Caught on Camera!

Contemporary-Wildfowler

Gentlemen,

I'd like to share the following Youtube video-clip with you all, please take a little time to view such brutality from those so-called wildfowlers, or worse "goose guides". What you are about to witness is an act of utter foolery, nothing more than a massacre. This 1 minute 39 second video-clip has made such a profound impact on myself, it is only fair that I publicly address the forum to try and put a simple message across - in an attempt to stop this madness. This is beyond justifiable, this is not your average "big bag", nor is this a "red letter day", this is clearly an act of greed and corruption.

We have now entered an era where the fashionable attitude towards goose decoying is matched to that of pigeon decoying. What has not to be forgotten is that the grey goose is not classified as vermin. Maybe in some parts of the British Isles we do consider the canada goose to be an agricultural pest as too the greylag goose in the Northern and Western Isles of Scotland, but look at the efficient measures we have in place for that.

This seems to be instigated by one of those corrupt "goose guides" who would rather see the pound signs than the practice of sporting etiquette. No wonder we have the existence of a lobbying anti-blood sport pressure group - who would blame them when we have idiotic cowboys like such. Considering the great amount of controversy over goose shooting in places such as Orkney and in Aberdeenshire, it has now to to the point where we have to educate those on the aspect of conservation, because if things carry on the way they are, before we know it, numbers will deplete and it will take years for those numbers to replenish. I am not classifying every goose guide as corrupt nor am I against the lucrative business aspect of goose shooting, but all I am saying is that they are out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWbPRk2MvA

As passionate wildfowlers, we do not have the right to slaughter them in numbers, but one or two for the pot in the right circumstances is very enjoyable and quite acceptable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post - it is important we conserve the art of wildfowling for generations to come!

CW.

I think you are preaching to the converted on here.

The clip has already been on and has been condemned by those felt the need to comment , unfortunately the people who are happy to shoot like this will take no notice of such things .

The only hope I can see would be if a bag limit was made law , this too would be a sad day too as it would be a thin edge of a large wedge.

Did you join the Pigeon Watch forum on 1st November simply to put up this video with the attached emotional comments?

Had you looked through previous posts even from a few days back you would have seen the self same video and plenty of damning comments to boot. There was no need to open up a separate thread.

That just isn't sport. Surely those involved can't really enjoy what they are doing.

I shot just 3 pinks this morning on the shore. There was real excitement as the birds approached and came within range.This feeling can't be obtained from shooting geese in the manner shown in this video. Pathetic!

In agreement with fenboy, the idea of legislating a bag limit would be one solution to this madness. In my eyes, motty shot an acceptable bag this morning. In any case, to even shoot two - one in each hand - I vacate the place with a smile spread across my face.

How many of you would agree or disagree if a bag limit was made law?

This clip has already done the rounds on various forums and further discussion on bag limits can only do further harm and give ammunition to those who would wish to put restraints in place.

Suggest we wildfowlers and sporting shooters agree enough dirty laundry has been aired!?

CW & all. I have read many of the posts on this forum (meaning the wildfowling forum) and have enjoyed wildfowling for many years. I have shot with some of the people, introduced/mentored some of them to the marshes and have had many good conversations with quite a few guys who add to the topics we generate. I believe that the people on here have the utmost respect for all of our quarry and are very like minded regarding our favoured pastime. I cant say I know of anyone that would want to jeopardise or get wildfowling a bad name in any way.

We may one day see an official bag return imposed on us, but it wont be caused by what I deem Wildfowlers. If that happens (as in many cases), it will be because of a very small minority giving us all bad press for mindless acts. Many of the clubs and associations we all belong to have bag limits, but many of us have personal bag limits (read all the posts) that is way under those set by our clubs. Many also abide by any voluntary bans imposed on us during especially hard times in the winter months.

I chose not to view the video as I read the posts on here and can get a take on what went on, I thought the more views it gets the more popular it would become and would not be a true reflection of true wildfowlers.

Many thanks for your concerns and views.

Why put this up again... and as a first post....... Can we get this locked again. Anti's dont even have to leave their armchairs in the evenings now, just log onto pigeon watch lately. Nearly everyone condemned the video first time around.

I understand what you are saying but as reasonable people who shoot, I believe we should take every opportunity to regulate ourselves. You should therefore take every opportunity to condemn disgraceful activity in our sport, especially wildfowlers wrt wildfowling. Antis will look for this stuff on youtube and will probably google it as well. I often get a google ref to PW. How much better it is if every time they do that they read we condemn it strongly, setting personal bag limits which are small.

This isnt washing laundry in public, its taking control of our sport to ensure it is auditable by those support us now and we wish to retain as supporters for the future.

There is nothing sporting about, I refuse and always have refused to shoot birds on the ground. Me and the old man are believe in only shooting what you intend to eat and the most be have shot before stopping is 7 widgeon.

This kind of shooting is just a slaughter which only serves to give the any shooting mob ammo to use against us.

I understand what you are saying but as reasonable people who shoot, I believe we should take every opportunity to regulate ourselves. You should therefore take every opportunity to condemn disgraceful activity in our sport, especially wildfowlers wrt wildfowling. Antis will look for this stuff on youtube and will probably google it as well. I often get a google ref to PW. How much better it is if every time they do that they read we condemn it strongly, setting personal bag limits which are small.

This isnt washing laundry in public, its taking control of our sport to ensure it is auditable by those support us now and we wish to retain as supporters for the future.

Of course I condemn it!! Its disgraceful. Its a fair point if someone reading it saw all the disgust against it. But as someone said, putting it on here will make no difference as you are preaching to the converted. Plus its already been discussed. Maybe the only way to make a difference is to find the guide and report him. But to who?? He is doing nothing illegal, just immoral.

Of course I condemn it!! Its disgraceful. Its a fair point if someone reading it saw all the disgust against it. But as someone said, putting it on here will make no difference as you are preaching to the converted. Plus its already been discussed. Maybe the only way to make a difference is to find the guide and report him. But to who?? He is doing nothing illegal, just immoral.

I know you condemn it, but your first post wasn't perhaps as clear to everyone else.

Our sporting organisations should list people who are in commercial shooting as morally unethical or unsupported if they are so. Then lobby for their own code of practice to be given the force of law - that is self regulation. I think guides who do not respect private property (Orkney) or who apply no bag limits need to be named and shamed to end the practice.

I honestly think we need to root out bad practice everywhere in our sport as not doing so, condones it or, at best, accepts its inevitable - its not and shouldnt be - I know we agree on that.

There is no harm in refreshing this subject, if anything surely it will provide some form of education to all those novice wildfowlers who so desperately require advice. Surely this is one of the most important pieces of advice any beginner should be given - respect your quarry, shoot only what you need. I am fully aware that the majority of forum members are converted, however what about that small minority who are not - lets educate them! For some of you gentlemen, please do not get so flustered... there is plenty of room for discussion on here!

There is no harm in refreshing this subject, if anything surely it will provide some form of education to all those novice wildfowlers who so desperately require advice. Surely this is one of the most important pieces of advice any beginner should be given - respect your quarry, shoot only what you need. I am fully aware that the majority of forum members are converted, however what about that small minority who are not - lets educate them! For some of you gentlemen, please do not get so flustered... there is plenty of room for discussion on here!

you will put people off for life (novices)and the young if you start showing them this sort of ********!...its been going on for years and nowt gets done about it,if you don't like it don't watch it its dreadfull yes but ya doing nee one any favours by putting it up again just the antis rubbing there hands with delight! sooner or later the law will change maybe basc should look harder at this bag limit mallarky! :yes:

you will put people off for life (novices)and the young if you start showing them this sort of ********!...its been going on for years and nowt gets done about it,if you don't like it don't watch it its dreadfull yes but ya doing nee one any favours by putting it up again just the antis rubbing there hands with delight! sooner or later the law will change maybe basc should look harder at this bag limit mallarky! :yes:

How many more years will pass before we start to see the daunting effects, why bury our heads in the sand and forget all about this madness? I would disagree with your statement: "you will put people off for life...", this should be used to our advantage, this is merely an educational video on how not to shoot - a basic lesson on how proper sporting etiquette should be carried out. Lets not consider too much about fueling the anti community, lets consider our own wildfowling community for now. If there is more and more of this activity taking place and we refuse to educate fellow wildfowlers, then lets hope and pray that BASC does see sense and help introduce some form of control on a bag limit.

How many more years will pass before we start to see the daunting effects, why bury our heads in the sand and forget all about this madness? I would disagree with your statement: "you will put people off for life...", this should be used to our advantage, this is merely an educational video on how not to shoot - a basic lesson on how proper sporting etiquette should be carried out. Lets not consider too much about fueling the anti community, lets consider our own wildfowling community for now. If there is more and more of this activity taking place and we refuse to educate fellow wildfowlers, then lets hope and pray that BASC does see sense and help introduce some form of control on a bag limit.

Well said.....

absolutely disgraceful....sometimes feel so ashamed at the behaviour of my fellow 'supposed' sportsmen...... despite all the talk put a gun in someones hand, let them loose and it wont be long before their character and morals show through

And how far do you go with that one pray tell? Do we limit / control bag's on ALL types of game shooting or just the ones that the majority consider to be on the fringe (?) and then while were at it lets look at controlling numbers on the pest species as well?

Trouble is that once pandoras box is open its very difficult to shut the lid! Discussion is a good thing and self restriction is great, self control even better ....... but lets not forget this is a PUBLIC forum.

Contemporary-Wildfowler has another agenda I am sure.

Having posted the video and being told that it had already been posted and the actions contained therein roundly condemned that should have been enough. But no, more strong words and suggestions. Give us a break and desist from posting along the same lines.

Gentlemen,

I'd like to share the following Youtube video-clip with you all, please take a little time to view such brutality from those so-called wildfowlers, or worse "goose guides". What you are about to witness is an act of utter foolery, nothing more than a massacre. This 1 minute 39 second video-clip has made such a profound impact on myself, it is only fair that I publicly address the forum to try and put a simple message across - in an attempt to stop this madness. This is beyond justifiable, this is not your average "big bag", nor is this a "red letter day", this is clearly an act of greed and corruption.

We have now entered an era where the fashionable attitude towards goose decoying is matched to that of pigeon decoying. What has not to be forgotten is that the grey goose is not classified as vermin. Maybe in some parts of the British Isles we do consider the canada goose to be an agricultural pest as too the greylag goose in the Northern and Western Isles of Scotland, but look at the efficient measures we have in place for that.

This seems to be instigated by one of those corrupt "goose guides" who would rather see the pound signs than the practice of sporting etiquette. No wonder we have the existence of a lobbying anti-blood sport pressure group - who would blame them when we have idiotic cowboys like such. Considering the great amount of controversy over goose shooting in places such as Orkney and in Aberdeenshire, it has now to to the point where we have to educate those on the aspect of conservation, because if things carry on the way they are, before we know it, numbers will deplete and it will take years for those numbers to replenish. I am not classifying every goose guide as corrupt nor am I against the lucrative business aspect of goose shooting, but all I am saying is that they are out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWbPRk2MvA

As passionate wildfowlers, we do not have the right to slaughter them in numbers, but one or two for the pot in the right circumstances is very enjoyable and quite acceptable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post - it is important we conserve the art of wildfowling for generations to come!

CW.

Welcome to pigeon watch CW but be prepared for the long & lonely road of exposing wrong doers & wildlife criminals on this forum & not too mention the insults & ridicule you are likely to get from small core of persons on here but do keep up the good work because too many just bury their heads in the sand & pretend every thing is all "" Hunky Dory ! "".

You are not preaching to the converted so ignore those comments , there are those in the background who read this forum & say little or nothing & a lot of them are what I can only refer to as the " small w...y numbers boys who are never never never satisfied & always want more simply to boost their pathetic egos .

Some of the things that have happened here where I live are down right disgusting & these are the very things which will in the end undermine us & bring us all down , but be warned & as said its a long & lonely road being a wildfowling & wildlife guardian & a conservationist on pigeon watch . Will PM you .

Contemporary-Wildfowler has another agenda I am sure.

Having posted the video and being told that it had already been posted and the actions contained therein roundly condemned that should have been enough. But no, more strong words and suggestions. Give us a break and desist from posting along the same lines.

It doesnt matter if he has another agenda surely ?

He is either right or he is wrong - my belief is he is right and we ignore/condone/justify such behaviour, not at our peril but of the future of this special sport for others yet to come.

This simply needs to be stopped is that not so, or are you a supporter of this behaviour?

It doesnt matter if he has another agenda surely ?

He is either right or he is wrong - my belief is he is right and we ignore/condone/justify such behaviour, not at our peril but of the future of this special sport for others yet to come.

This simply needs to be stopped is that not so, or are you a supporter of this behaviour?

Your last question is either facetious or rhetorical I cannot work out which. Maybe I am just too stupid. It is certainly pointless. Who wouldn't condemn such behaviour?

My point is that Contemporary-Wildfowler dived in to Pigeon Watch with his first post which was simply a re-run of the posting by sako751sg which was originally posted only on the 29th October. Had he taken time to peruse the forum he would have seen that the video was already in the public domain and that the actions contained therein were seen by most as being repulsive, myself included.

Rather odd for a first post where his profile give no info whatsoever . I would be cautious on giving my opinion here, there has been posts recently regarding a certain Facebook page and I wouldn't want to give out any info or opinions that might not be used in the best light.

This is a public forum.