CHEAP REMINGTONS!

cal 7888

As someone who has recently joined the gun trade I'm quite pleased that Edgars have lost the Remington brand and would like to think that they will be dumped by other brands in the future...

I was messed about no end in an effort to establish a trade account, after several months of messing about I was told to do one.

I spoke with SMK yesterday. The catalogues and prices etc. will be ready for the Tackle and Gun show (TRADE) in October.

I'm looking forward to stocking some Remington products, especially the HMR ammunition.

I'll enquire about potential warranty issues and report back on PW.

webber

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has recently joined the gun trade I'm quite pleased that Edgars have lost the Remington brand and would like to think that they will be dumped by other brands in the future...

I was messed about no end in an effort to establish a trade account, after several months of messing about I was told to do one.

I spoke with SMK yesterday. The catalogues and prices etc. will be ready for the Tackle and Gun show (TRADE) in October.

I'm looking forward to stocking some Remington products, especially the HMR ammunition.

I'll enquire about potential warranty issues and report back on PW.

webber

This is a massive issue within the UK trade and directly effects retail prices. they might say it protects the dealers but speak to them and they have no end of gripes yet are stuck with them - if they get an account! The biggest dealer today in my area had to get their stuff through another dealer for years, until they became bigger than that dealer (the other dealer made a bit on a lot).

The customer gets NOTHING from a distributer, I needed an ejector spring that they point blank refused to send direct and would only supply through an account holder. They charged that dealer £7 for a spring that cost pennies and bore no restrictions on sale in law, now if I had phoned for other machine parts like that direct they would have been sent direct and often for free. The darn gun was also under warranty to boot.

SMK is known in airguns and Remington are keen on this market, Remington want to sell more guns and the UK is prime for that IF they can reduce the price as they have risen beyond their value. Whatever Edgars made can be removed and the Volume of throughput will make Remington more through economies of scale. OK they wont drop them really low (indeed sales might suffer on quality perception if they did) but I predict Remington will wish to take on the other competing brands on pricing- a distributer won't rock that apple cart. Remington 700's are cheap guns to make, they do not operate in the sector they have been placed currently

Why can't we pay similar prices for Remington guns over here...........They are well affordable in the U.S...........they are somewhat over priced here IMHO.

Remington make good guns.........they could take a much bigger slice of the U>K market if they would just ease up on the wallet a tad !!! :ninja:

Your warranty should be fine its with Remington not Edgar Bros.

The Versamax should be competing with the Winchester SX3 and Brownings Maxus, Benelli are not much more than a Browning in price. Remington have gone for Beretta in price so no wonder there not selling many.

The cheaper semis is where the sales are, hopefully they will sell them at a realistic price now.

Figgy

Well I got the versa max for £699 new at midland so not a bad deal, just thinking though if something was to go wrong with the gun who do I send it to or contact in the UK? SMK?

Well I got the versa max for £699 new at midland so not a bad deal, just thinking though if something was to go wrong with the gun who do I send it to or contact in the UK? SMK?

I contacted SMK to seek clarification. They are going to email me a reply. I'll post on PW when I have the answer.

webber

Lands guns at the fair had the synthetic stock 1100 for 699. They said they bought 50 to sell so got a discount!

I tried shouldering one but found I couldn't reach the trigger well, they said not to change the stock length or my face would be too forward on the stock.

Result- gun left in rack.

Legally it's with the selling dealer and no one else......

Correct, it is for them to then chase their supplier. It hasn't really worked this way for dealers in the past but the buck does stop with you as a dealer even if your supplier goes bump etc. you must by law give the same terms

Just to give everyone the heads up there will be majorly discounted prices on Remingtons, due to Edgar Brothers loosing the distributorship this week!

if you want one get on the phone to your local shop!!

Still a bit confused. Just where is the basis for the assertion that major discounts will be available?

Correct, it is for them to then chase their supplier. It hasn't really worked this way for dealers in the past but the buck does stop with you as a dealer even if your supplier goes bump etc. you must by law give the same terms

Interesting, not that I'm expecting the gun to break or anything. Just as a piece of mind I know I've got something to fall back on if the gun does happen completely shut down

Legally it's with the selling dealer and no one else......

This is an interesting one. Yes, in the normal course of events the retailer is liable for the product. However, the stuff which Edgars distributes is heavily marketed as being supplied with their 3 year guarantee.

I think that it could be very convincingly argued that Edgars has contracted with the purchaser to take on the retailers libility to carry out repairs.

J.

So, are we saying importing Remington with sole distribution rights is a license to print money? No surely. :rolleyes:

There is a case that any RFD will be looking to shift stock at a discount and there ought to be a few bargains on offer. But where to you go to for repairs and parts? Hopefully Remington have negotiated and agreed this with their new supplier? It would be nice if they informed customers.

So, are we saying importing Remington with sole distribution rights is a license to print money? No surely. :rolleyes:

There is a case that any RFD will be looking to shift stock at a discount and there ought to be a few bargains on offer. But where to you go to for repairs and parts? Hopefully Remington have negotiated and agreed this with their new supplier? It would be nice if they informed customers.

Remington OWNS the new supplier.

Why would RFD's discount current stock?

J.

Still a bit confused. Just where is the basis for the assertion that major discounts will be available?

becase all of the cost prices have been discounted to out the stock, if you speak to your dealer and ask for what you want, he will make the same as he usually does or he might put abit more on due to the discount from edgars!

or he could be a complete **** and not give you any discount from a usual retail price and make around 150%! LOL

becase all of the cost prices have been discounted to out the stock, if you speak to your dealer and ask for what you want, he will make the same as he usually does or he might put abit more on due to the discount from edgars!

or he could be a complete **** and not give you any discount from a usual retail price and make around 150%! LOL

Total fantasy. There are not massive discounts available from Edgars. I suspect that they have next to nothing in stock anyway and aren't getting any more. I know for a fact that they have no Marlins (which is also going to SMK as they are owned by the company which owns Remington) and haven't had any for months as Marlin is producing utter rubbish these days.

J.

This is an interesting one. Yes, in the normal course of events the retailer is liable for the product. However, the stuff which Edgars distributes is heavily marketed as being supplied with their 3 year guarantee.

I think that it could be very convincingly argued that Edgars has contracted with the purchaser to take on the retailers libility to carry out repairs.

J.

In a court of Law you will need sue the dealer (regardless if you feel he is at any fault), he must then sue the distributer. If the distributer cannot help due to insolvency etc its tough on the dealer. The distributer has no contract with the end buyer, you can ague this many ways but there has been no legal exchange between the two. The distributer must then in turn sue his supplier "the manufacturer generally" (this all assumes it cannot be sorted without legal recourse)

anything from 20 - 50% which is ALOT on a gun! whether the dealer will transfer this discount onto the customer, who knows??

Where are you getting these figures from?

???

In a court of Law you will need sue the dealer (regardless if you feel he is at any fault), he must then sue the distributer. If the distributer cannot help due to insolvency etc its tough on the dealer. The distributer has no contract with the end buyer, you can ague this many ways but there has been no legal exchange between the two. The distributer must then in turn sue his supplier "the manufacturer generally" (this all assumes it cannot be sorted without legal recourse)

Like I say, in the normal course of events that is true but we are delaing with an unusual situation here. Edgars heavily promotes it's in-house warranty in the shooting press and each gun of theirs which is sold has a tag on it relating to the warranty and comes with extensive warranty documentation. It's even hand filled out by Edgars before it leaves them.

Given the above, I think that it's not too difficult to argue that the purchaser may have contracted with Edgars over the warranty. Not saying that it would be the case but it is at least a reasonable argument to put forward.

To say that the warranty offered by Edgars offers them no benefit is not an argument that you would get very far with, I think. If we start from the position that it does provide them with a benefit then it would seem that there has been some form of legal exchange between them and the purchaser.

J

Gents

I have spoken with SMK a few minutes ago.

Edgar Brothers will be responsible for warranty work on any Remington product supplied by them.

However no customer will be disadvantaged in the event of difficulty in obtaining satisfaction.

Personally I have no love for Edgar Brothers and the way that they conduct their business, but I do feel that they will do the right thing when it comes to any potential warranty issues.

webber

Total fantasy. There are not massive discounts available from Edgars. I suspect that they have next to nothing in stock anyway and aren't getting any more. I know for a fact that they have no Marlins (which is also going to SMK as they are owned by the company which owns Remington) and haven't had any for months as Marlin is producing utter rubbish these days.

J.

admitedly they have no numbers of stock! but yes there are big discounts i have seen the clear out cost price lists, i dont think you have!

Gents

I have spoken with SMK a few minutes ago.

Edgar Brothers will be responsible for warranty work on any Remington product supplied by them.

However no customer will be disadvantaged in the event of difficulty in obtaining satisfaction.

Personally I have no love for Edgar Brothers and the way that they conduct their business, but I do feel that they will do the right thing when it comes to any potential warranty issues.

webber

no as of the 5th of october ALL remington repairs will be carried out by the new distributor (SMK)

its all been said in their press release!

???

what do you mean ??? ??

admitedly they have no numbers of stock! but yes there are big discounts i have seen the clear out cost price lists, i dont think you have!

no as of the 5th of october ALL remington repairs will be carried out by the new distributor (SMK)

what do you mean ?????

In this type of situation, when asked where I get figures from, I own up and say I stuck my finger in the air and when it came down it said 50%.

Whose clear out cost price lists have been seen? I appreciate that most posters have not seen them.

As a heads up, it leaves a lot to be desired. If it works out that you can buy a Remmy for 50% discount - I will confess to being wrong.

If there are no massive discounts - why the heads up?

Like i said from the edgars close out list...

In this type of situation, when asked where I get figures from, I own up and say I stuck my finger in the air and when it came down it said 50%.

Whose clear out cost price lists have been seen? I appreciate that most posters have not seen them.

As a heads up, it leaves a lot to be desired. If it works out that you can buy a Remmy for 50% discount - I will confess to being wrong.

If there are no massive discounts - why the heads up?

okay okay maybe not 50% but i have just had a look through just the rifle list and worked it out, the biggest discount is 47%!

if your not going to split hairs then, confess away! :)

what do you mean ??? ??

The press release has been taken down off the internet.

webber