Great morning on the geese

reegy

Obviously this is the wild geese.

I believe it came about after the second world war as so many wild birds were being taken and sent to market in London. Conservation therefore demanded either bag limits, or a ban on sales - the latter was deemed fairer.

ever since canada geese have been put on the general licence it has been legal to sell them, this was to encourage people to shoot them and use the meat as they are classed as an alien species ( like the grey squirrel) . (this does not apply to other species of geese but there is talk of some areas selling greylags, ie orkneys, but not 100% sure on this.)

Edited by stubble rash

ever since canada geese have been put on the general licence it has been legal to sell them, this was to encourage people to shoot them and use the meat as they are classed as an alien species ( like the grey squirrel) . (this does not apply to other species of geese but there is talk of some areas selling greylags, ie orkneys, but not 100% sure on this.)

quote from WML-GL05

h) Birds killed or taken under this licence may be eaten, but, with the exception of the woodpigeon

(Columba palumbus), may not be sold for human consumption.

Edit: WML-GL04 is the same and WML-GL06 is similar (except it doesn't have the exception for Woodpigeon as they aren't on that licence anyway).

Edit 2: Found this in the Scottish licences... a GL to sell Greylags from the Orkny cull for licenced caterers and records of all geese sold have to be kept http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1015369.pdf

Edited by HW682

quote from WML-GL05

Edit: WML-GL04 is the same and WML-GL06 is similar (except it doesn't have the exception for Woodpigeon as they aren't on that licence anyway).

Thanks for straightening it out. I was about to do the same. Amazing how few people read the general licences, particularly when they shoot under them.

Breast them.

Dice up the meat, slow cooker with onions, spuds and carrots :drool::good:

Ahhh want some! Do people breed Canadian Geese for market then?

Its illegal to sell any goose. You can give them away - shame no-one thinks of that with Turkeys !

HA!

Obviously this is the wild geese.

I believe it came about after the second world war as so many wild birds were being taken and sent to market in London. Conservation therefore demanded either bag limits, or a ban on sales - the latter was deemed fairer.

Pardon my ignorance, I don't know much about Geese. Presumably Canada Geese are migratory? How do they keep a check on how many are being shot in comparison to their numbers?