FAC .20

chrisjpainter

I'm looking for people's thoughts about the value of .20 for FAC. I'm thinking of getting a new gun at the end of the month (anyone guess what?? :P ). As there's not much point in a .177 FAC, I was thinking of sub 12 .20, so if I did go down the FAC route at a later date, I could keep the same gun and just get it upgraded.

What energy/range/accuracy do people get with .20 FAC?

thanks!

I have all 3 calibres,22 and 20 being my preferred hunting tools tho 177 fac kills too.all about shot placement... 20 runs sweet about 26/28 ft lbs.[/quote
I have all 3 calibres,22 and 20 being my preferred hunting tools tho 177 fac kills too.all about shot placement... 20 runs sweet about 26/28 ft lbs.

True .20 is probably the best calibre to buy at 12 ft lb with a power upgrade in mind for later. .20 performs well at 12 ft lb, better than .22 IMO and also is really good at 26/28 ft lb as tweedledee rightly says.

A mate of mine has a FAC .20 and it is a lovely rifle and accurate!

How ever along side my .22 30ftlb huntsman his .20 gets beat when it comes to impact shock/ put down power and penetration !

I would have my .22 FAC over a .20 FAC every day of the week.

Stick with the proven .22 would be my vote !

A mate of mine has a FAC .20 and it is a lovely rifle and accurate!

How ever along side my .22 30ftlb huntsman his .20 gets beat when it comes to impact shock/ put down power and penetration !

I would have my .22 FAC over a .20 FAC every day of the week.

Stick with the proven .22 would be my vote !

The trouble is, I am really not a fan of .22 at Sub 12. In real world conditions, at real world ranges, I just don't like the loopy trajectory, especially as I'm so used to .177. If I knew for sure that I'd be going to bother with FAC, then I wouldn't think twice about getting a .22, but I'm just trying to cover both bases with as little outlay as possible!

The trouble is, I am really not a fan of .22 at Sub 12. In real world conditions, at real world ranges, I just don't like the loopy trajectory, especially as I'm so used to .177. If I knew for sure that I'd be going to bother with FAC, then I wouldn't think twice about getting a .22, but I'm just trying to cover both bases with as little outlay as possible!

But Chris your going to have to learn a new set of aim points anyway so what does it matter ?

.22 is more than capable of taking quarry to 50/55 yards just like the .177 if you do your bit. Si Pitaway proves this in most of his videos as he almost exclusivley uses .22 for target and hunting and he is shooting out to some good ranges.

I have FAC air in .22, if I ever had to give up my FAC then I would just get the rifle turned down to sub 12ftlb and use it like this. Before folk say that cant be done, it can and ive seen it done. A mate had his Ripley .177 FAC turned down off FAC power and with a covering letter from Ripley the police removed it from his FAC, he now uses it at sub 12ftlb level without any problem and it increased the rifles value also.

ATB

Matt

But Chris your going to have to learn a new set of aim points anyway so what does it matter ?

.22 is more than capable of taking quarry to 50/55 yards just like the .177 if you do your bit. Si Pitaway proves this in most of his videos as he almost exclusivley uses .22 for target and hunting and he is shooting out to some good ranges.

I have FAC air in .22, if I ever had to give up my FAC then I would just get the rifle turned down to sub 12ftlb and use it like this. Before folk say that cant be done, it can and ive seen it done. A mate had his Ripley .177 FAC turned down off FAC power and with a covering letter from Ripley the police removed it from his FAC, he now uses it at sub 12ftlb level without any problem and it increased the rifles value also.

ATB

Matt

Yeah, it was to be a compromise for the flatter trajectory that's all. You're right, I could just relearn all the aim points for a .22, it's just that that process would be easier for .20 as there's less loop, and it'd upgrade to an FAC better than .177.

As it turns out, it's a moot point anyway - I've just been on the phone to Daystate and they have NO plans to release a.20 Wolverine any time soon :(

I have to remember my aim points on my .177 sub 12ftlb, my FAC .22 30ftlb and my HMR untill i sold it. So 2 isnt so bad and am sure there are others out there with far more to remember.

Just work out what range each mil dot is on 5 x and 10x and make some cards to remind you.

I did this and put the 10x mag promt card on the front scope filp up and the 5x on the back flip up (cut circularly to match the flip up there were on.

I just have my flip ups open outwards rather than upwards and it only takes a glance at the promt card once the quarry is lasered.

ATB

Matt

I have to remember my aim points on my .177 sub 12ftlb, my FAC .22 30ftlb and my HMR untill i sold it. So 2 isnt so bad and am sure there are others out there with far more to remember.

Just work out what range each mil dot is on 5 x and 10x and make some cards to remind you.

I did this and put the 10x mag promt card on the front scope filp up and the 5x on the back flip up (cut circularly to match the flip up there were on.

I just have my flip ups open outwards rather than upwards and it only takes a glance at the promt card once the quarry is lasered.

ATB

Matt

Yeah, in an ideal world I'd happily own .177 and .22 FAC, plus possibly a rimmie as well. But I'm only really happy to afford 1 rifle at the moment, and .20 would have been a better compromise. for both sides of the 12ft/lb limit.

Theoben used to do a .20 in FAC and it was one of the best you could get. Never shot a .20 as I always used to shoot .177 PCP but since getting a Springer .22 I am being lured to the dark side. Have to say the knock down power of the .22 is amazing compared to the over penetration of the .177.... maybe .20 is the answer.....

Theoben used to do a .20 in FAC and it was one of the best you could get. Never shot a .20 as I always used to shoot .177 PCP but since getting a Springer .22 I am being lured to the dark side. Have to say the knock down power of the .22 is amazing compared to the over penetration of the .177.... maybe .20 is the answer.....

I used to have one , it was bang on accurate , pellets are more expensive and I didn't see any difference between 22 and 20 for stopping power, it was an awesome bit of kit very flat shooting,

Ps , just get a rim fire, no messing around with air fills, cheaper to buy and you have all the stopping power you need, just my opinion , I did this years ago and would never buy another fac rifle to me there is no point , but they do have there uses,

Atb

Flynny

haha tempting, but as I don't have FAC yet, it's not really possible - yet.

haha tempting, but as I don't have FAC yet, it's not really possible - yet.

your welcome to have a few shots if you want to see how they go...i dont think your far away from abingdon...

Kent, do you mean .22 FAC-air, or .22lr?

Kent, do you mean .22 FAC-air, or .22lr?

.22 fac air. .20 is a pain in the Butt to feed! Trajectory is dictated by velocity just run the .22 faster (which it will do/ take better than a lighter .20). there is actually a good case to be made for the .25 but again ammo availability is lacking.

Edited by kent

.22 fac air. .20 is a pain in the Butt to feed! Trajectory is dictated by velocity just run the .22 faster (which it will do/ take better than a lighter .20). there is actually a good case to be made for the .25 but again ammo availability is lacking.

Yeah, I think given the fact that I'm almost certain I'll be getting a sub 12 .177, if I go to FAC air, A .25 as well might be a worthwhile option, especially with the 40ft/lb + guns.

Why mess about?-buy your Wolverine and then, most likely for less than the cost of upgrading and registering it, you can buy a second hand .22lr Brno and enjoy shooting out to 100 yards or more with more than enough accuracy, greater knock down power and quieter-no brainer surely?

Edited by bruno22rf