single or multi

chefy

a single shot will do,but to be honest for hunting your better with a multi-shot just incase you need a follow on shot ,

defo a multi for hunting imo

atb Evo

Spot on. We all like to think the first shot will do the job, but sometimes you need another shot, sometimes you will actually see the pellet zip past the target and realize you have misjudged the range or wind.

I would love a multishot but have an AA s400 and must admit it's done me proud this year, it's just soo easy to shoot and accurate beyond belief out to my self imposed shooting stick hunting range limit of 35 yards (45 from a bipod in calmish conditions). I can easily reload a .177 pellet pretty quickly now. I had two rabbits run out chasing each other last month in the gloom of just beyond twilight, I was in the black of a shadow but had both laying on the deck within 20 seconds. I've been lamping this past month and still found it comfortable to roll a correctly orientated .177 pellet over my thumb with my index finger into the breech every time. I would trade the gun in for an s410 if I felt it necessary but to me, the s400's a keeper..... :good:

I would love a multishot but have an AA s400 and must admit it's done me proud this year, it's just soo easy to shoot and accurate beyond belief out to my self imposed shooting stick hunting range limit of 35 yards (45 from a bipod in calmish conditions). I can easily reload a .177 pellet pretty quickly now. I had two rabbits run out chasing each other last month in the gloom of just beyond twilight, I was in the black of a shadow but had both laying on the deck within 20 seconds. I've been lamping this past month and still found it comfortable to roll a correctly orientated .177 pellet over my thumb with my index finger into the breech every time. I would trade the gun in for an s410 if I felt it necessary but to me, the s400's a keeper..... :good:

do you find you get good kills with 177 is there much difference beetween 22 and 177

.177 will kill as effectively as .22, in act for roost shooting it is usually easier to thread a .177 through the branches!

I have made kill of both fur and feather with both ,177 and .22!

I have heard it all now, shooting upwards the trajectory is flatter in either (drop is related to the horizontal distance travelled only not the vertical) and in any case is of no tangible gain in either as regards "threading through branches" if anything its scope height. 30yds fired horizontally there is no difference to practical purposes in either. its hard to argue that a bigger heavier projectile is inferior at killing but either makes little to no difference at 12 ft lb

The best answer to the calibre debate is and always will be shoot at very sensible ranges or get a FAC

I have heard it all now, shooting upwards the trajectory is flatter in either (drop is related to the horizontal distance travelled only not the vertical) and in any case is of no tangible gain in either as regards "threading through branches" if anything its scope height. 30yds fired horizontally there is no difference to practical purposes in either. its hard to argue that a bigger heavier projectile is inferior at killing but either makes little to no difference at 12 ft lb

The best answer to the calibre debate is and always will be shoot at very sensible ranges or get a FAC

It is easier to shoot through branches at an angle, I know, been there done that, .177 is easier to roost shoot with than a .22!

I think if you are using for hunting then you deffo want a multi shot, for either a follow up shot, or if you get the the holdover wrong or windage then they are great as usually a pellet will zip past your target usually just alerting them if you have a good silencer, So good to have a quick reload that requires minimal movement. I cant remember the ammount of times i have had two kills within quick succession with the multishot. Some argue that the multishots are not as accurate but with modern magazines I beg to differ.

As for the old argument for .177 or .22 its all down to you and what sort of shooting you do, .177 will have a flatter trajectory so not very ,much hold under or holdover is needed compared to a .22 Also the .177 penetrates more but less energy is transferred so you have to be that little more accurate with the smaller pellet where as the .22 can give you a little room for error but not much, Bad points of the .177 are in the wind they are terrible, and they require a little more air from the gun but nor really an issue for hunting.

.22 just as accurate but will require allot more hold over and under, more knock down power, I find they are harder to shoot at range but im sure if you know your mill dots then you would be fine.

It really is up to you, either should do the job.

Hope this helps :)

It is easier to shoot through branches at an angle, I know, been there done that, .177 is easier to roost shoot with than a .22!

If you can back that up with facts rather than claims I am listening but wont hold my breath for anything worthwhile. You simply wont see a meaningful difference till the bottom line of the triangle (the horizontal distance of travel exceeds 35 yds plus) and that will put you out of range on the angled length travelled for any 12ft lb gun. Case in point if you shot both straight up layed out flat on your back the travel will be straight with no curve in either. AS Scotty said in Startreck " you canna break the laws of physics Jim"

Or are you saying that the .177 is thinner and less likely to hit a twig? LOL

If you can back that up with facts rather than claims I am listening but wont hold my breath for anything worthwhile. You simply wont see a meaningful difference till the bottom line of the triangle (the horizontal distance of travel exceeds 35 yds plus) and that will put you out of range on the angled length travelled for any 12ft lb gun. Case in point if you shot both straight up layed out flat on your back the travel will be straight with no curve in either. AS Scotty said in Startreck " you canna break the laws of physics Jim"

Or are you saying that the .177 is thinner and less likely to hit a twig? LOL

Although what you say is true, you do have to factor in the fact that to get to the same horizontal zero point a .22 will have to have the barrel at a slightly steeper elevation than a .177 - not much, granted, but enough to make the poi of a .22 higher than a .177 when shooting at an upward angle. But, as you say, a .177 has no inherent benefits, you just need to know the correct holdover/under on different situations for the calibre you use.

Although what you say is true, you do have to factor in the fact that to get to the same horizontal zero point a .22 will have to have the barrel at a slightly steeper elevation than a .177 - not much, granted, but enough to make the poi of a .22 higher than a .177 when shooting at an upward angle. But, as you say, a .177 has no inherent benefits, you just need to know the correct holdover/under on different situations for the calibre you use.

There is about 5 yds difference in zero between .22 and 177 over the horizontal the fact has been known for ages, competitively that's a difference in the field its academic. Instead of mounting very high silly large objective scopes that increase parallax aiming errors and pushes up your peak trajectory just try fitting a small objective scope real low, its amazing what you can achieve when you through away the BS and look closely at the facts.

Now from what you say the .177 is shooting high at 30 to drop in at 35, so as long as the HORIZONTAL range does not exceed 30 the .22 is the flattest (you cant have it all ways). Like I say its academic only when shooting inclined you wont hit any more twigs or any less with either

Edited by kent

Best of both worlds here mate , http://rowanengineering.com/products1.htm

What people never seem to consider with the .22 vs .177 debate is the grain of the pellet you are using and the power of the rifle. If you are using a lightweight .22 and you compare it to a heavy .177 their really isn't much difference in it. Assuming of course you have adjusted the power for the pellet you are using.

do you find you get good kills with 177 is there much difference beetween 22 and 177

Hi mate,

I hunted rabbits and pigeons with a .22 springer in 2011 and 12 and found a low tradjectory lightweight falcon Accuracy Plus pellet was just as deadly as a heavier RWS Superdome, so stuck with those. Oddly, rabbits tended to jump and flip a lot more frequently when accurately hit with a .22 (...?). This year I bought a .177 pcp and must say the .22 now really is just a backup incase the pcp goes wrong. It fells whatever I aim at incredibly humainely and rabbits seem to just roll over most of the time. I have found the AA Diablo Fields that I use pass straight through 9 times out of ten though but it makes little difference. My .177's only deviate 1/4" up or down in tradjectory from 15 to 40 yards when zeroed at 35 yards, so in the calmish conditions that I like to hunt in, I rarely aim outside the first mil-dot and keep my ranges sensible... :)

Best of both worlds here mate , http://rowanengineering.com/products1.htm

Thanks for the pointer Jega..... :good:

I saw these actually a while back while trawling Youtube, they seem a good compromise. I use the 'batch up and wait' tactics on rabbits and decoyed pigeons and must say I've only had more than two rabbits a session in my 3 year total of 73 only once..!! (That was 3 myxi ones back in August). A multishot just doesn't seem necessary to me at the moment. Very careful aim with a pcp within 35 yards usually ends the way I hope. On the very unfortunate times something has gone wrong (maybe they moved..?) and I've missed or clipped them, they don't hang about for a follow up. I do my best to avoid such things but sadly nothing's guaranteed and fortunately they've been a rare occurrence this year.

Definitely a multi shot for wabbits!

On a fair number of occasions on hitting a bunny another one closeby stands up looking/sniffing then bolts.

Not long enough to reload a single shot but long enough to get the 2nd shot off with a multi shot.

I did have an Ultra Multishot but it's pishy air capacity have been replaced since I recently got an R10 Mark2

Edited by shootinfishin

Multishot for the reasons detailed already.

.177 for me, I find it easier to shoot and more forgiving for less than perfect ranging. In other words I like clean kills and the vast majority are with my .177. When I tried a Daystate Huntsman in .22, I found I could group it well at a known range but got a lower percentage of clean kills due to being slightly high or low as a result of being a bit out on ranging. I could have bought a laser ranger but, sold the Daystate and bought another .177 which solved the problem for me.

The .177s? Both AirArms, first was a S400 and my current love, the S510...lush!