changing tyres for all terrains

russdy

I changed my Jimny tyres for bigger ones on the same rims they just need to fit within the wheel arch without fouling I think. Always wondered how much it affected the speedo though?

I've always wondered that, especially when you see 4+4's with stupidly huge tyres fitted

I suppose you could check with a satnav ? Be interesting to see if there were much difference

So the tyres on now say 215/65/17. If i was to go for some bf goodrich which 2 figures were diferant say 225/75/17 would they not fitt on the same rim. I dont really understand what the 2 figures beforr the 17 really mean. I know its width and wall height but im not sure about stright swapping

what vehicle? Usually a change up in either width or profile is fine, but upping both can be a big swing. Changing both can be a fairly major change relative to the car it is on, not just for wheel arch but also steering arms and other suspension parts. My Jeep takes 225/70/15's. A change to a 245/65/16 works for height when you put it on, but it rubs on the inside of the tire when the suspension is compressed or at full lockup. And that is REDUCING the aspect ratio while going up.

Going from a 215/65/17 to a 225/75/17 is a pretty big jump (2.5" in diameter so you really need to get onto a forum of owners for your car and check what the max size is that people have found to work.

thanks,
rick

what vehicle? Usually a change up in either width or profile is fine, but upping both can be a big swing. Changing both can be a fairly major change relative to the car it is on, not just for wheel arch but also steering arms and other suspension parts. My Jeep takes 225/70/15's. A change to a 245/65/16 works for height when you put it on, but it rubs on the inside of the tire when the suspension is compressed or at full lockup. And that is REDUCING the aspect ratio while going up.

Going from a 215/65/17 to a 225/75/17 is a pretty big jump (2.5" in diameter so you really need to get onto a forum of owners for your car and check what the max size is that people have found to work.

thanks,

rick

It's not a big radius change though which is what counts

I was told it is illegal to change the tyre spec. And if u crash ur insurance may not be valid. Also the tyre width must be inside the bodywork for mot. Slightly narrower or wider is ok but that's about it my garage said

It's not illegal to change tyre size and any mod on your vehicle should be declared anyway. Try sticking with the same size as said above if you go to big you have to modify a lot. I went from 195/55/15 to 35/12.50/15 and had to change everything

Have changed the tyres on two of the 4x4 i have owned and like you,i asked the question here and on 4x4 forum with varied answers,some very indepth replies and links etc.

The only way be 100% in what you are doing and this is what i ended up doing, is to ask at your local tyre depot,they will look it up and will not fit a lot of the tyre sizes that will have been suggested on the internet,then i rang landrover main dealer and asked the workshop manager.

Ended up with standard width for rim but higher side wall and opted for bfg,few pounds more and had to change all five,but bfg are stronger side walls etc than a lot of the rivals,have a look what your local farmers have fitted........bfg