Lever action calibre

The Mighty Prawn

38/357 will be cheaper to shoot than 44 mag if you buy factory ammo. I homeload 357 for rimfire money-50 rounds cost me around £4 to make.

I reuse my brass and cast my own bullets so the only costs are 3p for a primer and 5p for the powder. I use 9 grains of Alliant 2400,but if you switched to a fast burning powder like Bullseye you could get away with only 3 grains so reduces costs even more.

However,if you use FMJ's your costs will rise significantly.

If you're thinking of buying a Winchester I would advise against a .357 and go for the .44. The .357 is prone to ejector/extractor problems and spares are now virtually unobtainable.

It is not an extractor problem really. Due to the Winchester 94 action being built for longer cases and slightly wider at the head it is difficult to control between the magazine and the loading gate and can hinder topping the magazine so Winchester fitted a little gizzmo to assit cartridge postioning to allow the operator to top the magazine up. Without it the 357 cartridge head fouls the loading gate.

Mine gizzmo broke as they can do but soon got two others, one spare. In fact when mine broke I had no idea for ages as the gun feeds and shoots just fine, only topping up of the magazine becomes the issue.

Swapping a round is still doable!

Winchester 92 and the clones are fine, so are the 73 and 76 clones.

Remember....Marlins can have issues! In fact as any gun can!

U.

Planning on using it for practical gallery rifle, does involve knocking over non-standard targets so the added knock down power of the .44 is probably going to be useful - I did look a lot at ammo on sale but the massive variables in .38 .357 and .44 meant I couldn't really find a good comparison for cost between them

What about 9mm and get a lever release ar from southern guns? Looks a lot of fun and would be cheap to reload

I know where there's 2 going very cheaply, mine and someone else's, both blew up with identical results. Can't say much more as this is still ongoing after 18 months!. And if you reload you invalidate ANY warranty, even if it blows up using factory ammunition!.

Get a Henry Big Boy in 44mag, superb rifle, if you must buy a marlin make sure it's not one of the Remington ones, they are utter carp!.

Here's what a nice under lever looks like (minus scope)

Henry.jpg

Cost wise, I reload indoor gallery loads for around £12/100, 3p each for primer and powder, 6p for a cast boolit (even cheaper if you cast your own!) shoots very nice ragged 3/4" hole groups all day long :D

Edited by phaedra1106

Can't say too much but two of them have now had a catastrophic failure with identical results, picatinny rail sheared away from the upper, rear locking lug sheared through causing the upper & lower to separate and damage to the magazine well. Most probable causes are poor quality casting or the very large amount removed from the chamber throat to improve the very common feed problems leaving a lot of the case exposed with no support allowing it to rupture under pressure.

Both rifles ended up like this,

3.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

If you're looking for something like the 9mm then have a chat with Caledonian Classic Arms, they have the very reliable Czech VZ58 coming very soon in "trigger release" version, press once to fire, bolt then locks back, press again to release the bolt, press again to fire. Should be cheaper than the 9mm and available in 223, 7.62x39 and other calibres later.

http://www.caledonianclassicarms.com/acatalog/vz.58.html

Jonah - By all accounts the K22's are excellent, I'd hang on a bit for the next batch as Scott reckons there's several minor improvements coming :)

"There are a number of minor changes to the pistol on the current batch. From a shooters perspective the most notable one is that the enlarged mag button is now ambidextrous, this keeps things in line with all the other controls which are left and right.

New extended safety much improved, actually a little smaller but the operation is now more akin to Brownings et all. (GP35 / 1911 etc) everyone is familiar with that!

New magazines with easy load springs and integrated follower buttons due for December. These will be 10 round as standard.

Similar date for 20 round mag extensions, integrated red dot slide, magazine well flair.

A few other accessories intended for release before Christmas."

There's a thread running on Fullbore UK http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=14364

Mighty Prawn - With 44 mag you can get 10+1, with 44 special I believe it's 11+1 :)