls, gloves, hat and all of the other paraphernalia into. As is usual at this point, I caught out of the corner of my eye a gang of five Mallard skimming over the reeds on our right, intent on joining what they took to be a mob of their pals. Coffee hastily put down and the gun snatch from it's resting place, but they were on us and the shots were rushed, resulting in misses all round as the five beat of into the distance. The next opportunity was from a pair of Egyptians that came straight on out of the NW at a reasonable height. Bum, belly, beak, bang! and all that was to show was a solitary feather spiralling down from the heavens. That's was it for the morning flight, as we packed down the net, pulled up the mooring pole and paddled out to round up the duplicitous plastics.

The other gun that was out, came around looking for a winged duck and put his Lab into the reeds in an endeavour to find it; it was at this point that Graham's dog Oscar thought the he would join in the fun and went overboard, forgetting that his lead was tied to the boat. He then proceeded to tow us around for a few minutes until he could be dragged aboard. It's marvellous the strength these dogs have.

The trip back to the boat mooring was straight forward in the daylight and we took a direct line across the broad back to the boat dyke and so onto the mooring. With all the gear stowed back in the car and the dog fed and watered it was our turn after a short drive around the locale. We went to a nice little pub close to the mooring for a pint and a pie, at which point the early start was starting to tell, so best off getting back out into the fresh air for a livener and preparation for the evening flight. Once again the boat was loaded and the now familiar journey back out onto the broad, positioning ourselves slightly further round than our earlier haunt. Once again the plastic fantastic were given their freedom and we went back off to the reeds to hole up for the evening. It was not as eventful as the morning, although a party of Wigeon showed an interest before the hide was up and the guns out of their slips. Another boat came out and set up around 300 yards from us, and there started something of a calling competition whenever a duck or two appeared, but nothing really committed to the decoys, although the other boat had two, one of which was from a pack that I turned with the call. Later two Mallard dropped short of the decoys just as it was getting too dark to see.

All in all a very interesting outing having never shot from a boat before, with a good few duck of a number of species seen in the air if not anywhere close enough and one I shall certainly do again.

Edited by Penelope