Oh the Yanks are at it again...

It depends, not all anti's are as fervently bombastic about the killing for fun bit, some are anti class some anti killing some are plain misinformed. There are examples of anti's coming round to accepting the overall picture once they are shown how the whole package works. The point here is that there are certain types of killing that repulse hunters and shooters themselves.

Game shooting is one where the means justify the end ( I know it's the other way round usually ), tower shoots as we have witnessed are an end in themselves which have bypassed the initial journey.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no doubt they'll see the difference, but if you believe it will alter the fact that they will still regard what you do as killing for 'sport' then frankly you're deluded.

Spot-on!

It seems to me there are two discussions here, firstly the morality of killing anything for entertainment and secondly which is morally better, this US thing or a drive shoot.

With regards the first; any anti would see both activities as equally wrong because they both involve killing for enjoyment. Simple. They would have a completely equal view of bullfighting, fox hunting and competition spear fishing too. "Hurting animals for fun is wrong whichever way you do it", would be my mum's view (the old meat-eating hypocrite anti bless 'er)!

The second discussion should lead any "open-minded" anti to say that the UK driven shoot is less cruel as the bird is less stressed throughout. They should be able to rank any "blood sport" in order of cruelty and say A is better than B but that they're both wrong.

In my view the end result is the same (dead birds for enjoyment) so as a guy who supports game shoots I would be a hypocrite to point the finger too harshly at these Americans.

Spot-on!

It seems to me there are two discussions here, firstly the morality of killing anything for entertainment and secondly which is morally better, this US thing or a drive shoot.

With regards the first; any anti would see both activities as equally wrong because they both involve killing for enjoyment. Simple. They would have a completely equal view of bullfighting, fox hunting and competition spear fishing too. "Hurting animals for fun is wrong whichever way you do it", would be my mum's view (the old meat-eating hypocrite anti bless 'er)!

The second discussion should lead any "open-minded" anti to say that the UK driven shoot is less cruel as the bird is less stressed throughout. They should be able to rank any "blood sport" in order of cruelty and say A is better than B but that they're both wrong.

In my view the end result is the same (dead birds for enjoyment) so as a guy who supports game shoots I would be a hypocrite to point the finger too harshly at these Americans.

Can't argue with any of that. Good post.

Well you breed and grow trout (usually rainbow a non native species) then when they are a good size put them in a loch or pond and fish them out again to kill and eat.

The normal methods of catching fish on their journey from egg to plate, whether it be commercially or recreationally are by line and/or net... so, there is no change there. in fact farming the trout in this way is preferable to decimating natural stocks so, no, don't have any issue with that. At commercial course fisheries, it's usually a catch and return rule any way isn't it?

You are now trying to compare apples with tractors to, presumably convince yourself? that you are right? The correct analogy to what you have written there would be possibly breed the trout and then try shooting them in the water as targets.. or to look at it from another angle, breeding pheasant for the table and dispatching them by necking or decapitating..

The purpose of breeding the pheasants in game shooting IS NOT to put food on the table, it is to provide living targets.. the fact some of the birds get eaten is a by product of the process.

Thank you thepasty... I sometimes wonder if some people can actually read!

The principal is the same as the one regarding pheasants. The trout are bred and reared purely to be caught and killed for entertainment. The waters that are used for 'put and take' are man made, generally for that purpose, so no wild stock to decimate.

The normal methods of catching fish on their journey from egg to plate, whether it be commercially or recreationally are by line and/or net... so, there is no change there. in fact farming the trout in this way is preferable to decimating natural stocks so, no, don't have any issue with that. At commercial course fisheries, it's usually a catch and return rule any way isn't it?

You are now trying to compare apples with tractors to, presumably convince yourself? that you are right? The correct analogy to what you have written there would be possibly breed the trout and then try shooting them in the water as targets.. or to look at it from another angle, breeding pheasant for the table and dispatching them by necking or decapitating..

The purpose of breeding the pheasants in game shooting IS NOT to put food on the table, it is to provide living targets.. the fact some of the birds get eaten is a by product of the process.

Thank you thepasty... I sometimes wonder if some people can actually read!

The principal is the same as the one regarding pheasants. The trout are bred and reared purely to be caught and killed for entertainment. The waters that are used for 'put and take' are man made, generally for that purpose, so no wild stock to decimate.

I think I understand but dont feel the two can be compared.. what does the fisherman generally do with the fish he has caught and killed?

I see the argument here but (pardon the pun) it holds no water... if we go down that route then where do we stop? maggot farms breeding flies to then be used as bait by fishermen? is that cruel to the flies?

Edited by Vipa

Eat it generally, give it away and some known as 'fishmongers' have been known to sell on their catch. much the same as game shoots and shooters really.

I think I understand but dont feel the two can be compared.. what does the fisherman generally do with the fish he has caught and killed?

Eat it generally, give it away and some known as 'fishmongers' have been known to sell on their catch. much the same as game shoots and shooters really.

Hmmm.. the game shooters I know tend to go to a shoot, kill a hundred birds or so and then walk away, possibly with a brace, but generally not

How the hell this has managed to derail to fishing god only knows... you know full well there is no feasible comparison between the two!

Edited by Vipa

And the rest are??????

On all of the commercial type shoots that I have been on over the years have sold on the surplus that the guns/beater have not taken, to a game dealer.

Hmmm.. the game shooters I know tend to go to a shoot, kill a hundred birds or so and then walk away, possibly with a brace, but generally not

I haven't made any comparisons with anything other than my made up driven deer shoot!

At risk of repeating my self YET AGAIN (do people honestly just jump on a thread and start bashing away at the last post?!) I find the idea of breeding animals with the sole intention of using them as live targets and Shooting them for fun morally repugnant and just a tad inhumane, not to mention sinister.. It matters not where the birds end up, on the table, in the pit, in a landfill (and please don't insult my intelligence by telling me this doesn't happen!) The tell-tale sign should be the price of a brace of shot pheasant vs the cost of rearing the birds up to the point they are shot..

My response to the OP was based on the observation that taking the decision to breed animals as live targets is about as morally low as it gets so then to criticise those based on how they present the targets after that point is, in my view, hypocritical. The comment was made based on that, not against game shooting per se.

Why do people insist on arguing with me on my morals?

Edited by Vipa

I haven't made any comparisons with anything other than my made up driven deer shoot!

At risk of repeating my self YET AGAIN (do people honestly just jump on a thread and start bashing away at the last post?!) I find the idea of breeding animals with the sole intention of using them as live targets and Shooting them for fun morally repugnant and just a tad inhumane, not to mention sinister.. It matters not where the birds end up, on the table, in the pit, in a landfill (and please don't insult my intelligence by telling me this doesn't happen!) The tell-tale sign should be the price of a brace of shot pheasant vs the cost of rearing the birds up to the point they are shot..

My response to the OP was based on the observation that taking the decision to breed animals as live targets is about as morally low as it gets so then to criticise those based on how they present the targets after that point is, in my view, hypocritical. The comment was made based on that, not against game shooting per se.

Why do people insist on arguing with me on my morals?

You should re- read your first post for the comparison you made. Morals are each to his own, bit like religeon and politics, topics not for discussion. I think it was you first mentioned morals in this context but I could be wrong. I am quite at ease with my comments thus far.

Morals are each to his own, bit like religeon and politics, topics not for discussion.

Morals are indeed a personal thing but should ALWAYS be up for discussion! We should always discuss and debate the things we hold close to our hearts, it's how a society can improve.

Got to agree to disagree sometimes though!

Morals are indeed a personal thing but should ALWAYS be up for discussion! We should always discuss and debate the things we hold close to our hearts, it's how a society can improve.

Got to agree to disagree sometimes though!

Ok Munzy should have inserted 'usually' in between, not and, for - take your point.