Does training dogs to the gun change them

pigeon-hunter

I am awaiting the arrival of my new best friend a black lab pup.

I want to train the dog to the gun, and my wife asked a great question that I didn't know the answer too.

"If you send the dog gun training does it change his personality"

My answer I'm not sure but I know a place where I can get a answer.

Enter my felow members (lol that's you lot).

Thanks in advance

It also makes them much easier to live with, the In laws have 2 pet cockers, who on walks and around the house are frankly a pain in the ar2e. I have got 2 springers and a cocker who all work to the whistle, stay reasonably close on walks and dont climb all over people or the furniture and understand no, wait and leave. And as pontbeck said they love their job and will happily settle down once they have been for a walk or out working

Or buy some good books/dvds and train it your self, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a dog you have trained coming back with its first strong runner, that it had to work hard to find and bringing it perfectly to hand! Yes you might make mistakes but everyone does with their first dog and there will plenty of people willing to help who will want you to suceed!

Or buy some good books/dvds and train it your self, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a dog you have trained coming back with its first strong runner, that it had to work hard to find and bringing it perfectly to hand! Yes you might make mistakes but everyone does with their first dog and there will plenty of people willing to help who will want you to suceed!

Yes, it's far more rewarding, I'd just add that if you can find somebody that actually knows what they're doing to give you hand, all the better.

+1 :good:

Scratch 1 more!

This is something of a nature v nurture debate. The answer is yes and no of course, you wont adversely effect its temperament by training it correctly if that's what she is asking and you will positively have a more handleable dog every day ( the biggest part being obedience after all). I 100% believe dogs need a purpose and a working bred dog that purpose should give it an outlet for that which has been built in genetically.

Beast the heck out of a dog during training and you will either make it over submissive or a case hardened crack pot, so take care with your technique for achieving the final goal

i am currently training my first ever gundog a sprocker, i have had 2 pet spaniels previously neither of which where very controllable or obedient through their lives and i can with out doubt 100% my 11 month old sprocker is the best trained dog i have ever owned and i am really proud of him and hope fully one day he will be well enough trained to join me in the field i know his training is going to take longer than normal as i work away offshore so i can't constantly train him my wife is attending classes with him but she will be the first to tell you he is a heck of a lot sharper and more responsive for me thats not to say she can't handle him he will quarter and stop on the whistle for her and she gives him a couple of retrieves a week and he is delivering them to her hand :)