Browning B725 chrome lining failing

affinity121

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the others who say you should expect far better from the seller

Nobody would buy a car or TV and expect to be without it for more than a few days without a replacement being supplied and expect the item to be repaired in a couple of weeks if possible

Fit for purpose is our right and only when we demand it will makers start taking attention to the repair and quality control of their products

With fit for purpose the seller has every right to return to the manufacture middleman so no real hardship to them

This is an easy one-take the gun back to the dealer who sold it to you-your "contract" is with him and has nothing to do with Browning. When you bought the gun you entered into a contract with the dealer to supply you with goods "fit for purpose" and that should last a "reasonable" time depending on purchase price and reasonable use.

As the gun is showing signs of a manufacturing fault you have grounds to demand that the dealer honours his side of the contract and supplies you with a product that meets your original requirement-he must repair the gun if it does not inconvenience you or replace it if it does-he could loan you a gun of similar quality if mutually agreed. Don't pussy foot around-speak to Trading Standards and know your rights.

mmm B22 you might be wrong,the warrenty contract is with Browning,the producer,not the shop,Browning has the right to repair,and can try a reasonable amount of times before the need to replace it with a new gun.practices like Mark and sparks,where you can take something back and get an immediate replacement is M&S good will policy.not a requirement and it makes people assume anything can be replaced upon demand.

what should happen it that the shop should write a report about the condition to Browning and Browning should take the gun back and replace it,but they don't have too,considering how new it is a replacement should be immediate,but.....

What was wrong with your 692 if you dont mind me asking?

5 things were on the list but the main and most important the gun would not click shut as the top lever was to tight to come back, they changed the top lever and some parts underneath in the end

Might give it another going over tonight and try a bit of hoppe's no 9. I will try and take some pictures however you know how hard it is doing this.

Mine looked like fouling in the barrel and a bit like orange peel affect also

mmm B22 you might be wrong,the warrenty contract is with Browning,the producer,not the shop,Browning has the right to repair,and can try a reasonable amount of times before the need to replace it with a new gun.practices like Mark and sparks,where you can take something back and get an immediate replacement is M&S good will policy.not a requirement and it makes people assume anything can be replaced upon demand.

what should happen it that the shop should write a report about the condition to Browning and Browning should take the gun back and replace it,but they don't have too,considering how new it is a replacement should be immediate,but.....

Check the facts of law and statutory consumer rights. Nothing at all to do with the manufacturer solely the retailer....... This is UK and EU law.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

The Truth: The Sale of Goods Act says that your MP3 player must be fit for purpose.

"It must be as described. It must be of satisfactory quality, sufficiently durable, free from any defects," says Dr Christian Twigg-Flesner, a consumer law expert at the University of Hull.

If you've ignored the manufacturer's warnings and have been leaving the player out in direct sunshine and wearing it in the bath, then you probably haven't got much of a case.

But if the player has been lovingly treated and has still conked out that suggests something may have been wrong with it at the very beginning.

It works like this. For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong.

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, the consumer is not going to be overly gutted. If their washing machine goes after the same time span they are going to be livid.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

And be aware that if you go to the washing machine repairer, spend money attempting to diagnose an inherent fault, and find out you have been using it the wrong way, then you are going to be out of pocket.

A key fact is that your relationship in the Sale of Goods Act is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

"The retailer likes shepherding you off to the manufacturer," says Dr Twigg-Flesner.

And there are still reasons why you might want an extended warranty - they often include loan machines and ongoing technical support that you would otherwise miss out on. But they are not always good value, says Dr Twigg-Flesner.

"I've never bought one."

Where it applies: The law applies across the UK, but has numerous small differences as applied in Scotland.

Edited by HDAV

retromic-with the greatest of respect you are incorrect in one major aspect-the OP is returning the gun under his "consumer rights" and not under the warranty terms (which are offered in addition to your consumer rights)-your consumer rights in the UK are about the best in Europe-the problem is that nobody bothers to read them-millions of people throw money away every year buying extended warranties for white goods-your consumer rights are far more powerful and can last up to 7 years.

Yes in fairness they did say they were very busy fixing the 692,s as all new models take priority

My 692 only took a week and was back to me

Can I ask what problem you had with your 692, I have one and when you turn the ejectors off one of them after two or three shots comes back on again.

like i said I think you are wrong,obviously I am :) fair enough,i've delt with a few independant retailers and they have all been nobs when it goes wrong and don't want to play,i've ended up going straight to the manafacturer,it may be the law but it costs a lot to get a local retailer to accept their liability then

Nobody would buy a car or TV and expect to be without it for more than a few days without a replacement being supplied and expect the item to be repaired in a couple of weeks if possible

Fit for purpose is our right and only when we demand it will makers start taking attention to the repair and quality control of their products

With fit for purpose the seller has every right to return to the manufacture middleman so no real hardship to them

You are entitled to say that but if you go into the dealer shouting the odds and he returns after ten minutes to say I have cleaned it all and its fine now.who is going to look more than a little foolish.

I am half thinking of buying a 725 so I'd be very interested and grateful to know the outcome of this potentially worrying story. I'm inclined to go with the lead build up theory, especially as I use fibre wads and often notice shiny deposits on really tight cleaning cleaning felts in conjunction with Hoppes no. 9. Hope the original poster will keep us informed of the outcome.

I have several guns in my cabinets that are not chrome bores so lets just say the lining is flaking does this make the gun not fit for purpose.how many birds have you faied to hit because of it.it gives no rise to any safety issues.and in no way stops the gun being used for its intended purpose.steel shot is not an issue as you can also fire these through unlined barrels.so the gun is fit for the purpose of shooting which it was designed and made for.so now we can't argue on that score what does dr twigglet suggest we try next.i am not saying that the issue should not be rectified by the maker of course it should but technicalities can and do play a major part in all these sort of things.and always supposing its not fouling of course.

I am half thinking of buying a 725 so I'd be very interested and grateful to know the outcome of this potentially worrying story. I'm inclined to go with the lead build up theory, especially as I use fibre wads and often notice shiny deposits on really tight cleaning cleaning felts in conjunction with Hoppes no. 9. Hope the original poster will keep us informed of the outcome.

Do not let this put you off if you only bought what you never heard had any faults at all none of us would own anything.there are millions of guns out there and the majority give a lifetime of unfailing use.

I have several guns in my cabinets that are not chrome bores so lets just say the lining is flaking does this make the gun not fit for purpose.how many birds have you faied to hit because of it.it gives no rise to any safety issues.and in no way stops the gun being used for its intended purpose.steel shot is not an issue as you can also fire these through unlined barrels.so the gun is fit for the purpose of shooting which it was designed and made for.so now we can't argue on that score what does dr twigglet suggest we try next.i am not saying that the issue should not be rectified by the maker of course it should but technicalities can and do play a major part in all these sort of things.and always supposing its not fouling of course.

I would say that the gun was sold with the benefit of a chromed lining to the barrel, and that if this chrome is failing it is not as advertised or of the expected life of the chrome barrel. it is irrelevant that the gun can still go bang or other guns do not have a feature. So I would say the chromed barrel was not fit for purpose in that the chrome was failing after a few months

Edited by ChrisAsh

I would say that the gun was sold with the benefit of a chromed lining to the barrel, and that if this chrome is failing it is not as advertised or of the expected life of the chrome barrel. it is irrelevant that the gun can still go bang or other guns do not have a feature. So I would say the chromed barrel was not fit for purpose in that the chrome was failing after a few months

I quoted your post as you were of the demanding type response towards the dealer.i have found that if you go into a shop with the attitude I want now and I know my rights you will indeed get nowhere.if you went into a shop and were greeted with a gruff what do you want you may leave the shop empty handed.it is in the dealers interest to help and do as much as he can to make you the customer happy reputation makes or breaks a business however it would not be in their interest to cover the failings of a manufacturer in another continent as this would lead to bankruptcy.we can all find a page on the web somewhere that can be interpreted in a way that suits us as one I found did indeed state you are entitled to a replacement or full refund but only up to around five weeks.after six months you have the right to a repair or replacement but must give the retailer /maker adequate time to do this.in this case we do not even know if the gun has failed or if it is fouling yet some want the iron fist instantly.if there is a fault I would guess at browning giving a replacement set of tubes as rechroming would be to costly an option however this would liable take several weeks as I recently wanted to buy a set and was told it would take some time to get them.if they are faulty and the dealer says he will send them away for inspection and repair/replace then that is fair he cannot be held responsible for the importers timescale in dealing with it ultimately it will be browning who sort it and as much as it may not be to our liking we must accept this to an extent.as I have said earlier I have an excellent relationship with my gunsmith that has come about through mutual respect and not confrontation he has given me and many others excellent service over the years.the consumer protection act is in place to protect against blatant attempts to rip people off not for instant refunds at the first hint of a problem.hopefully it will turn out to be lead for the op and he can carry on and enjoy the rest of his season.

Edited by bostonmick

Apologies guys for the delayed update busy weekend shooting :)

Took the gun back to the RFD and he suspected the same thing which was slightly worrying however wanted to have a closer look. Long story short it turned out to be lead and to get it removed he had to soak the thing in cleaner not literally. Apparently it was one of the hardest things to clean off he had seen in a while. I'm happy he is happy so win win. After approx 400 cartridges this weekend there is no signs of the same issue so what caused it in the first place who knows.

Once again cheers for the help all it was greatly appreciated

Glad to hear it turned out ok

Ps boston I never indicated going in heavy handed, just pointed out the buyers rights. I actually run a shop myself and therefore aware of consumers rights as well as distant selling regs, both of which can add considerably to my costs if I sell items that are not fit for purpose