PIGEONS FLOCKING UP

starlight32

On a recon today and managed to cover quite a lot of ground, pigeons starting to gather flock and are bouncing between OSR and woodland very frequently nicley down here. ( In suffolk).

Bagged 17 yesterday and opened a few up -mainly osr and acorns, but predominately more osr.

Still a bit rotary shy though, even with good wind we have been having.

Busiest flighting time at the end of the day is around 2.30-3.00 o'clock, Took 4 tonite in 20 minutes, standing beside my truck not really expecting to shoot (My motor is bright red!!!)

Looking at the weather could we all be in for some of Europe's snow?:/

sorry if this is abit off topic but i was reading through the pigeon watch map on the homepage and whilst looking at the reports i noticed that some of you manage to kill upto 300 pigeons in a single day??? what do you do with all them pigeons??!! you surely can't eat them all or freeze them or do you sell them on and give to the farmer etc??

300 day bags are very uncommon, you need to do a lot of forward planning and have everything in your favour to make a bag of that size.

A number of professional Pigeon guides will regularly take daily bags of that size from a group of guns, but only if the guns are experienced shots, which unfortunately many are not.

All birds are either shipped direct to a Game dealer or are frozen for collection in bulk, nothing is wasted or thrown away.

Whilst many people offer a few to the Farmer, I've never met one who regularly feeds his family on Pigeon meat.

Cat.

sorry if this is abit off topic but i was reading through the pigeon watch map on the homepage and whilst looking at the reports i noticed that some of you manage to kill upto 300 pigeons in a single day??? what do you do with all them pigeons??!! you surely can't eat them all or freeze them or do you sell them on and give to the farmer etc??

Where on earth did you read that? As a newbie I suggest you stick to filling out the lottery form...you've more chance of getting 300 that way than chasing Woody :good:

I wouldn't loose to much sleep worrying about what to do with that many, if it ever happens put a post on here...plenty of people will tell you what to do with them :good:

Where on earth did you read that? As a newbie I suggest you stick to filling out the lottery form...you've more chance of getting 300 that way than chasing Woody :no:

I wouldn't loose to much sleep worrying about what to do with that many, if it ever happens put a post on here...plenty of people will tell you what to do with them :good:

its not the quantity of birds but the skill of picking out good clean shots,and not turning the birds into pillow cases.as in blasting from ten yardsaway. :good:

Where on earth did you read that? As a newbie I suggest you stick to filling out the lottery form...you've more chance of getting 300 that way than chasing Woody :no:

I didn't say that I was going to shoot that many did i??!! :good: And i think you will find on the www.pigeonwatch.co.uk homepage if you go into Pigeon Watch on the left hand side it actually gives reports for all areas in the uk and obviously you HAVEN'T read them because there are people claiming to have got 'UPTO' 300 in a day so as an ''expert'' on the site it would be better if you actually pointed out valid facts don't you think?!

I was only bringing it up because although i agree with shooting pigeons I don't agree with wasting them so keep the 'non funny' remarks to yourself.......thankyou.

A number of professional Pigeon guides will regularly take daily bags of that size from a group of guns, but only if the guns are experienced shots, which unfortunately many are not.

Cat.

SO true. And it always seems that the most useless shots always seem to manage to bag the hotspot, then proceed to bang away like a loony, and fire shedloads of ammo for f/a result.

The worst client I had fired 270 shots for ..................wait for it.........

4 Pigeons. :blink: :good::good::lol: :yp: :no: :o :P

Nice shootin son.

Cat.

SO true. And it always seems that the most useless shots always seem to manage to bag the hotspot, then proceed to bang away like a loony, and fire shedloads of ammo for f/a result.

The worst client I had fired 270 shots for ..................wait for it.........

4 Pigeons. :yes::lol::lol::lol::/:lol::lol::lol:

Nice shootin son.

LBBBBBBB. you crafty sod. you didn't tell us you had popped over to will's for a day.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave K