High Shooting and Squawking

6.5x55SE

It's really sad to read this thread as I didn't realise the problem is as bad as it appears to be so close to home. I have not witnessed this high shooting on the said marshes as I am not a member but do shoot just up the road. I think it could be an accumulation of things that had led to this problem. Respect is top of the list in my opinion. That means respect of the quarry and others around you. When I first started on the marsh you had respect for the other shooting and if you were tempted to chance you skills at a bird that was deemed out of range you were sure to get reminded but those senior to you, you sure knew you had done wrong! I can imagine some of the answers if you said something now.

The geese, surely we have to show them the utmost of respect as they have come miles to grace our marshes. Are we no longer happy to see them fly over us and go home with the thought I was in the right place at the right time and the geese won today? I can remember their being no geese, or very few for quite a few years on the marshes. This had a big impact on the wash group clubs, membership gradually dwindled, obviously funds were lost. All this high shooting is in time going to have an impact on where the geese go to feed and indeed roost. The minority will spoil it for the majority as in all cases. If so called wildfowlers only shot at birds within range the disturbance would be far less.

The club I am in insist on New Members having a minimum of six compulsory flights with an experienced member. I have always been more than willing to assist anyone and my no1 rule is don't shoot if you don't know! If you are unsure on species let it go and if you don't think its in range the same applies.

I also put some blame on cartridge, gadgets and gun manufacturers. They boast that their product will do this and that but in reality it wont unless its in the hands of a true expert....which the majority of us are not.

Hopefully that small minority who do let the majority down will gradually get found out and banned from the sport. Maybe its time for clubs and associations to join together and have a black list so they cant get memberships or day tickets if proven guilty of such offences?

Very well put Graham :good:

Also its no use moaning about it on here if you are not prepared to mention it to the committee of the club/s concerned , its ok saying it will fall on deaf ears but I am sure if enough complaints are made they would act because at the end of the day it could lead to respected fowlers leaving and once the club is full of cowboys it will soon go down the pan.

It's really sad to read this thread as I didn't realise the problem is as bad as it appears to be so close to home. I have not witnessed this high shooting on the said marshes as I am not a member but do shoot just up the road. I think it could be an accumulation of things that had led to this problem. Respect is top of the list in my opinion. That means respect of the quarry and others around you. When I first started on the marsh you had respect for the other shooting and if you were tempted to chance you skills at a bird that was deemed out of range you were sure to get reminded but those senior to you, you sure knew you had done wrong! I can imagine some of the answers if you said something now.

The geese, surely we have to show them the utmost of respect as they have come miles to grace our marshes. Are we no longer happy to see them fly over us and go home with the thought I was in the right place at the right time and the geese won today? I can remember their being no geese, or very few for quite a few years on the marshes. This had a big impact on the wash group clubs, membership gradually dwindled, obviously funds were lost. All this high shooting is in time going to have an impact on where the geese go to feed and indeed roost. The minority will spoil it for the majority as in all cases. If so called wildfowlers only shot at birds within range the disturbance would be far less.

The club I am in insist on New Members having a minimum of six compulsory flights with an experienced member. I have always been more than willing to assist anyone and my no1 rule is don't shoot if you don't know! If you are unsure on species let it go and if you don't think its in range the same applies.

I also put some blame on cartridge, gadgets and gun manufacturers. They boast that their product will do this and that but in reality it wont unless its in the hands of a true expert....which the majority of us are not.

Hopefully that small minority who do let the majority down will gradually get found out and banned from the sport. Maybe its time for clubs and associations to join together and have a black list so they cant get memberships or day tickets if proven guilty of such offences?

I'll second that. It wasn't that long ago on here that someone was claiming to be killing 90 yard geese by using some super duper after market choke :no:

Fenboy cases have been reported official from the club has witnessed these acts. Have you also thought these cowboys ARE keeping the club running!!!!! As for moaning on here hopefully by doing so it gets to a wider band of people and news travels fast over the internet. And most of these modern fowlers get there information from instead of hard and experience like Old Farts like myself

Any Gedney Drove End members could I please ask you not to post anything about the club in social media or mainstream media this includes pictures and text. This is against club rules and all members should have received this in newsletter earlier in year.

Thanks Ben

How many clubs have this type of rule as i have noticed that you never hear any reports from certain clubs?

I am not saying its right or wrong just curious.

Regards

Hcc

I have just thought if they had this rule they would not be able to answer my question.

Edited by harrycatcat1

How many clubs have this type of rule as i have noticed that you never hear any reports from certain clubs?

I am not saying its right or wrong just curious.

Regards

Hcc

Not certain but it was put into place to protect the club and its members. Remember these forums are available to be viewed by the world.

If anybody does have any issue with anything please contact a club official they are all approachable.

Any Gedney Drove End members could I please ask you not to post anything about the club in social media or mainstream media this includes pictures and text. This is against club rules and all members should have received this in newsletter earlier in year.

Thanks Ben

So if someone in your club shoots a nice bag ( for example mixed species) they then aren't allowed to post a picture of it on the internet. Is this correct?

So if someone in your club shoots a nice bag ( for example mixed species) they then aren't allowed to post a picture of it on the internet. Is this correct?

I was thinking this as well but didn't say anything. Always nice to hear some good things about a club. Being from up north I didn't even known there was a gedney wildfowlers until someone mentioned the high shooting..

Bad times when people can't talk about what is a legitimate 'sport' for fear of how people will react.

Thanks Ben

If you're not allowed to talk about drove end, then how do you expect to get new members. I know for a fact that this forum has gotten new members for clubs.

Edited by Big Mat

At the end of the day you still have to prove whatever the people were shooting at is out of range to everyone and actually who it is doing it. I have heard people accuse others of shooting out of range and that person had actually walked off with something in the bag. I defy anyone to see everything we shoot at too, You may see a big skein of geese coming off but do others see those that could well be lower or in a different skein altogether. We all have our limits, some have more ability than others. I agree some have very little idea of range and do get carried away.

Also you have to be 100% sure it is actually a member of another club who is doing it. To name other clubs as the perpetrators of the said crime without solid evidence is not good but should be done in a discreet way.

This is not unique to one or two marshes.

Thanks Ben

What about the photos on your website? What's the difference between there and here?

On a slightly different note, there was two guns out tonight where I shoot and they were on either side of where the birds roost. Would bet good money they weren't club members as well but there's not much you can do about these things.

surely if they were not club members they would be committing armed trespass?

andrew

The photo's for the website have been approved.

I think there is a difference between talking about a club it's shooting locations and the birds within it , and showing a picture of a couple of ducks and a goose shot on the marsh for example, my club would not be amused with the first example I'm sure but not to the extent you couldn't show a picture of few shot birds, I'm glad I left your club if this is the route you are going down that's for sure.....