My Barbour jacket

Monkey Nuts

I sent my jacket in one month ago after speaking with barbour over the phone about an alteration I would like making to my jacket.

I have a one year old 'Ashby' Barbour coat which I love but the sleeves are a little short. The jacket is still in excellent condition so I checked their website as they suggested and filled in their online alterations form.

I was told over the phone after detailing exactly what I wanted (sleeves lengthened by 8cm's) and the type of jacket, that it was perfectly doable and to send the coat in.

After 2 weeks not a peep from Barbour so I called to check they had at least received it ok. 'Yes' was the response and it was being inspected at that very moment. Two more weeks pass and no contact, so I ring them again. I get told to wait whilst they check to see what the progress is. The lady comes back to the phone and says "Your jacket has just been inspected and the alterations cannot be made"

I ask why as I was told on the phone and via the web it would be fine (simple infact). She says it's because adding material to the sleeves would narrow the cuffs too much. Now this seems like tripe to me as I can almost double the cuffs over my skinny little girl wrists at present! After a few minutes going back and forth they say it can't be done and the coat will be returned.

To conclude, pretty **** service from Barbour an not happy with being without the jacket for a month when nothing was done.

My question is, has anyone else has their wax Barbour sleeves lengthened? Should I ask Barbour again nicely or am I just wasting my breath?

My other resort would be a dress maker but I would need the correct material.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Monkey Nuts

I'd say they have a point, 8cm seems like a big chunk of increase and their explanations as to why it can't be done seems logical. They initially thought differently but after weighting things up physically decided it's no go. As a rule they are a brilliant company but I'd suggest even a dress maker would struggle.

Should be do-able...in a way

Try to find some leggings made from the same material - then use these for the fabric

You may not end up with the best looking sleeves, but they'll keep your arms dry as you play in your rubber tyre and take attention away from your simian boat race; did yer mum only feed you banana's as a nipper or something?

Should be do-able...in a way

Try to find some leggings made from the same material - then use these for the fabric

You may not end up with the best looking sleeves, but they'll keep your arms dry as you play in your rubber tyre and take attention away from your simian boat race; did yer mum only feed you banana's as a nipper or something?

I'm 6'4 but barely 12 stone, I can eat for England my man. It's ok to be jealous ;-)

I've recently had a similar bad experience with Barbour - Had a broken zip on a Barbour Crossfell jacket - spoke to Barbour - to be told, sorry we don't make that coat anymore and so we can't repair it and even if we could repair/replace the zip the repair wouldn't be waterproof!!

Anyway contacted http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/ and all sorted, new zip - very reasonably priced and good service, had it reproofed at the same time as they'd identified a couple of dodgy seams.

Edited by Brixsmaid

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks to Otters re proofing for the offer.

I spoke to Barbour again yesterday and explained my disappointment in their service. I must say, the lady I spoke to on the phone couldn't do enough to help. She still agreed the sleeves could not be lengthened but that I would need 2 new sleeves to be made to that length. Usually this costs £140 for them both but due to the service I had received they would replace both sleeves at my desired length, re proof the jacket, send me a pre paid bag in order to post them the jacket and gurantee I will have the jacket back in 2 weeks.

Usually I am a little sceptical, but if it turns out the way they say it will then I would be both pleased and impressed. I shall give them a chance and if they balls it up I will take up your kind offer Otters19 :good:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks to Otters re proofing for the offer.

I spoke to Barbour again yesterday and explained my disappointment in their service. I must say, the lady I spoke to on the phone couldn't do enough to help. She still agreed the sleeves could not be lengthened but that I would need 2 new sleeves to be made to that length. Usually this costs £140 for them both but due to the service I had received they would replace both sleeves at my desired length, re proof the jacket, send me a pre paid bag in order to post them the jacket and gurantee I will have the jacket back in 2 weeks.

Usually I am a little sceptical, but if it turns out the way they say it will then I would be both pleased and impressed. I shall give them a chance and if they balls it up I will take up your kind offer Otters19 :good:

Well? How did the story end? :whistling:

Whilst o the subject of Barbours and repairs/reproofing, Otters did a fantastic job of repairing and reproofing my Longshoreman smock, which hadn't been touched for 20 odd years. I'm really pleased with the results and would strongly recommend them.

Gary's communication was spot on, the price was very good and the help received when the return delivery was delayed by the courier was great.