Weight loss

truflex

Dietetics is a complex business, the types of foods you eat, the composition of the food, the GI of the food, your insulin/ glucose profile etc etc

The simple fact is, if you take in more calories than you expend you will gain weight, simple.

Taking less calories that you need, from the wrong food and lack of exercise isn't good for you from a whole body health point of view.

Balance is the key, high protein diets, no carb diets, fasting diets (ie attempting to change metabolic rates) are quick fixes and can have some profound health implications.

A complete balanced diet, with exercise is the way forward holistically.

Edited by kyska

Try this, and despite its name, it is not really a diet at all just a change in eating. A number of lads here do it and Michael Mosely was on BBC's Horizon which can still be found on youtube.

Clicky

As this post completely polarised what I've said, I must answer .

Fasting per se won't harm 'most' people, the issues from fasting can be long reaching...

If you take medication, they might well need food to work properly or prevent harm.

You could well find out that you have insulin problems, a good thing, but not if it makes you poorly.

If you have a job that requires concentration and fine motor skills, you will most likely discover that you're useless on your fasting day.

Counter productiveness in a diet, if you can stick to it great, if you can't you'll find the most calorie rich food to eat after a fast to satiate your leptin receptors....high fat, high sugar.

These diets have been proven to have links anorexia and bulimia, it's not just skinny, females that suffer, I can tell you.

Just because a Dr is wringing money from this, there is no evidence saying it's a good thing to do, there are for a balanced healthy life style.

Go figure.

eat what you normally do (provided your weight "problem" isnt due to a bad diet.).....just eat a bit less

I once tried this with a camel...I got it down to 1 strand of hay per week...and from 600Kg to just over 50 Kg .and suddenly it died :oops: so i had to stop the experiment (couldnt afford a second camel) but the results confimed my hypothesis...just eat less. :whistling: ..

Calories in/calories out is overly simplified, as a very rough guide it won't hurt, but as kyska has said there is lot more to it than that.

Lifestyle change, is the answer anything short term or quick fix, will fail as soon as you stop.

Absolutely, the thing is with 'quick loss' diets is that you have the option, meaning that when you feel comfortable with that extra weight, you'll not bother, but when that summer domes up, or that wedding people resort to these methods, it's not good, it plays havoc with your pancreas and adipose tissue and your liver, sub clinically.

If you aren't on the extremes of bmi (bmi taken with a pinch of salt) anyone's best bet is the life changing experience. I say this as the benefits of being fitter, closer to your ideal weight is a holistic approach, and most people who are comfortable in themselves have the freedom to 'be naughty' anyway.

As you am tell, I'm not an advocate for the acute fix, not that they don't work, simply that they are acute and don't benefit health across the board.

Its a mistake to think of weight loss as a "Target" , Instead think of it more as a "Life style change" . Something your going to be doing from now on , Not just something til you hit the weight you want to be at .

I lost 5 stone in 5 months at the start of this year , And its not really that hard to be honest , Little bit of planning , Diet and exercise , And the hardest part....... Sticking with it .

Hope this helps .

All the best fellas .

Andy .

Its a mistake to think of weight loss as a "Target" , Instead think of it more as a "Life style change" . Something your going to be doing from now on , Not just something til you hit the weight you want to be at .

I lost 5 stone in 5 months at the start of this year , And its not really that hard to be honest , Little bit of planning , Diet and exercise , And the hardest part....... Sticking with it .

Hope this helps .

All the best fellas .

Andy .

5 stone in 5 months is incredible. Is that about 3 pound a week? I hope you manage to keep it off, are you at your goal weight?

I would like to lose about a stone. I am going on the eat less rubbish and exercise more.

5 stone in 5 months is incredible. Is that about 3 pound a week? I hope you manage to keep it off, are you at your goal weight?

I would like to lose about a stone. I am going on the eat less rubbish and exercise more.

Cheers mate , was well over 18 stone at the start Of this year , was down to 13-6 at one stage , but didn't like how I felt for most of the time , found I was tired and couldn't lift quite as much down the gym . I'm 42 and 5'10''

So am now just over 14 stone again , will probably stay around here , not that hard to keep at this weight for me .

Still had a cheat meal once per week , and the rest of the time I just eat fairly heathly , not living off rabbit food , but keeping a mindful eye of the food/fuel I was eating .

A well though out diet and training plan is really all you need , don't over think things , it's really pretty simple , lift weights 2-3 times a week , and cardio 3-4 times a week for 40/60 mins at a fairly brisk pace , start off easy and plan your workouts with REAL goals , And give yourself a reward for hitting them .

As I now look pretty much different to how I looked at the start of the year , I get people asking how I did it , I even have the personal trainers asking at the gym , And when I go into details They tell me I've done it all wrong!

My answer , (A) Not being funny mate , but YOU dont look like your in that great a shape , And you do this for a living , AND I've got 20 years on you! And (B) I never take advice from people on my personal fitness who are in worst shape than I am in , If I'm doing it wrong , I'd like to know what I'd look like now if I was doing it right!

Don't plan on eating less rubbish mate , plan on eating rubbish once a week on your cheat meal/day , there's plenty of heathly food out there , That's Still nice to have .

It really really really only comes down to one very simple question . . . . . . .

"How bad do you want it?"

For every excuse there's a answer , you don't have time? Get up an hour earlier/go to bed an hour later . You got to watch the kids? Get them involved , you got a injury? Train around it . You can't be bother? That's all you , not much I can help you with there I'm afraid .

My 2 cents if anyone's that bothered is , Don't over think things , plan a diet and work out routine , And the big thing , STICK WITH IT, that's really the hardest part , all the dieting and lifting weights and cardio etc are easy , it's the sticking with it that's hard .

If you or anyone else is really that intrested, I've got 4 golden easy to remember rules , That I now live by , I'm willing to post them on here or will PM them if anyone's that bothered to hear them?

All the best fellas .

Andy .

I went high protein low carb. I combined that with cycling every night to my permissions to see where the pigeons where (this was a summer activity).

The bit I found hard was about half way once you feel like you achieved something and you deserve something back. My weight loss wasn't as dramamtic as others, about 2.5 stone - but my fitness increase was incredible - I ended up doing about 100 miles a week cycling around my various permissions.

Now it's winter I've stopped the cycling for a short time - the diet isn't as strict about the carbs as it once was, but I've found my eating habits have changed dramatically and I'm keeping the weight off.

Edited by Bleeh

My weight slowly crept up over the last 10-15 years , was sort of about 15/16 stone for most of that time , but as you get older.... It can slowly happen more I guess .

Ok here go's , My 4 golden rules , would just like to say at this point , this with out a shadow of doubt worked for me , But fully agree it may not be for everyone , it's a case of trying things and see what works out best for you I guess .

(1) Eat whatever you want .

What a great rule huh? , however , IF you are really trying to lose a few pounds , just keep a mindful eye on the things your eating , If I was to put 10 meals out in front of most people and said what's good for you? What's bad for you? Most people can workout for themselves what's good or bad , if you trying to lose a bit of fat , DONT live off kebabs and chips , Just be sensible about it .

(2) Only eat when you are hungry .

On a scale of 1 to 10 ( Remeber this bit because I'll keep coming back to this scale) 1 being absolutely staving , 10 being completely stuffed , you want to try to stay in around 4 - 6 , DONT allow yourself to become all weak and shacky and bad tempered , Just go to beyond being peckish , so maybe a 4/5 . If you are unsure , drink a pint of water and wait half a hour and then ask yourself again , Am I really hungry , NOT bored or stressed , Not eating because everyone else is , not because it's lunchtime , you only eat because your actually hungry .

(3) make an event of mealtimes .

This for me was the hardest one , try to really enjoy your meals , put a little effort to making them , sit at a table and eat , don't watch TV , or read , or do anything else , make eating the most important thing you doing while you eat , take your time , really chew , you should take up to 4 times to eat over what we all normally do , IE just shoving it all in , savour the flavours and take your time . Enjoy what your eating to the full .

(4) STOP when you have had enough .

If you doing number 3 properly , you should be taking your time , enjoying your food , making a really effort to savour and really taste your food , chewing well and not being distracted by the TV etc... .and when when you at 6 ish from our scale , stop and put your food away . Don't finish it because there's food still on the plate etc..

I find that meals that you can just pick up the eat , but stop and put away again when you have had enough are the best things to try to have lots of .

Don't really take that much planning or effort to workout what's the best thing for yourself .

So , you want to try to stay within 4 - 6 , don't allow yourself to get over hungry , all weak shaky etc... Or you don't want to over eat when you start either.

If after an hour or two you think your hungry again , guess what you do? Ask yourself " Am I really hungry?" if unsure have a drink of water and ask yourself again in 30 minutes .

If you can honestly say , Yupp , I'm hungry , eat if not , don't .

Don't eat cause your bored , stressed , it's lunchtime , everyone else is etc..... The ONLY time you eat is when your hungry , you cans till have a cheat day / meal , life's too short to not have a few pleasures , but remember this the next time you hit the gym .

Lastly , have a well thought out exercise plan , and drink plenty of water . Said it was easy didn't I?

Hope this helps someone , anyone has any questions , please feel free to ask away , just remember I'm not claiming to be a professional trainer here , just some guy who lost 5 store in 5 months .

All the best fellas .

Andy .

If you lost weight by eating 1500 calories per day until you reached your goal then went back to the men's recommended 2500 calories per day would weight be put back on?

It depends on your weight to start with. Check the Basal Metabolic Rate calculator for what your maintenance calorie allowance is. www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

1000 calories a day deficit is a 2lb per week weight loss, but is very hard to do just by food alone. I get more joy out of a 500 calorie deficit on a maintenance level and burning more calories in exercise.

If you ate at a deficit and then went back to maintenance level calories then technically you should maintain your weight. The 2500 calories would not be a maintenance level if you were a 50 year old 5'6" man weighing 200lb with a sedentary lifestyle, it would be more than 300 calories over what was needed, and would therefore increase weight at a pound every 12 days. If the man were 6' and 20 years old and sedentary it would be a maintenance level.

So the logic is correct, but generalised calorie allowances are bull****. The only thing that makes me more cross is the use of BMI in treating individuals.