L200 Dog box arrangements

Longy0710

Gents

I am picking my new l200 up in october and would like the back kitted out with drawers and cages for the dogs. Question is who do you guys recommend. I have looked at the CAB stuff which looks good. Could anyone pop a picture of there Setups on here and give me a quick review?

Thanks in advance guys

longy

Yes I really would like to do away with a box, but having seen some of the damage done to the inside of the pick ups by bored dogs whilst awaiting their turn to work (I've never given mine the opportunity to know if mine would do this), I like the security of the dogs (5 in my case) in a box and this also means they don't get to gnaw on anything in the back, like pheasants, guns, the back end itself, etc.! I really would like to see/hear any suggestions for best set ups from others on the forum - does anyone have what they consider the best of all worlds??

Yes I really would like to do away with a box, but having seen some of the damage done to the inside of the pick ups by bored dogs whilst awaiting their turn to work (I've never given mine the opportunity to know if mine would do this), I like the security of the dogs (5 in my case) in a box and this also means they don't get to gnaw on anything in the back, like pheasants, guns, the back end itself, etc.! I really would like to see/hear any suggestions for best set ups from others on the forum - does anyone have what they consider the best of all worlds?

get a well trained dog that wont chew :good: just like mine :yes:

What still not a single picture of any box arrangements - lot of modest folks on here :no: !!

With regards to mine chewing - they've never been given the opportunity to chew so I don't know if they would! But I've seen other people's damaged hard tops, where edges and lining etc. have been trashed by a couple of dogs left for an hour or two whilst waiting their turns to work. And hard tops don't come cheap.

So still interested in other ideas/pictures/suggestions on behalf of myself and Longh0710.

Cheers

For me i think an awful lot of wasted space in the back of a pick up if dogs got the whole lot, and no good for me.

I'll take a photo off mine, (if i can figure out how to put it up)

Mines is very ruff and ready built from scraps lying about and the similar setup that came out off last pick up. Seen sone very good custom built professional jobs thou, not sure who built them, but they look mega dear

I basically fit a bit of heavy duty exterior ply across the wheel arches with supports underneth, and have a hinged vertical bit off ply that can be folded flat if u need more load space. I also lined the fibreglass canopy with kingspan insulation and timber.

Means i have 2 halfs so i can take dogs and tools in safety away from each other. Or other peoples dogs with out any bother

I also have 2 big compartments full length and 2 smaller to wheel arches below for storage, really handy for waterproofs, game bags, training gear, and beating stcks. I can slide guns/rifles in long ones and lock the tailgate (fitted a padlock on it on the inside) so pretty safe and don't bother to lock the glass section (as firearms out off sight and pretty akward to get at padlock) if they open glass they can see no value there, saves them smashing it to see no value there

Amlost ideal for wot i need althou it looks ruff, and there is some good custom built ones very similar with proper sliding locking drawers, real dogs danglies

For me i think an awful lot of wasted space in the back of a pick up if dogs got the whole lot, and no good for me.

I'll take a photo off mine, (if i can figure out how to put it up)

Mines is very ruff and ready built from scraps lying about and the similar setup that came out off last pick up. Seen sone very good custom built professional jobs thou, not sure who built them, but they look mega dear

I basically fit a bit of heavy duty exterior ply across the wheel arches with supports underneth, and have a hinged vertical bit off ply that can be folded flat if u need more load space. I also lined the fibreglass canopy with kingspan insulation and timber.

Means i have 2 halfs so i can take dogs and tools in safety away from each other. Or other peoples dogs with out any bother

I also have 2 big compartments full length and 2 smaller to wheel arches below for storage, really handy for waterproofs, game bags, training gear, and beating stcks. I can slide guns/rifles in long ones and lock the tailgate (fitted a padlock on it on the inside) so pretty safe and don't bother to lock the glass section (as firearms out off sight and pretty akward to get at padlock) if they open glass they can see no value there, saves them smashing it to see no value there

Amlost ideal for wot i need althou it looks ruff, and there is some good custom built ones very similar with proper sliding locking drawers, real dogs danglies

Cheers Scotsland

Sounds good - not worried about how posh it is, so longs as it works! I seen some of the posh fitted ones that are over a grand, and as I've already got a box and a cage it's trying to best fit them in and still have some spare room for other bits and pieces. Here's hoping you can get a photo up. If you get really stuck, I can PM you my email to send a picture.

It all depends on wot else u use ur pick up for, possibly just put ur dog box in and use the space around it for storage, i was running a scrapper 2 wd drive pick up for work and just chucked a dog crate in and bit of ply on sides and had tools in the other side of the back.and waterproofs on shelf above

Just been on the grouse the day and 1 keeper was away with his spaniels in the back of pick up no top/cover and he's got 30 odd mile to go on back roads, once a guncome to my shoot traveled over 60ish mile trip mostly motorway with his 2 labs on back of a 7.5 t builders wagon just the same no cover or anything it was a bl**dy wet miserable day to and they had to go back like that not fair on them after working all day, and to make matters worse his cab was a pig sty anyway

Both set ups worked well for me (althou could only really get 1/2 dogs in my scrapper crate) and wot i need the pick up to do but different for everyone, just got oto adapt it for urself

Scotslad

Yes I accept everyone has different needs, but just sometimes someone cracks it for all of us. I have considered a box in the back without the top on - would be great but I don't think it's fair on the dogs, I only do 30 miles each way (mostly motorway though) to the shoots I work on, but it's far enough on a miserable day after the dogs have given their all! I agree with what you say about what works for me, but I'd really like to see a picture of yours to see if I can adapt anything you've done. My main problem, is with the box in I lose most of the space and can't get much else in apart from odds and ends, for anything worthwhile like bags of feed etc. the box has to come out, it's heavy and a pain!!

That's why I'm asking the questions (as is Longh0710) - to get ideas of other members experiment's - and learn from other people experiences!!

Cheers

It all depends on wot else u use ur pick up for, possibly just put ur dog box in and use the space around it for storage, i was running a scrapper 2 wd drive pick up for work and just chucked a dog crate in and bit of ply on sides and had tools in the other side of the back.and waterproofs on shelf above

Just been on the grouse the day and 1 keeper was away with his spaniels in the back of pick up no top/cover and he's got 30 odd mile to go on back roads, once a guncome to my shoot traveled over 60ish mile trip mostly motorway with his 2 labs on back of a 7.5 t builders wagon just the same no cover or anything it was a bl**dy wet miserable day to and they had to go back like that not fair on them after working all day, and to make matters worse his cab was a pig sty anyway

Both set ups worked well for me (althou could only really get 1/2 dogs in my scrapper crate) and wot i need the pick up to do but different for everyone, just got oto adapt it for urself

They have been known to nick people for carrying an insecure load for having dogs loose in the back. I do it round the shoot at times but wouldn't chance it for long on roads

Here goes no idea if this will work... It won't

Brixsmax if u pm m ur email i'lll try and send u the photos and ur welcome to post them if u want. Cheers (or if anyone can tell me how u do it)

I know a few folk who have a decent metal dog box on the back with no canopy, 1 in paticular travels the length off the country working and trailling his dogs. If u were worried about drafts in the vents holes i'm sure u could bodge something up with either timber (bit ruff) or with some metal flaps riveted on cattle wagon style.

There was also i keeper i used to know had this stupid timber 'rabbit hutch' on the back of his pick up for his dogs, it didn't even fit it right and used to sit lopsided on 1 wheel arch but not the other, he must off found it somewhere :whistling: , he had it next to cab and loaded back up with wheat

If i was putting a lot off feed out or carrying heavy gear, i probably wouldn't bother with a canopy and use the above set up with a box that fitted well

Being honest my setup would be a bit of a pain if putting a lot of feed out, all my feed goes in trailer and then on bike rarely use pick up for feeding

Here goes no idea if this will work... It won't

Brixsmax if u pm m ur email i'lll try and send u the photos and ur welcome to post them if u want. Cheers (or if anyone can tell me how u do it)

I know a few folk who have a decent metal dog box on the back with no canopy, 1 in paticular travels the length off the country working and trailling his dogs. If u were worried about drafts in the vents holes i'm sure u could bodge something up with either timber (bit ruff) or with some metal flaps riveted on cattle wagon style.

There was also i keeper i used to know had this stupid timber 'rabbit hutch' on the back of his pick up for his dogs, it didn't even fit it right and used to sit lopsided on 1 wheel arch but not the other, he must off found it somewhere :whistling: , he had it next to cab and loaded back up with wheat

If i was putting a lot off feed out or carrying heavy gear, i probably wouldn't bother with a canopy and use the above set up with a box that fitted well

Being honest my setup would be a bit of a pain if putting a lot of feed out, all my feed goes in trailer and then on bike rarely use pick up for feeding

Scotslad

PM sent

Cheers

Cheers Brixs, u done better than me! i had no idea how to put the photos on. I tried for about 10 mins but just gave up. Embarrasing when like u say a 5 yr old would do it in seconds.

Bit ruff and ready (infact looks a lot ruffer in photos than it does in real life :whistling: ) but works for me, can get waterproofs,game bags, beating sticks plus loads of odd and sod's stored away in the cubby holes or boxes without dogs on top of them. As well as sliding rifles/guns up and can lock that wee combination sneck thingy so tailgate can't be opened

1 door is hinged and lifts off as hung with rising butt hinges, the middle section can then fold flat, the other door just lifts in and out (could never figure out a decent way to hang it without narrowing the space by putting a vertical in) when tailgate is up and locked dog boxes can't open either

Think only cost a new sheet off ply and everything else was salvaged and adapted from the similar setup that was in my navara before, probably had a set up like that for 6 or so yers now and suits me fine. Seen a few similar setups that are custom made and look really good with proper locking sliding drawers and stuf.

I would say if i was loading/handling a lot of feed it would probably be a pain but to be fair the canopy is the biggest pain when loading feed in.

If u already have a external dog box mibee make an easier way of lifting it on and off quickly? Rigging up a simple pulley system (over a tree branch/joist etc) reverse pick up to it attach box lift it and tie it off, drive away, would take minutes with no heavy akward lifting

Cheers Brixs, u done better than me! i had no idea how to put the photos on. I tried for about 10 mins but just gave up. Embarrasing when like u say a 5 yr old would do it in seconds.

Bit ruff and ready (infact looks a lot ruffer in photos than it does in real life :whistling: ) but works for me, can get waterproofs,game bags, beating sticks plus loads of odd and sod's stored away in the cubby holes or boxes without dogs on top of them. As well as sliding rifles/guns up and can lock that wee combination sneck thingy so tailgate can't be opened

1 door is hinged and lifts off as hung with rising butt hinges, the middle section can then fold flat, the other door just lifts in and out (could never figure out a decent way to hang it without narrowing the space by putting a vertical in) when tailgate is up and locked dog boxes can't open either

Think only cost a new sheet off ply and everything else was salvaged and adapted from the similar setup that was in my navara before, probably had a set up like that for 6 or so yers now and suits me fine. Seen a few similar setups that are custom made and look really good with proper locking sliding drawers and stuf.

I would say if i was loading/handling a lot of feed it would probably be a pain but to be fair the canopy is the biggest pain when loading feed in.

If u already have a external dog box mibee make an easier way of lifting it on and off quickly? Rigging up a simple pulley system (over a tree branch/joist etc) reverse pick up to it attach box lift it and tie it off, drive away, would take minutes with no heavy akward lifting

Scotslad

Many, many thanks for all the useful info - I'm sure I can do something with your ideas. The combination bolt is interesting - haven't seen one of those before!

I don't think I need to go down the pulley route, I don't want to have to take the top off if I can avoid it, just make the best use of the space that is there!

Cheers and thanks again.