Browning B725 chrome lining failing

affinity121

As the title says I am pretty annoyed that I spent around 2k on a gun this time last year and the chrome lining in both barrels just in front of the forcing cones are starting to fail. It is actually coming off in tiny flakes when the barels are cleaned.

Maintenance on the gun has been second to non since purchase using the bisley cleaning kit and Napier gun cleaner after every outing.

The fact is we are now in the middle of the shot season where I shoot game every Saturday and cannot afford time for it to be repaired. If they even will repair it free of charge. Has anyone else has this problem?

To be honest I cannot see any problems me delaying reporting this until the end of the game season as this will put the gun just over the 1 year old mark and surely within its warranty period.

I would be greatful if someone could advise on what they think I should do.

All the best.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi fruity cheers for the reply. Sorry to hear that. How long did the process take for repair start to finish and were you given anything for the huge royal pain in the butt it caused?

I was giving nothing by gmk even thou I asked , and after constant phone calls chasing it(every 2 days ) , I received it back in around 3 weeks which by then my new 692 had also developed a problem so that was then returned to gmk

Changing a barrel on a semi isn't a big job.... 3 weeks they must be backed up in the GMK workshop! Contact the retailer and see what they say. That's the first thing to do. They will likely pcontact BWM and it will go from there.

Yes in fairness they did say they were very busy fixing the 692,s as all new models take priority

My 692 only took a week and was back to me

I once sent a Browning back under guarantee with a crack in the stock, stating I wanted it for the game season starting in two weeks. They returned the gun saying use it for the season as it was, and they would have it collected season end for repair. This is what they did and I received it back repaired about four months later.

I thought BWM Arms Ltd went bust and lost exclusive UK importing rights for browning. Do you know how to contact them / or browning because for some reason browning don't advertise any email of phone number to get to them on.

Four months without your gun is a huge joke. What model was it ? Did you get compensation or anything along the lines

This is an easy one-take the gun back to the dealer who sold it to you-your "contract" is with him and has nothing to do with Browning. When you bought the gun you entered into a contract with the dealer to supply you with goods "fit for purpose" and that should last a "reasonable" time depending on purchase price and reasonable use.

As the gun is showing signs of a manufacturing fault you have grounds to demand that the dealer honours his side of the contract and supplies you with a product that meets your original requirement-he must repair the gun if it does not inconvenience you or replace it if it does-he could loan you a gun of similar quality if mutually agreed. Don't pussy foot around-speak to Trading Standards and know your rights.

We are hearing more of this type of situation all the time nowadays and I suggest some of the problem lay with building to a price however it. Is also we expect to get items at a lower cost.so pressure on the makers from us as well.i doubt this will be an isolated incident as barrels are chromed in large batches so check your gun even the higher grades as the same barrels are used on many of them.i doubt you will get a new gun from your dealer under warranty as in the first instance you must give him reasonable time to arrange repair.i am sure he will do his best to help.depending on your relationship with your dealer he may loan you a gun but I feel unlikely.it is very frustrating for us when things go wrong but that is part of life I am afraid return your gun be polite and friendly ask if he has anything he could let you use for the rest of the season so at very least you can make a few bangs.do you not have any friends that would loan you a gun for shoot days.i wish you all the best for a speedy and happy conclusion.

The maker and then the dealer set the price of any item-it is up to them to calculate the manufacturing costs and then add the profit margin-the item is then offered for sale fit for the purpose that it is intended for. Our man has paid over £2 for his item and has every right to expect a good quality item that will last a reasonable time-this has not been the case and, by law, even if the gun was 5 years old he would have a good case to take the matter to court-in fact if I were in his shoes and the dealer had the audacity to say that the product was out of warranty I would go straight to my nearest small claims court and start legal proceedings. As mentioned-if you are not happy with your dealers response go to trading standards-we have some of the most powerfull consumer rights in Europe.

The maker and then the dealer set the price of any item-it is up to them to calculate the manufacturing costs and then add the profit margin-the item is then offered for sale fit for the purpose that it is intended for. Our man has paid over £2 for his item and has every right to expect a good quality item that will last a reasonable time-this has not been the case and, by law, even if the gun was 5 years old he would have a good case to take the matter to court-in fact if I were in his shoes and the dealer had the audacity to say that the product was out of warranty I would go straight to my nearest small claims court and start legal proceedings. As mentioned-if you are not happy with your dealers response go to trading standards-we have some of the most powerfull consumer rights in Europe.

Oh dear oh dear.you sound like a very angry person.the dealer has supplied what he firmly believed to be a fit for purpose item.he will endeavour to do his utmost to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.but let us enter into your world so the rfd takes the faulty gun back he gives you a new one from his stock then has to order a new replacement for stock so he can carry on his trade and earn a living so up to now he is 4k out of pocket he then sends the faulty item back and awaits a resolution which will liable be a repair so now he has a used gun back to sell on so another 500 pound loss to him.all this for a gun that he would have earned at most 100 on in the first place.what we would end up with under these conditions is fewer dealers charging higher prices maybe even not stocking the cheaper models at all only getting them in on order.and I am sorry to tell you 2k is not high end price today.i personally have a very good relationship with my dealer and know that if I returned one of my guns for repair that I would be offered a loan gun if I needed.the original poster of this is quite at liberty to take your route if they wish to waste time and money as the trading standards and small claims will not entertain you as you have given them no time to rectify this matter.also you will find that as you go through life you will get better service if you build up a good relationship with rfd rather than shouting the odds and alienate the dealer.

Edited by bostonmick

Are they really likely to repair, i.e. re-chrome the inside of the barrels? Or would they more likely replace the barrels or the whole gun? Either way if I were the owner I would keep using it till the end of the season, then return it to the seller as faulty. Then I would buy an older gun without chrome lined barrels and look after it with the same care.

Oh dear oh dear.you sound like a very angry person.the dealer has supplied what he firmly believed to be a fit for purpose item.he will endeavour to do his utmost to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.but let us enter into your world so the rfd takes the faulty gun back he gives you a new one from his stock then has to order a new replacement for stock so he can carry on his trade and earn a living so up to now he is 4k out of pocket he then sends the faulty item back and awaits a resolution which will liable be a repair so now he has a used gun back to sell on so another 500 pound loss to him.all this for a gun that he would have earned at most 100 on in the first place.what we would end up with under these conditions is fewer dealers charging higher prices maybe even not stocking the cheaper models at all only getting them in on order.and I am sorry to tell you 2k is not high end price today.i personally have a very good relationship with my dealer and know that if I returned one of my guns for repair that I would be offered a loan gun if I needed.the original poster of this is quite at liberty to take your route if they wish to waste time and money as the trading standards and small claims will not entertain you as you have given them no time to rectify this matter.also you will find that as you go through life you will get better service if you build up a good relationship with rfd rather than shouting the odds and alienate the dealer.

:good: Keep the dealer on your side, faulty material isn't his fault even if by law your contract is with him, personally I'd be annoyed but wouldn't dream of troubling him for a loan gun.

Are they really likely to repair, i.e. re-chrome the inside of the barrels? Or would they more likely replace the barrels or the whole gun? Either way if I were the owner I would keep using it till the end of the season, then return it to the seller as faulty. Then I would buy an older gun without chrome lined barrels and look after it with the same care.

Maybe not rechrome these barrels could give new ones although this would still take a few weeks what with shipping and the barrels having to be timed to the action.I have asked this before on similar posts but here goes did you buy from a dealer or a gunsmith.i only ever buy from the latter as it will save a lot of time if and when a repair is ever needed.my chap inspects all gums before they go on his shelf and being the perfectionist that he is has in the past sent many new ones back to the importer as unacceptable and for a lot less than you might think.the ones who soley deal in guns can tend to have very little knowledge of what they are selling other than the price.i have come across some of these and needless to say left their shops empty handed.

Cheers for the replies all.

I am going to go to my RFD tomorrow and see what he says.

For the person that asked I always shoot fibre wads. There hasn't been one single plastic wad or steel cartridge through it.

I really love the gun don't get me wrong the whole situation has just put a downer on things. I would never consider bulling the RFD straight away as I am sure he will be good with the repair etc. When / if it goes away for repair I would not accept anything longer than 2 months without compensation of some sort.

Will let you all know how it goes.

are you sure its chrome? because the lining is very very small.

it could be lead buildup flaking off.

Which is exactly what I was wondering and why I asked. Fibres leave lead residue in the forcing cones which is very shiny when rodded out and looks just like chrome. I nearly had a heart attack the first time it happened to me. Bear in mind that the chrome lining is not chrome plating and AFAIK cannot flake off. Easy way to test is to see if the flakes can be melted with a lighter.

So... Is there any visible damage or marking in the bores? If not then it's lead flakes you're seeing.

Guest cookoff013

As the title says I am pretty annoyed that I spent around 2k on a gun this time last year and the chrome lining in both barrels just in front of the forcing cones are starting to fail. It is actually coming off in tiny flakes when the barels are cleaned.

Maintenance on the gun has been second to non since purchase using the bisley cleaning kit and Napier gun cleaner after every outing.

The fact is we are now in the middle of the shot season where I shoot game every Saturday and cannot afford time for it to be repaired. If they even will repair it free of charge. Has anyone else has this problem?

To be honest I cannot see any problems me delaying reporting this until the end of the game season as this will put the gun just over the 1 year old mark and surely within its warranty period.

I would be greatful if someone could advise on what they think I should do.

All the best.

if fibre wads are used. the buildup of lead is highly likely.

and at around the forcing cones, the lead takes a pounding, this is where it can build up.

if alot of flakey material has been removed already. you should be seeing massive gouges in the barrel. its most likely just lead buildup. and it came out while cleaning.