Made my first stick!

Lord Geordie

I had been meaning to make my own stick for a long time!

So having all the material to hand, I set about it today.

Firstly I took a quick measurement of both ends of the stick! I then realised I could recycle a few bits from old cartridges to create my stick!

So I carefully trimmed the bottom of the stick and a 20g brass was a bice tight fit. Tapoed that on, and it's such a snug fit it won't come off!

I then drilled out my Lyre, and set about trimming the stick into a dowel.

2013-11-22_22_56_41.jpg

Then I managed to find a black gold brass which is just a sleeve, this was a perfect fit and makes a great collar!

2013-11-22_22_56_27.jpg

Then, after drilling out the Lyre I used resin to bond it onto the dowel.

2013-11-22_22_56_14.jpg

Then after a little rubbing down and a quick coat of danish oil, Voila!

2013-11-22_22_57_43.jpg

I am quite pleased with the result, bearing in mind it's my first go I was surprised it went so well.

Edited by Lord Geordie

Looking good, I should use some epoxy on that cartridge head though. Interesting way of attaching the handle most I have spoken with (myself included) use a section of threaded bar for its strength. Its a fine pastime and fills you with pride when people stop and ask you were you got your stick and you get to say " I made it myself " :good:

Unfortunately you will now become a stick hawk, always on the look out for a good blank- no hedgerow will go unscanned :whistling:

Looking good, I should use some epoxy on that cartridge head though. Interesting way of attaching the handle most I have spoken with (myself included) use a section of threaded bar for its strength. Its a fine pastime and fills you with pride when people stop and ask you were you got your stick and you get to say " I made it myself " :good:

Unfortunately you will now become a stick hawk, always on the look out for a good blank- no hedgerow will go unscanned :whistling:

Already stick hawking. Found myself a nice ready cut rose shank last year that is NOW ready to make a stick :D

That looks the business , was it a hazel stick

Yes, A Hazel shank! Thanks for the comment!

You did a great job for your first, i love stick making. i was making a thumb stick like yours out of buffalo horn i cut a piece of just the right size the bigger bit is to make a cruck, so the smaller piece i need to square it of first so boiled it in water for an hour like you would do with rams horn.

Took it out of the water and into my 8 inch bench vice, trying to get it square need to put some welly on the vice so used a piece of pipe good job i was facing the other way as it craked me bleeding vice, that is some strong horn.