Ducks from a nature reserve

yas

Hi,

I have permisson to shoot pigeons on a land that is next to a nature reserve, in the evenings a lot of ducks fly over the land where I shoot. I was wondering (before I speak to the farmer) is it ok to shoot those ducks & goose that fly over.

I think many wildfowling clubs have exactly this situation. Check you have the full consent of the land / sporting rights owner and use non toxic shot if in England / Wales

Titchwell springs to mind. Didn't the rspb aquire the land from the wildfowlers

And yes should imagine you would be ok.

Karpman

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have some shooting on land bordering an RSPB reserve near Tring, Hertfordshire. On one particular day I was pigeon shooting and within half an hour of me setting up, the RSPB Warden had strolled over and claimed shot was landing on the footpath bordering the reserve - even though I was shooting in literally the opposite direction to it, and the reserve was over 500 yards away from where I was set up. I gave the Warden the benefit of the doubt anyway, apologised for the disturbance but reminded him I was carrying out legal pest control on behalf of the farmer (who was combining in the next field over.) I carried on shooting, but after about half an hour I saw the warden walking over towards the combine, stopping it, having a five minute conversation with the farmer and walking back to the reserve. I then received a phone call from the farmer and was told to leave. The RSPB warden had told him I'd been shooting towards the footpath around the reserve! I told him it was ******** but he'd been interrupted and that was enough.

It still really angers me that the farmer's reaction was to boot me off - the Warden clearly lied about what I was doing, and I was I would've told him where to get off!

The worst thing about losing this permission is that I was not shooting in an unsafe way or doing anything wrong, and had permission to be there. These fields are hammered by canadas, greylags, mallard and wigeon in the winter and would've been amazing flighting, but due to the actions of one dishonest RSPB employee I lost it!

So make sure you have the farmer's permission to shoot them first - as for the RSPB, well, **** 'em.

I would disagree they do a important protecting wildlife.

I don't doubt that. They also do a good job of undermining safe and legal shooting, as they did with me.

My point was that it's perfectly fine to shoot next to one of their reserves - just make sure the landowner is firmly on your side!

I don't doubt that. They also do a good job of undermining safe and legal shooting, as they did with me.

My point was that it's perfectly fine to shoot next to one of their reserves - just make sure the landowner is firmly on your side!

It's hardly surprising if someone is shooting birds going into one of their reserves they might not be happy with that, even if its done legally.

I have a similar scenario with one of my permissions. Virtually all of the land can be seen from the 'birdwatching' hides sited on an adjacent N/R, though I'm doing nothing wrong, knowing that there's probably at least one pair of binochs trained on my every move makes me feel very self-concious and certainly takes the 'edge' of a day spent shooting there!

Regards Remmyman

It's hardly surprising if someone is shooting birds going into one of their reserves they might not be happy with that, even if its done legally.

If it was a case of slaughtering hundreds of duck I could understand, otherwise I don't agree. The birds do not belong to the RSPB and they have no grounds for complaint.

I would disagree they do a important protecting wildlife.

******** only when it suits them or their own agenda.

Plenty about them having licences issued to controll other birds from eating eggs and chicks of species they like.

Totally biased organisation that should stick to its charter.

Figgy

Update....

Spoke to the farmer and he said that he does not want me to shoot duck. The reason being is the nature reserve have already started to complain and have gone to the extent of getting the police involved. According to them I have been shooting protected species. Any how, the farmer trusts me and to told them to politely to P**S off! But he doesn't want to escalate the situation even though he understands that it is not illigal. I Don't blame him, I would've loved to have been able to shoot duck but the fact that he took my side and never even questioned me on the subject meant a lot more.

I don't understand why birdwatchers would have such a big problem with people of our disposition, because at the end of the day we are both watching birds, the only difference is they use a pencil to mark their scores. LOL.

Edited by yas

Update....

Spoke to the farmer and he said that he does not want me to shoot duck. The reason being is the nature reserve have already started to complain and have gone to the extent of getting the police involved. According to them I have been shooting protected species. Any how, the farmer trusts me and to told them to politely to P**S off! But he doesn't want to escalate the situation even though he understands that it is not illigal. I Don't blame him, I would've loved to have been able to shoot duck but the fact that he took my side and never even questioned me on the subject meant a lot more.

I don't understand why birdwatchers would have such a big problem with people of our disposition, because at the end of the day we are both watching birds, the only difference is they use a pencil to mark their scores. LOL.

Glad the outcome wasn't to bad for ya mate, Not all bird watchers are antis tree huggers pal.

Karpman

Guest cookoff013

Update....

? i`m sure they say that all the time.