Bad two weeks

12boreblue

Just had a bit of bad news, my son who is 9 had been feeliing poorly and losing weight, took him to doctors who suggested a vitamin supplement, and sent us home. Kept losing weight, feeling tired and drinking alot. Took him back and asked for blood test, got an appointment a week later, two days after test at 10pm! phone call from doctor... get him into hospital A&E now! Christ I crapped myself, sadly he is diabetic; type one, poor fella, just hope he can deal with it for the rest of his life. I have found it really hard just watching him have to take 4-5 injections a day.

Just had a bit of bad news, my son who is 9 had been feeliing poorly and losing weight, took him to doctors who suggested a vitamin supplement, and sent us home. Kept losing weight, feeling tired and drinking alot. Took him back and asked for blood test, got an appointment a week later, two days after test at 10pm! phone call from doctor... get him into hospital A&E now! Christ I crapped myself, sadly he is diabetic; type one, poor fella, just hope he can deal with it for the rest of his life. I have found it really hard just watching him have to take 4-5 injections a day.

Chin up the little fellow will be o/k ..... Don't think much about the Doctor though.

My nephew got diagnosed with this a couple of years back when he was four years old and it really is amazing how they adapt until the injections, etc becomes normality.

A few months back he got fitted with a pump which releases the insulin instead of having to have the injections...It could well be worth looking into it.

The good thing about it, if there is a good thing, is how I hadn't noticed how our mealtimes had become shorter and shorter, and how we all had other 'important' things to do, computer games for kids, estimates and accounts for Dad and college studies for the Wife. We now actually sit and talk as well as eat.

He is coping well and seems very calm about it all.

Many thanks for you supportive relpies, helps to get it off your chest!

Edited by 12boreblue

My wife also has the pump as injections were not controlling it. gone from 5 a&e visits a year to none in 5 years.the next gen pumps from America look amazimy as well. Shame our hospital only has funds to fit 10/ year.

Got to say I hear a lot of nhs bashing in my trade but without them my wife would most definitely be dead.

Glad we were born in this country.

Best wishes to you and your family for all the hard work ahead, ask your gp what support systems are in place re diet advice etc, they are well worth attending.

Well, I got it at aged 12 - I'm still looking after myself with it at age 63 with no side effects whatsoever.

As long as your lad gets the hang of testing his blood-sugar levels and keeps his blood-sugar within normal ranges by balancing his food intake and insulin shots, he should be fine.

Have you been offered an insulin pump for him?

Im glad they have diagnosed this now. and im sure your son will bounce back quickly. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five years ago at the age of 29. i have since been on a few courses but the best one is called the DAFNE ( Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) it really helps with adjusting your injections for what you eat especially when you go out. there is also a nice App for the smart phones which gives you a guide on the carbohydrate content of most foods. its called Carbs & Cals. the biggest thing you will come up against is misinformed people that think type 2 diabetes is the same. ive even come up against people that think if your in Hypo that you need insulin?. And like others have said there are some good products out now so get onto your local diabetes clinic and push for an insulin pump. if you need any more info you can PM me or go to www.diabetes.org.uk. All the best for your son im sure he will be fine.

Regards

Joe

Terribly sorry to hear this I know personally the trauma this can cause to you and your family

It's very hard to adjust when you get the news, my son was 18 and preparing to join the Royal Engineers when they found he had Type 1 diabetes, it's been a massive blow for him as a career in the Army was his goal from a young age.

Everyone copes differently and he's had this now for 2 years he hasn't had any Hypo attacks and his general health is good god alone knows why he is very cavalier with his eating / drinking and insulin, both me and his mum badger him constantly I think he is still in denial to a certain extent.

You might also find it's not a particularly "sexy" illness rightly or wrongly it's not up there with other life threatening illness so you don't get the same level of consideration, my son had a part time job at Halfords and was reprimanded because he had some food he carried around with him, the manager dismissed him because it was against company policy for staff to eat / drink on the shop floor even though he explained the implications his view was he didn't need the risk of him having a Hypo in the store, strangely he "had to let him go" two weeks after he found out he had Diabetes.

As you lads only 9 he may adapt more quickly we have had great support from the local NHS team, with your support he will be fine there are good networks out there like "young fun and type 1" he might be a bit young for that it looks like some sort of 18 / 30 club LOL

All my best to you

Edited by chrisjh

Many thanks everyone!

Our hospital now has a clinic for children with diabeties and we go every two weeks, My boy is back at school and coping very well indeed, we have also been asked to join a research project at the hospital to try new remedies, machines etc.

Once again many thanks.

............ we have also been asked to join a research project at the hospital to try new remedies, machines etc.

Go for it!

I used to be on a Kings College Hospital research project - no waiting for appointments, straight in to see a particularly tasty staff-nurse, then in immediately to see the lead consultant - wonderful.

It's a pity that the study only lasted 5 years