despatching rats

toontastic

Barbaric and I think illegal:

"Rural Development Service’s (2006) advisory note on rat control which stated that: ‘Drowning is not a humane method of dispatch and could result in prosecution…"

But feeding them poison that causes them to slowly bleed to death is fine !

Personally, given the choice, I would rather drown.

Yeah but it's not a personal issue and unfortunately that opinion could land the op in hot water. Bloke got prosecuted for drowning a squirrel.

Karpman

I am having a problem with rats coming from an allotment into my garden, so I am thinking of putting some cage traps out. What I would like to know is would a .22 webley tempest air pistol be a suitable tool for despatching them.

Cheers

It will do just fine as long as you deliver it to the right place!

Barbaric and I think illegal:

"Rural Development Service’s (2006) advisory note on rat control which stated that: ‘Drowning is not a humane method of dispatch and could result in prosecution…"

I can see a clear argument, both ways, and historically drowning was a virtually universally accepted way of despatch, but is not considered humane today.

Anti Coagulant poisons have been used for many years now and are approved by the Government, Europe and most of the world as humane (so that make it fine then!). The suggestion is that the rat/mouse does not suffer, he just feel unwell, goes home and goes to sleep and simply does not wake up. How the government actually come by this conclusion is beyond me!

Edited by Dekers

I can see a clear argument, both ways, and historically drowning was a virtually universally accepted way of despatch, but is not considered humane today.

Anti Coagulant poisons have been used for many years now and are approved by the Government, Europe and most of the world as humane (so that make it fine then!). The suggestion is that the rat/mouse does not suffer, he just feel unwell, goes home and goes to sleep and simply does not wake up. How the government actually come by this conclusion is beyond me!

its all daft. you can feed them poison that causes a slow death from internal bleeding. shoot them hopefully with a clean kill but never guaranteed, hit them with a shovel, crush them in a body grip trap, gas them with aluminium phosphate, fill them full of exhaust fumes and bolt them to waiting terriers. send in a ferret after them, but whatever you do, dear god have a heart and dont drown them :innocent:

I was led to believe that poisoned grain was brought back to the burrow where it would kill the young too. I agree that definitions of "humane" are somewhat flexible.

Has anyone seen this, though?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/06/mutant-super-rats_n_4223710.html

Bait should be in sealed bait boxes and not able to be moved, grain as grain is eaten and very difficult to move as it is single pieces of grain. Loose grain in boxes or trays should only be used in sealed environments and not left exposed! Rats are greedy ******* and gorge themselves, they are not known for taking food home for anyone! Immunity is nothing new and is why we are on the second generation of anti coagulants, and also why new poisons are constantly being developed. :good:

Edited by Dekers

its all daft. you can feed them poison that causes a slow death from internal bleeding. shoot them hopefully with a clean kill but never guaranteed, hit them with a shovel, crush them in a body grip trap, gas them with aluminium phosphate, fill them full of exhaust fumes and bolt them to waiting terriers. send in a ferret after them, but whatever you do, dear god have a heart and dont drown them :innocent:

Aluminium phosphide :good:

Yep......

and don't forget Glue boards, something else Europe keeps thinking about banning, funny old world!

post-20848-0-48574100-1384101011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dekers

Loads of ways to kill a rat, but the quicker the better.

sticky boards are so effective, however it's not a nice site seeing a rat that's chewed its feet off to try and get off. I know rats are rats but they are still deservant of a quick an end as possible.

anti-coagulants aren't too bad - internal haemorage due to the lack of Vit K which means each time they move their capillaries that burst don't heal and they bleed internally (something which does also happen to humans with a warferin overdose) and it appears to be a fairly humane practice.

I used to work for Rentokil and did some time at their 'rat farm' with a professor who's life work was rats and mice and developing ways to control them. Interesting stuff. Had some videos of rats running up a brick wall like it was horizontal. The issue is that the EU keep lessening what pest controllers are allowed to use, i.e checka tubes used to be great - not allowed. Anything that works - not allowed. They make us use such weak stuff, that you make it less humane.

I doubt you will do much good with cage traps with resident rats, they are very wary of new objects. Now if they were already in place when they came that's another matter! Get some blue food out and keep it topped up loose in little bags at first just torn so some spills out.

Terriers, ferrets and smoke can be very effective at finding the but unless all the exits are totally blocked you are unlikely to make much impact.

I hate the scaly tail but you have to admire its tenacity and ability to survive- with BOP, stoats, foxes, cats and dogs not to mention the Human with his traps and poison after them for centuries its certainly no quitter!

Hi kent, thanx for your reply. Up until just over a week ago there were no rats. It was only when an allotment holder started pulling down some old chicken sheds that they started coming into the garden. I was hoping by using a few traps it would maybe stop them taking up home, or should I be looking at other options. Don't really fancy the idea of poison as I'm worried about them dying in the yard where the dogs/kids could come into contact with poisoned rats.

Hi kent, thanx for your reply. Up until just over a week ago there were no rats. It was only when an allotment holder started pulling down some old chicken sheds that they started coming into the garden. I was hoping by using a few traps it would maybe stop them taking up home, or should I be looking at other options. Don't really fancy the idea of poison as I'm worried about them dying in the yard where the dogs/kids could come into contact with poisoned rats.

Shouldn't worry about it just collect any you see as most will go back to the nest for the big sleep. been poisoning a rat problem round one of my buildings last 3 weeks yet to find a corpse and I have seen a fair bit of blue poop then a sudden decrease in sightings /damage. Think the kids and dog is more at risk from what they nasties they carry rather than the content of their stomach - neither will be eating them anyway!

Bromadiolone is one of several widely used rat poisons, the chances of cats/dogs/children becoming ill from Secondary poisoning is so incredibly remote as to be realistically discounted! Even if they did, in simply terms, vitamin K will reverse the effect!

See LD50 table, rat only needs 1.125mg/kg Bromadiolone and its over, so imagine how many rats a dog would have to eat to ingest 10mg/kg> of Bromadiolone through secondary poisoning. As soon as you stop eating it you start getting better anyway, that's why rat poison should always be kept topped up, or they simply can't eat enough to kill them and they may well end up immune!

Oral LD50

Bromadiolone

Rat

1.125 mg/kg b.w.

Mouse

1.75 mg/kg b.w.

Rabbit

1 mg/kg b.w.

Dog

> 10 mg/kg b.w.

Cat

> 25 mg/kg b.w.

Bromadiolone is one of several widely used rat poisons, the chances of cats/dogs/children becoming ill from Secondary poisoning is so incredibly remote as to be realistically discounted! Even if they did, in simply terms, vitamin K will reverse the effect!

See LD50 table, rat only needs 1.125mg/kg Bromadiolone and its over, so imagine how many rats a dog would have to eat to ingest 10mg/kg> of Bromadiolone through secondary poisoning. As soon as you stop eating it you start getting better anyway, that's why rat poison should always be kept topped up, or they simply can't eat enough to kill them and they may well end up immune!

Oral LD50

Bromadiolone

Rat

1.125 mg/kg b.w.

Mouse

1.75 mg/kg b.w.

Rabbit

1 mg/kg b.w.

Dog

> 10 mg/kg b.w.

Cat

> 25 mg/kg b.w.

So in terms of wheat based bromadiolone does a rat need to injest in terms of the wheat by volume to expire?